1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Whats the right move? to buy ??

I ride to work a few days a week and trails on the weekends. Interested in getting into more local single track riding. There are maybe limited ST trails that would require a FS bike.

At this point I am in the air. I am looking for something I will be happy with, but yet having decent components to upgrade or swap to a new frame.

Right now interested in a Trek 6000 or a Giant XTC2. All of the components work for me with these 2 bikes, both are around $650 and come with Dart3 front shocks and mechanical 6" brakes.

I also have full suspension on my mind as the option to ride more aggressive trails is appealing. I found a Trek Fuel ex5 for $879 at my LBS today, but I am not sure its what I should be looking for in a FS bike.. I know its an entry level FS and I dont want to get stuck.

Front Suspension: RockShox Tora 289 U-Turn
    Rear Shock: RockShox BAR 1.1

Or should I settle on a 6000 or XTC2 with the Rock Shock Dart3 and keep my eyes out for a full suspension frame to swap to later?

Thoughts please.

Cheezy Rider
    The fact that you use the word "settle" when it comes to the hardtails makes me believe that you really want a full susser. That Fuel sounds like a pretty good deal, go for it if you can afford it. I'd check the reviews here first, and the Trek forum, but my impression is it's a decent bike. And the Tora is a step up from the Dart, if that helps justify the extra $.

I personally went from FS to Hardtail and am in no hurry to switch back, but everybody's different. It sucks to spend 600 bucks and to feel dissatisfied with what you got.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    A rockhopper with disc brakes might be a good option two I think they are under 700$

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    a fisher pirranna or tassajara is a good one the tassajara is a little more than i think you want to spend though
    Keep on Ridin

local trails rider
    Have you been able to ride any of the bikes you are looking at?

Getting a real trail ride on each would be great but even a spin in the parking lot and going down a couple of curbs should give you some idea about how those bikes fit and behave.