1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

New question here. what's that noise?!

Went riding for the first time in many years on Saturday at the Fells just north of Boston. Had a blast - great weather, good conditions, couldn’t have asked for a better day!

Anyways, coming home from the ride I gave my bike a wash, cleaned and re-lubed the chain and used a small bristle-brush and some cleaner (forget the name of the stuff) to clean the mechanical component. I let it dry and put it away for the night.

The next day a friend and I went for a ride around town - I noticed right off the bat that my bike was making a clicking sound with every revolution of the pedal. Getting off and inspecting, I found that it was originating from the rear wheel, somewhere around the cassette. The clicking happens when coasting and pedaling. If I go faster, the clicking gets faster. I also found that when standing my bike upside down, resting on the handlebars and seat, and I spin the pedals the clicking doesn’t happen.

I don’t think I could have knocked something loose while cleaning it could it? Keep in mind I’m a newbie w/ DIY bike repair. Thanks for the help!

Go Speed Racer
    In general washing your bike is a bad idea. Especially "power washing" with high pressure hose. You end up washing the grease off of bearings, which is bad. I am no expert, but it sound to me like you washed out a good portion of your rear hub grease. Probably need to have the hub taken apart and regreased.

For what it is worth I clean my bike about once a month with baby wipes (works pretty well). If it gets really muddy then yes, I will wash it with a hose (with out any attachments for high pressure), and I avoid the hubs/bottom bracket/headset, then I finish the job with wipes. Works quite well. Also, make sure to bounce the bike to shake out any left over water if you must wash it.

mtbr member
    I doubt just washing the bike would require a breakdown and re-greasing of the rear hub. You say it clicks when right side up but not upside down...have you put it on a stand and tried to see if the clicking occurs with not weight on the bike, right side up? How old is your bike?

mtbr member
    @mtbdennis - I didn't power wash it. I used a hose with a low-pressure attachment (similar to the ones you would use to water flowers). I only washed the frame with cold water and dishsoap (which is gentle, and I heard OK to use for bikes). I did not spray the hubs if I could help it.

@MSU Alum - I'm not exactly sure when it clicks relative to the positioning (up/down) of the pedals. I'll pay attention to that tonight when I check it out again. I don't own a stand but I did have the help of my friend yesterday and we both lifted the entire bike up and spun the pedals - the clicking did occur when we did this.

The bike is fairly new - it's a 2011 Trek 3500. Entry level mtnbk. Mostly town and country riding the last two years. I've only just recently started bringing it on rougher terrain.

Go Speed Racer
    Cool, glad you did not power wash it! Probably best to take it in to your local bike shop (LBS) and have them check it out for you. Congrats on getting that thing on dirt!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    How strange is our luck Bear99, Mine started doing the samething tonight after I changed a tube. It its very weird lol, Clicks when its flat with or without me on it. Upside down nothing, I don't have a stand just a sling hanging from a truss and when I hang the bike by it the thing hangs like pointing down 25-30 degrees and no click. Lean it front up or hold it flat it clicks, One click per revolution. After the 2 year old crashes out gonna go and and look it over better. My first thought was the chain device behind the cassette clicking or something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Check cables sections that extend from the front or rear derailleur as they may have been moved and are contacting spokes.
    what's that noise?!-derailleurfront-cable-medium-.jpg
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy