1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2012

What's one season in miles?

Many times that I ask to buy a part, the seller tells me that they used it for a season.

How many miles is a season? I just want to have an idea of how used is a part that's been used for "only one season". In this case it's a fork that's been used for "only one season". How used is it then?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    haha, thats slang for "I used it, it still works, if it breaks the first time you use it, too bad!!!" seriously, it varies for everyone. When someone says season, to me it sounds like they actually race and racers tend to log a ton of miles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yep

Used for a season means used.

Buyer Beware, sold as is, no warranty, no returns, no exchange. Used and AS IS
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

T.W.O.
    All of the above plus.
    1 a season is pretty much what many refer to as 1 year but sounds less.
    2 Using the term season seems to make them feel more "in"

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks again.

How used would a fork be if it's been used "only once for a 500 mile tour on the great divide mountain bike route in Colorado"?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Like new, unless he crashed it head on

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

T.W.O.
    500 mile portion of great divide in Colorado is not a season it's a few days max. The whole underground race is roughly 2500 miles and its like a couple of weeks race. For some forks it's barely broken in. Just be aware of something that's too good to be true.

clown question, bro
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    500 mile portion of great divide in Colorado is not a season it's a few days max. The whole underground race is roughly 2500 miles and its like a couple of weeks race. For some forks it's barely broken in. Just be aware of something that's too good to be true.
    I would agree. For someone to attempt the Tour Divide, I'd picture them as being a bit more hardcore than most. Why would someone put on 500 miles on something and then abruptly sell it if they are that dedicated to cycling?

I suppose there's the possibility that they tried the item and just didn't care for it, but I can't see someone trying the Divide with brand-new equipment they had never used before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If you are looking for number, it's probably between 1,000 and 3,000 miles. Most guys who ride more than that a year will have mutliple bikes they split the time on... now if they are a racer, and it is their race day bike it might be alot less than you might think, if it was their training bike, it's probably not worth it's weight as scrap metal =]

T.W.O.
    What fork is this? Gotta be 100mm travel right?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Exactly my thoughts...what kind of fork is this?

Haha, a season just sounds nicer then saying "I used it for a year". Like others said, it's used, functional, shows signs of normal wear/tear, and is sold as is. This is where pictures really help.