1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

What's this for on the fork?

On my bike, a Hardrock Disc, and on my wife's Hardrock non-disc, our forks have this odd hole at the top of the arc over the wheel. What's it for? Especially on a non-disc bike, the brakes are in the way.
    For reference:
    My bike

My wife's bike

Thanks!
    -Erik

Dunno, im a Newbie
    Apr 2006
    it is a mount for the ultra-expensive ace of spades playing card holder, for the old click, click, click sound as you go... Sorry could not resist

EDR
    That is the port for adding fluid (fork oil). You should add about 5ml every other ride or so to keep the fork from getting 'soft'.

mtbr member
    yeah, it seriously it.

but really, its a hole in those cheap RST forks for a front reflector.

now, im just wondering why you would have LX brakes on a cheapo RST fork?

EDR
    Sorry, that is untrue and very immature of me...

I have no idea what that is, maybe it's where they hang it from during painting....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ANdRewLIu6294
    yeah, it seriously it.

but really, its a hole in those cheap RST forks for a front reflector.

now, im just wondering why you would have LX brakes on a cheapo RST fork?
    Fair question. We got entry-level bikes to see if we liked biking enough to upgrade in a year or two. Hence the Specialized Hardrocks. I got the LX brakes for the front for something like $8 off eBay, new. I wanted my wife to have a good set of brakes in front for safety's sake.

And so far, we're enjoying biking. I've put 172 miles on my bike in 3 weeks.

mtbr member
    Almost looks like a bolt hole for those older side pull caliper brakes, the kind they still use on road bikes.

Freshly Fujified

reflector mount

I'm with Andrew-it's a reflector mount.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Yep, reflector mount.

Who cares about the brand of suspension fork - just get out and ride!
    Check out Crankarm; a mountain biking journal from two brothers in Ontario, with trail reviews, equipment reviews, and photos.

swoosh!
    Mar 2006
    Reflector mount... yep.
    Crawling uphill is a skill!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecox
    Fair question. We got entry-level bikes to see if we liked biking enough to upgrade in a year or two. Hence the Specialized Hardrocks. I got the LX brakes for the front for something like $8 off eBay, new. I wanted my wife to have a good set of brakes in front for safety's sake.

And so far, we're enjoying biking. I've put 172 miles on my bike in 3 weeks.
    oh ok, i can understand that.

that fork will work for you, as long as you dont jump it or anything. but its stiff, and has no damping, so once you progress you'll find that it rides pretty harshly, and want something more.

i can understand good brakes too, i had horrible brakes until i got discs. everything was sketchy to stop on with the tektro V's. no modulation, a bit too much power on the front, too easy to flip, BUT also too little power in the rear. this might sound like a tuning problem to some of you, but i've tried many times to readjust them, it didnt work.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecox
    On my bike, a Hardrock Disc, and on my wife's Hardrock non-disc, our forks have this odd hole at the top of the arc over the wheel. What's it for? Especially on a non-disc bike, the brakes are in the way.
    For reference:
    My bike

My wife's bike

Thanks!
    -Erik
    It's for a reflector.

dirty trail dog
    You can also use that hole to run a zip-tie through to hold your brake cable (for disc brakes) and/or computer wire.
    yep...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Its for a reflector OR there were canties that needed a cable stop above the brakes and that is where you would put it, very old school. Now they are just there for reflectors though.

KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

mtbr member

mount

I'm going to step out on a limb and say it is for fender mounting. Specialized mounts their reflectors on the bars and there is no way you are going to use cantilever brakes on that fork. That leaves you with fenders.
    --Never Look a Trojan in the Gift Horse -

Dabney Coleman
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Xactoman
    I'm going to step out on a limb and say it is for fender mounting. Specialized mounts their reflectors on the bars and there is no way you are going to use cantilever brakes on that fork. That leaves you with fenders.
    Why is there no way you'll use cantilevers on this fork?
    It's a reflector mounting hole.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I'm gonna have to say fender or brake mount, I've never seen a reflector mounted there

mtbr member
    o5's have them mounted there on the hardrocks, o6 is on the handlebar

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    It is meant for canti's that need a brake hanger for the cable housing. Reflectors are usually mounted on the frame itself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Avid
    It is meant for canti's that need a brake hanger for the cable housing. Reflectors are usually mounted on the frame itself.
    this was a very old thread....

...anyway, i have NEVER seen a front reflector mounted on the frame itself.

also, another suggestion to the guy with the hardrock and LX brakes:

the cable thats on the left leg, routing behind the brake arm, you might want to ziptie that to the fork arch. you dont want that cable getting snagged or going into the wheel, whcih is very potentially dangerous.

mtbr member
    reflector mount. my sister's bike has a reflector mounted at that exact spot.