look 986
    Dec 2009

whats the score with a HOPE HEAD DOCTOR

Are they any good, can you use them in place of your star nut with out any thing else? will i be able to use my top cap?
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    All hope stuff is pretty good quality kit. It will replace the SFN but from memory you can't use your own top cap you have to use the Hope top cap. This is from memory so may be wrong on the top cap element

meow meow
    not really sure what advantage it provides. i think if you really wanna ditch the star nut the best upgrade is something like the azonic head lock.

look 986
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    not really sure what advantage it provides. i think if you really wanna ditch the star nut the best upgrade is something like the azonic head lock.
    thanx for this, i had never even heard of these! just read revies and every one sings their praises! will order one asap
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

mtbr member
    not really sure what advantage it provides.
    Well some people who want to build a bike might not want to be troubled with setting a star nut or having a LBS do it, so something like the Head Doctor works well. The headlock will do the same thing, but is a bit more on the heavier side.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Well some people who want to build a bike might not want to be troubled with setting a star nut or having a LBS do it, so something like the Head Doctor works well. The headlock will do the same thing, but is a bit more on the heavier side.
    but way stiffer for more precise handling.

mtbr member
    but way stiffer for more precise handling.
    How do you figure? The headset can only get so tight, and is held in place by the stem. So why would having a headlock give stiffer more precise handling?

This is a actual question, I actually want to know.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    How do you figure? The headset can only get so tight, and is held in place by the stem. So why would having a headlock give stiffer more precise handling?

This is a actual question, I actually want to know.

the headlock does nothing at all to change handling.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    its more for convenience if you are swapping forks over and don't want to install two SFN on your pair of forks.

AZ
    banned
    It can be used when you dont want damage from a star nut , such as a carbon fiber steerer .

meow meow
    in alot of reveiws of the headlock it says it makes the front end feel alot more solid. it seems to me you can crank that system down alot more than a traditional setup. btw dremer, the stem really has nothing to do with it, its more about the topcap ans sfn.

Picture Unrelated
    in alot of reveiws of the headlock it says it makes the front end feel alot more solid. it seems to me you can crank that system down alot more than a traditional setup. btw dremer, the stem really has nothing to do with it, its more about the topcap ans sfn.
    That's insane and goes against the basic operation of a headset. You only "crank" it down so far as to get rid of play in the bearings. Any more than that and you stiffen or seize the steering and can damage the bearings.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    everything you said is wrong, and I wasn't the to first to point it out. The bearings only get so much tension. You crank it down and they dont work, and you do damage. The stem holds it at that tension. You can remove the top cap and run it without it if you choose.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Eff U Gee Em
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by demc1982
    Are they any good, can you use them in place of your star nut with out any thing else? will i be able to use my top cap?
    I bought one of these last year; I did so because it can be removed without any damage to the inside of the steerer tube. My reasoning was, if I decided I wanted to try a different fork, it would be easier to sell my current one if it wasn't all mangled up (I also left my steerer tube full-length), and I wouldn't have to buy another star nut for a new fork.

Without disassembling mine, I am pretty sure you can run any top cap you want to.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    That's insane and goes against the basic operation of a headset. You only "crank" it down so far as to get rid of play in the bearings. Any more than that and you stiffen or seize the steering and can damage the bearings.

i worded that wrong, i meant that with a head lock you get pressure from two directions (top and bottom) where as with a traditional approach you just get a force from the top. just being an armchair engineer here but wouldnt two even forces be preferable?

May 2009
    i worded that wrong, i meant that with a head lock you get pressure from two directions (top and bottom) where as with a traditional approach you just get a force from the top. just being an armchair engineer here but wouldnt two even forces be preferable?

Yah, but it doesn't work that way. You can still only get it so tight without f'in up the headset. Like said before. You set it right and the stem holds it there. Done.

The headlock is basically a star nut placed under the crown with a longer bolt. Well, kind of.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

Members who have read this thread: 1