1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5

    whats wrong with my bike?

    so im extremely new to mountain bikes, i started this past saturday. i wanted something fun to do outside the gym (im a crossfit coach) and i am a freshman at the university of memphis i wanted to get around campus easier. i bought my bike impulsively a 2013 haro flightline sport. i thought it was bad AF, not so much. since i first got it the bike doesnt like shifting up in gears on the chainring(i think thats what its called) the other gears on the cog shift fine. also the chain is slipping underfoot pressure, the problem is becoming worse. when the bike is on a stand and the tires spin freely the gears shift fine with no chain skipping. i took it back to the shop i got it from yesterday and they adjusted the derailleurs and did something with the chain. i think it made it worse. today i was riding on the street doing 20-30 and the chain ****ing flys off and i almost get my a$$ run over. not cool!! i didnt expect to spend 580 on a bike and it not work from the getgo. what do you guys suggest i do? any advice will help and be greatly appreciated!!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,798
    You don't have high end components but that shouldn't happen.
    When you say slipping you mean the chain loses connection with the gear teeth? Is it slipping in front or rear? Does it happen when shifting or just from pedal pressure?
    When you say it flew off, do you mean you dropped the chain while shifting?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    43
    Check to make sure the chain isn't defective. I bought my wife a Diamondback women's bike a couple of years ago, and it came from the factory with a messed up chain. One of the links was suck and wouldn't move freely. It was causing the bike to shift randomly and the chain dropped a couple of times on the trail. It was fine on smooth surfaces or on a bike stand, but as soon as it hit bumpy terrain it started shifting on it's own. I replaced the chain and it was all good.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    You don't have high end components but that shouldn't happen.
    When you say slipping you mean the chain loses connection with the gear teeth? Is it slipping in front or rear? Does it happen when shifting or just from pedal pressure?
    When you say it flew off, do you mean you dropped the chain while shifting?
    It happens both randomly and when shifting, it seems the more torque the more it will slip. The chain loses connection with the gear and the pedal go free for a second. When I say flew of it completely derailed, the pedals loss tension and I busted my butt. I called the bike shop and they are gonna try to fix it again. It just sucks because I bought new pedals and they got torn to trash when I fell. And the grips got torn up as well. I know that's bound to happen but still it's day 4 lol

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,798
    Quote Originally Posted by cjvdbeek View Post
    Check to make sure the chain isn't defective. I bought my wife a Diamondback women's bike a couple of years ago, and it came from the factory with a messed up chain. One of the links was suck and wouldn't move freely. It was causing the bike to shift randomly and the chain dropped a couple of times on the trail. It was fine on smooth surfaces or on a bike stand, but as soon as it hit bumpy terrain it started shifting on it's own. I replaced the chain and it was all good.

    Good point. You can wiggle each link and make sure you don't have any tight pins. And have the shop confirm that you have an 8 speed chain for your 8 speed system.

  6. #6
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,024
    You need to adjust your shifting system. Not atypical of a new bike. Either take it back to where you got it and have them do it or learn and do it yourself.

    For the latter: Park Tool Co.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,798
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    You need to adjust your shifting system. Not atypical of a new bike. Either take it back to where you got it and have them do it or learn and do it yourself.

    For the latter: Park Tool Co.
    He already took it back to the shop and it didn't help. That kinda seems like its more than just an adjustment issue.

  8. #8
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    I think he mention front chainring shifting, and doing it under pressure. Since the rear cog is doing fine according to him it sounds like a normal behavior to me. Front shifting is pretty much the weakest doing it under load would be almost useless and if you do it at higher speed under load and get a chain suck and continue to pedal you can rip the chain sending it flying.

    It's not so much the bike's fault, just work on the shifting technique, let off the pedaling pressure right before you shift, pedal easy to help the shifting from one ring to another. Rear can take a bit more load but you need to do the same. Higher end drivetrain components can take more load but the front shifting is still the weakest, unless of course you get the internal front shifting kind, then you can shift anywhere and any time

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ivan67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by willmcd308 View Post
    so im extremely new to mountain bikes, i started this past saturday. i wanted something fun to do outside the gym (im a crossfit coach) and i am a freshman at the university of memphis i wanted to get around campus easier. i bought my bike impulsively a 2013 haro flightline sport. i thought it was bad AF, not so much. since i first got it the bike doesnt like shifting up in gears on the chainring(i think thats what its called) the other gears on the cog shift fine. also the chain is slipping underfoot pressure, the problem is becoming worse. when the bike is on a stand and the tires spin freely the gears shift fine with no chain skipping. i took it back to the shop i got it from yesterday and they adjusted the derailleurs and did something with the chain. i think it made it worse. today i was riding on the street doing 20-30 and the chain ****ing flys off and i almost get my a$$ run over. not cool!! i didnt expect to spend 580 on a bike and it not work from the getgo. what do you guys suggest i do? any advice will help and be greatly appreciated!!
    Have you tried going back to the LBS and kicking the salesman in the nuts? It is a Haro and these things just have a mind of their own sometime, so maybe if you sacrifice that blokes sack the Haro will get right.
    De oppresso liber

  10. #10
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,024
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    He already took it back to the shop and it didn't help. That kinda seems like its more than just an adjustment issue.
    Unless the brand new bike is damaged, it's an adjustment issue. The bike shop did not set it up properly if it throws the chain. Hopefully the shop will be able to identify the cause, if not I repeat my suggestion of trying the Park site or perhaps finding a shop which is more adept.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,798
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Unless the brand new bike is damaged, it's an adjustment issue. The bike shop did not set it up properly if it throws the chain. Hopefully the shop will be able to identify the cause, if not I repeat my suggestion of trying the Park site or perhaps finding a shop which is more adept.
    Well I guess I'm just assuming that bike shop knows how to adjust a bike. But maybe not.
    You are right that a brand new bike could be damaged. Damage during shipping (bent derailleur etc) is a possibility.

    Also, sometimes bike shops swap out parts or use parts laying around the shop on a new build. They could have accidentally installed a 10 speed chain.

    Mimi has a good point about shifting technique. Shifting the front under load will produce most of the symptoms mentioned. But he also said it happens randomly, when not shifting, so....

  12. #12
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,024
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Well I guess I'm just assuming that bike shop knows how to adjust a bike. But maybe not.
    You are right that a brand new bike could be damaged. Damage during shipping (bent derailleur etc) is a possibility.

    Also, sometimes bike shops swap out parts or use parts laying around the shop on a new build. They could have accidentally installed a 10 speed chain.

    Mimi has a good point about shifting technique. Shifting the front under load will produce most of the symptoms mentioned. But he also said it happens randomly, when not shifting, so....
    I would say that in my experience it is very rare that a bike shop swaps any parts from bikes to sell and unfortunately there are too many bikes shops which should be called into question in the quality of their work. Also, even the best shops will have a wrench having a bad day now and again so I like to let the shop try to rectify any issues before I go bashing them.

    Shifting, bent hanger, broken parts are all a very good call it could also be a hundred different things; sometimes it's hard to fix bikes over the internet.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ivan67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    140
    Remember folks, he is a crossfit trainer and freshman at a public university. Some twat could have walked by his bike chained up and given it a good kick for ever reason. Just because it is a university does not mean it is a cultivated society.
    De oppresso liber

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan67 View Post
    Remember folks, he is a crossfit trainer and freshman at a public university. Some twat could have walked by his bike chained up and given it a good kick for ever reason. Just because it is a university does not mean it is a cultivated society.
    I only leaved my bike outside between class and the campus is so busy I just don't see anyone doing that. But I did take it back to the shop and the cog was worn out. They replaced it for free and now it rides just fine. Shifting problems are gone as well. Thanks for the help guys!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,798
    How does a new bike have a worn out cog?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    How does a new bike have a worn out cog?
    I was just about to ask this...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckeieio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    399
    Not even a week old and these bozos are telling you that you wore out a chain ring? Return it and go somewhere else. Anywhere else...

    Edit. Maybe I jumped the gun there. Was this bike sold to you new or used on Saturday?
    GTA
    Ontario

  18. #18
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    No offense to OP, but may be that's what the shop told you they did, sometime it's just hard to relay a message to/from someone. Hey, as long as it's fixed hooray!!!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ivan67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by willmcd308 View Post
    I only leaved my bike outside between class and the campus is so busy I just don't see anyone doing that. But I did take it back to the shop and the cog was worn out. They replaced it for free and now it rides just fine. Shifting problems are gone as well. Thanks for the help guys!
    Look I do not wish to offend you but worn out that fast on a new bike, I think they took advantage of you and you should return it.

    I am sure if you took it back and then posted a question on one of the forums looking for a good LBS in what ever city you are in, then the riders here would certainly point you in the right direction.

    Just my thoughts mate, not trying to offend.
    De oppresso liber

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    No offense to OP, but may be that's what the shop told you they did, sometime it's just hard to relay a message to/from someone. Hey, as long as it's fixed hooray!!!
    i was chilling with the guy who fixed my bike i watched him take a new cog off the shelf and put it on the bike lol. the guy said there was no way i was the cause of it, thats why its was free. he thinks it came from haro messed up, either way the shop took care of me the bike is riding great.

  21. #21
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    Quote Originally Posted by willmcd308 View Post
    i was chilling with the guy who fixed my bike i watched him take a new cog off the shelf and put it on the bike lol. the guy said there was no way i was the cause of it, thats why its was free. he thinks it came from haro messed up, either way the shop took care of me the bike is riding great.
    Wonder why they sell it to you in the first place. Before they sell you the bike, it has to go thru the safety check. Well, the good news is that your bike is fixed.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Wonder why they sell it to you in the first place. Before they sell you the bike, it has to go thru the safety check. Well, the good news is that your bike is fixed.
    i rode it around the block before i bought it, that must of been the safety check

  23. #23
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,024
    Quote Originally Posted by willmcd308 View Post
    i was chilling with the guy who fixed my bike i watched him take a new cog off the shelf and put it on the bike lol. the guy said there was no way i was the cause of it, thats why its was free. he thinks it came from haro messed up, either way the shop took care of me the bike is riding great.
    Could have been shifting under pressure which caused that big cog to bend. Is it one of those black "Mega Range" cogs? The shop guy was being nice either way and took care of you, which is what matters.

    Work on your shifting technique and go have fun.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Similar Threads

  1. whats wrong with my front end?
    By flagrider3 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2013, 04:38 PM
  2. Whats wrong with my bike?
    By SDKmann in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM
  3. a whats wrong with my bike thread
    By nailtrail in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 07:54 PM
  4. whats wrong with my bike thread.
    By nailtrail in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 10:29 AM
  5. Whats wrong with my brakes
    By blakeyon2asd in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 09:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •