Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Whats with the attitude riding bicycles?

Something I've noticed while riding both on street and dirt is that the riders are not very friendly. Maybe its just a thing here in Southern California with MTBing but it also tranfers to riding streets cause my cousin only rides street and he said its the same thing. Is it an attitude that I have a better bike than you so there for Im better than you?? I ride motorcycles and we always, always aknowledge other riders. Im still the type of individual that will greet others but arent we out there to have fun in the first place?

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    I find the opposite here on the east coast... I encounter other riders mostly on the road, but even the Colnago riders around here will throw a wave to me and my Windsor.

Keep doing what you do... if other riders want to be snobs, maybe one day you'll pass them on a trail with a flat and have just the tool they need.

Blue Pig
    Us Eastern riders are friendly.

If I rode a sturdy turdy I am sure I would still get some waves and greetings.
    Ragley Blue Pig

d00bie
    For the short amount of time ive been riding, here in NC...around the Asheville/ Hendo area, all the riders here are very nice. Its kinda like, Hey you got a bike, ive got a bike, so were brothers or friends ya know!?!? Ive even said hi to someone on the trail and had a conversation start from there, everyone is super cool here and super nice. There are always going to be cacks out there that dont give a care unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl_91762
    Something I've noticed while riding both on street and dirt is that the riders are not very friendly. Maybe its just a thing here in Southern California with MTBing but it also tranfers to riding streets cause my cousin only rides street and he said its the same thing. Is it an attitude that I have a better bike than you so there for Im better than you?? I ride motorcycles and we always, always aknowledge other riders. Im still the type of individual that will greet others but arent we out there to have fun in the first place?

That's Southern California for you! I recommend moving to New England... it's much friendlier, and people are very welcoming!

mtbr member
    In central CT, I find most MTBers to be friendly.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    While I am still new to this myself... I say hi to everyone (if my lungs allow me) bikers, hikers, anyone that's out where I am out.

If people don't respond back, no sweat, I just keep on with my smile and enjoy the rest of my ride!

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    Everybody I meet on the trail seems to be very friendly other than those who ride walmart bikes. Everybody always says hello and if I am ever stopped for a reason, everybody always stops and asks if Im ok. In in NY

mtbr member
    Just about every single person I've met has been nice, said hi, asked if I need help if I'm stopped, offered to let me tag along to learn new trails, etc. Louisville, KY.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    in WA everyone is too nice. Everybody stops on the trail to let you by so nobody ever moves. Then to pass the time they ask how your day is going and if you need a clif bar or sip of espresso from their heated camelbak

G.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    People I have encountered in New England have all been very nice.

T.W.O.

Smile Hey Jbl

I'm in Socal as well. Welcome to the community. There are a lot of nice rider and some stuffed up ones as well , Regardless, I say hi or acknowledge them all. Most rodies and mtb are friendly some street riders like singlespeed and fixies are most of the time to cool to say hi.

Don't let that discourage you though, keep doing what you do when you stop you'll become one of them a$$ sending out negative vibe to the sports.

mtbr member
    WV is a friendly mountain biking state in my experience so far. My area there are not many roadies but the group I ride with from MD is very nice. Even though they mostly have $2000+ bikes with doubles and compacts I was always treated as an equal and a friend. I was only berated once for having an $800 road bike with a triple and it was this short balding fat guy that nobody in the club likes that has to be a douche to make himself feel better about being such a looser. Pricks are everywhere. You can have 100 people around you and 99 of them will be as nice as could be but there is always that one.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    Pricks are everywhere.
    QFT.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    not here in AZ. all bikers who passes me always says hi or hello and even hikers too. it might be just in cali.
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

ride the moment
    Cycling, both dirt and road, is far too popular for "riders" as a group to be stereotyped. The attitudes of riders simply reflect the attitude of the population. Every time this discussion (or similar) comes up I think of Idiocracy. "Dude... you like money AND chicks? We should totally hang out!"
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't ride to socialize. I will never understand why anyone would care if I say hi, wave or anything, The only thing that matters to me when I encounter another rider is that the proper yielding takes place.

mtbr member
    When I am on the trail, if I see someone, they are usually nice. You have the random 5'5'' guy with a $4000.00 bike and a belt muffin who thinks he is better then you you because he has a expensive bike that he doesn't know how to ride. Then again, its hard to ride when you gut hits the handle bars. Anyway, most the people in Ohio are nice on the trail. But i have noticed that on the street (and pretty much just in general), the people in Ohio are rude. You say hi and they just ignore you or role their eyes at you. Its pretty frustrating sometimes.

Old man on a bike
    I always heard the harley guys in leather started that acknowldgement wave, sort of an underground sign saying "I'm gay, too".

Seriously, when you drive a car do you wave at each other? When you're walking along a street you wave and say hi to everyone? When you go into a restaurant do you expect everyone to greet you? Maybe I'm more of a city person, but that's expecting a lot....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

pants on head retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cool
    I don't ride to socialize. I will never understand why anyone would care if I say hi, wave or anything, The only thing that matters to me when I encounter another rider is that the proper yielding takes place.
    You must be one of those southern california riders he's talking about

I keed, I keed - but most other comments here are pretty accurate - the reactions you get on the trail are going to be representative of the population. Folks here (Reno) generally wave and say hi when you ride by. Most people don't care what you ride, just *that* you ride.

Don't let it get you down and keep being friendly, maybe you can change the trend

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    I always heard the harley guys in leather started that acknowldgement wave, sort of an underground sign saying "I'm gay, too".

Seriously, when you drive a car do you wave at each other? When you're walking along a street you wave and say hi to everyone? When you go into a restaurant do you expect everyone to greet you? Maybe I'm more of a city person, but that's expecting a lot....
    I don't know about you but I don't pass hundreds of other bikers on the trail either like I do other cars on the road when driving my car to school/work. When I am on the trail I am lucky to see one or two other people so it isn't out of line to expect a little courtesy. Just a two finger (not a one finger salute) acknowledgment or a nod of the head is even fine but no reason to be stuck up.

It's funny though that you bring up the car thing because about 10 years ago I bought a Jeep Wrangler and until that point I never had people wave at me on the road but as soon as I started driving that Jeep I got waved at by more people (all driving Jeeps) that I ever had my entire life. I found the same to be true when I bought my first VW GTi too. A lot of other vdub drivers waved at me. I always thought it was kinda cool. My g/f would ask who was that and I would say I had no idea, it was just a Jeep/VW thing.

mtbr member
    It's your right to be stuck up but I don't see the point of being anti-social. I mean if it were a really busy trail and you passed a lot of other bikers then yeah, I might not go out of my way to say hi in passing either verbally or with a gesture but to show a little niceties while out on the trail won't kill you.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Pardon me...

Do you have any Grey Poupon?

mtbr member
    It's your right to be stuck up but I don't see the point of being anti-social. I mean if it were a really busy trail and you passed a lot of other bikers then yeah, I might not go out of my way to say hi in passing either verbally or with a gesture but to show a little niceties while out on the trail won't kill you.

I agree, I dont expect to have a 5 minute conversation with everyone I see,( maybe one or two people each ride.) I dont think its to much to ask that if I say hi to some one or if i give a nod or whatever, to get some sort of respose other then a dirty look or a roll of the eyes.

~Disc~Golf~
    What is up with these uppity fuks on their POS $500 bikes always wavin and sayin 'Hi' to me. They act like they're 9-year-old schoolgirls at a slumber party or something. The more they wave and get up in my face, the more I have to scowl - can't those fags get the hint??
    Honestly... ahh I give up

pants on head retarded
    Highdell is my hero!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    What is up with these uppity fuks on their POS $500 bikes always wavin and sayin 'Hi' to me. They act like they're 9-year-old schoolgirls at a slumber party or something. The more they wave and get up in my face, the more I have to scowl - can't those fags get the hint??
    I ride $5000 bikes and I always say hi to other riders and most hikers too, whether I am on the road or the dirt.

One thing though, if you don't say hi back, I usually say something about how unfriendly you are, with a variation in my language depending on how douchey you were...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro
    I ride $5000 bikes and I always say hi to other riders and most hikers too, whether I am on the road or the dirt.

One thing though, if you don't say hi back, I usually say something about how unfriendly you are, with a variation in my language depending on how douchey you were...

LMAO, same here .."Hows it goin.." 2 seconds later with no response..."What a f'ing douchebag" then on to the next douche..

mtbr member
    I try to be as friendly as possible (if somebody's stopped I check to make sure they're alright). I'm from CT, and pretty much every rider that passes me on the trail will give a quick 'Hello' or a wave.
    Build.
    Ride.
    Repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill79
    LMAO, same here .."Hows it goin.." 2 seconds later with no response..."What a f'ing douchebag" then on to the next douche..

I do the same thing, except I say " well "&%! you then" lol

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need a good tickling or pillow fight to cheer you up.

mtbr member
    Everyone I have met have been nice except for ROADIES !!!!!
    1.. 2.. 3... 4...........FIFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!

T.W.O.
    Some roadies I came across were really nice people, unless it was up in the steep section they all say hi or wave.

What I can't stand is the group people who ride on the street some time several hundred and holding traffic like they don't care and no one can stop them. It just make you want to chuck some thing at them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Some roadies I came across were really nice people, unless it was up in the steep section they all say hi or wave.

What I can't stand is the group people who ride on the street some time several hundred and holding traffic like they don't care and no one can stop them. It just make you want to chuck some thing at them.

I don't mind if a roadie is on the side of the road near the line and i have to wait to get around them, I just hate when they are in the middle of the road and give you a dirty look for going around them.

I Have Cookies
    I dont know about you guys but I know Im on a way better bike than you and I can out ride most people too on or off the street..........I still wave at a fellow biker no matter what your rolling (or pushing for that matter)
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Don't sweat it dude, I ride motorcycles too and find friendly and not so friendly riders. I keep a smile and let it be...Life is too short to worry..

dwt
    mtbr member
    Maybe its just a thing here in Southern California
    Attitude and image self-consciousness in tinsel town? Go figure.

It really depends on where you are and who the rider is. In my experience, attitude is all about status self doubt.

Your noob has no status, but knows they have no status, so they are always friendly in an embarrassed sort of way.

Your intermediate has more status than a noob, but not as much as status as they wish they had, and often their self images are inflated, so they can be dicks.

Your experts have status and know they do, but since they let their legs and skills do the talking, they don't have to be dicks and are friendly in a helpful way.

Me, I somewhere in the middle, but I don't like dicks, so this is what my road bike looks like:

" width="549">

Call it reverse bike snobbery.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    I dont know about you guys but I know Im on a way better bike than you and I can out ride most people too on or off the street..........I still wave at a fellow biker no matter what your rolling (or pushing for that matter)
    I Like to interact with all the riders I pass, I run into their rear tires and yell " get the hell out of my way! The trail for people on walgoose bikes is the paved path at the metro parks!"

Followed by "loser"

Wait, thats what they say to me.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I live in Missouri and the mtbr's here are very friendly - in fact, I was riding today and came across another rider who I never met in my life and we had a 20 min conversation. Just depends on where you are from I guess. Some places have friendly folks and others just seem not to.

I don't think it really is a reflection on riders per say than it is on the region.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Everyone here in the great state of "TEXAS" is super friendly we all wave or greet in some way if somebody is stopped we always ask if they need help. "even the ones on wall-mart bikes at least they are off the couch and riding and promoting the sport". If you snob somebody you need to adjust your attitude nobody was born the best on the trail with the baddest bike off the rack.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSSMAN
    ...nobody was born the best on the trail with the baddest bike off the rack.
    uh-huh!!

mtbr member
    I dunno, I've waved at every roadie I've come across on my hybrid or mtb they kinda ignore me maybe they just hate straight bars.
    '10 Rockhopper SL Comp 29er

mtbr member
    May 2009
    We're pretty damn nice up here in SW Utah.. hell we put up with you So Cal folks coming up here...

Seriously, I have found 95%+ of the folks I meet on the trails to be very nice. We get riders from all over and all seem to be pretty cool. FWIW, i have never been looked up at or down on for the bike I am riding...

BTW.. You ride a Jap bike? I ride Ducati's and Aprilia's and we don't waive at jap bikes.

I kid.... I kid!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Can't really speak to the issue, but the guys on socaltrailriders.org seem cool as fck.

Fat-tired Roadie
    dwt hit it on the head, I think.

Also, where I am, in Seattle, I think you need to look like the same kind of rider as the other person. If I'm on my road bike, in full spandex, I tend to get acknowledgement from the roadies, but if I'm on my commuter in a pair of jeans, I may as well not exist. While it lasted, when I was on my 70's 10-speed converted with disc fork, hipsters liked me, and now I'm back to not existing in their world.

Out on the trail, I think that a "hello" is more typical, whether I'm dressed up as a racer or wearing my baggies.

When I first started racing, I expected people to be kind of douchey. But my experience is that racers are happy to have anyone come and race who shows up with a bike of some description and their game face. I think that the cycling community that has been most welcoming to me so far has been the one whose members want to beat the tar out of me on the trail.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You have to wear the right bike costume to get a wave.I always wear things so people think I'm safe to wave to.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Well me, I have a MTB that is worth more than my car!! But that is because when I am 3 miles deep in the woods by myself--I Cant call AAA to get me home... PLUS I have had my car for 10 years and it ALWAYS get's me home... BUT most people I see on the trails/street I just give a 'nod' to, since we are both taking chances riding and getting hit/hurt. I rarely even take the time to check out someone's bike.... But on the East Coast most folks are pretty cool---

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellrazor666
    Everyone I have met have been nice except for ROADIES !!!!!

+1 Here in WI the roadies think they own the road. They don't move over or out of your way. I live in the country and there was some tour or something going through. They were 3 wide and blew through all the stop signs liked they own the place.

I say hi to hikers, people walking dogs, other bikers but if it's a "group" of roadies I would rather flip them off (I don't of course) but they do get ignored. Harley riders are the same so in some areas some stereo types are out there.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Folks in CA are pissy because they know they are almost out of water to drink (so now they have to drink recycled toilet water), and soon their state will fall into the ocean....

Move a few states inland, or fully across, we like friendly people here (except in NYC of course)
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wi_bigfoot
    +1 Here in WI the roadies think they own the road. They don't move over or out of your way. I live in the country and there was some tour or something going through. They were 3 wide and blew through all the stop signs liked they own the place.

I say hi to hikers, people walking dogs, other bikers but if it's a "group" of roadies I would rather flip them off (I don't of course) but they do get ignored. Harley riders are the same so in some areas some stereo types are out there.

Move out of your way? Better check up on your state laws and realize that road bike are perfectly legal on the road and deserve to be there just as much as your ignorant ass. Never thought I'd see such attitudes on a biking forum, but then again, this is the noob section.

Did I really read someone say they would THROW SOMETHING at a fellow cyclist???? Are you Fing kidding me??

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Probably a Southern California thing. I lived in CA for a few years, and found that when I got down to the coast, especially in the south, people were less friendly. It was a lot better up around the Reno/Tahoe/Truckee area where I lived, but even there it was not as friendly as many other places I have been. Most people were very nice, just a few douches.

Here in southwestern Virginia it is super friendly. Heck, even the bikers and horse people get along well here. It is one of the things I missed about this place when I was in CA.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mount Dora Cycles
    Move out of your way? Better check up on your state laws and realize that road bike are perfectly legal on the road and deserve to be there just as much as your ignorant ass. :
    And at the point where they have IIRC four or more vehicles stacked up behind them they need to pull over and allow the traffic to pass. I am "nice" to assh#$le roadies up to a point. Courtesy works both way and so does "share the road". Before you jump my shite... I ride two days a week on the road for fitness... the other four or five are mountain biking.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Move a few states inland, or fully across, we like friendly people here (except in NYC of course)
    Total myth. You would be amazed at how friendly the people in NYC actually are. It's this huge City with people of every nationality on the earth speaking hundreds of different languages, who basically have learned to get along in the melting pot.

My wife and I took a long weekend there last fall and brought our road bikes. On the weekends, you can ride all over the city without much hassle from cabs, cars, trucks and busses (different on weekdays, of course). On Sunday afternoon, we started a ride in Central Park, then rode north to the George Washington Bridge, then west over the bridge into NJ, then north again. There are hundreds of cyclists from NYC who do this every weekend. We hooked onto a few pacelines of people who didn't know us from Adam, and they couldn't have been nicer. One group learned from chi chat we were tourists, and took us under their wing and on a gorgeous ride in NJ, then guided us back to the bridge. It was simply an amazing experience.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Move out of your way? Better check up on your state laws and realize that road bike are perfectly legal on the road and deserve to be there just as much as your ignorant ass. Never thought I'd see such attitudes on a biking forum, but then again, this is the noob section.
    There are laws and there is common courtesy. When I am on my road bike, and I know I am holding a car up, I try to accommodate them passing me. It may mean getting single file, or just giving the car behind me a wave when it is clear to pass me (I can tell better than they can). Unfortunately, many roadies (most, actually, especially in groups) don't bother.

I love road riding. I'm not such a big fan of roadie "culture", though.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt
    Total myth. You would be amazed at how friendly the people in NYC actually are. It's this huge City with people of every nationality on the earth speaking hundreds of different languages, who basically have learned to get along in the melting pot.
    Agreed. New Yorkers are very helpful and friendly once you get past the exterior. Just ask anyone on the subway for directions, and there will be three people all trying to help you at the same time.

NYC is an AWESOME place to ride a bike these days, especially on a weekend.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    And at the point where they have IIRC four or more vehicles stacked up behind them they need to pull over and allow the traffic to pass. I am "nice" to assh#$le roadies up to a point. Courtesy works both way and so does "share the road". Before you jump my shite... I ride two days a week on the road for fitness... the other four or five are mountain biking.
    yea, the problem is that many drivers consider being anywhere to the left of the white line (say, in the pretty common occurrence that there's glass or other debris in the shared shoulder..) to be 'taking up their lane'. After being buzzed, yelled at, honked at, stuff thrown at you etc.. that gets a bit old.

Groups have a pretty natural tendency to cause people to behave in ways they never would individually.
    mike

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt
    Total myth. You would be amazed at how friendly the people in NYC actually are. It's this huge City with people of every nationality on the earth speaking hundreds of different languages, who basically have learned to get along in the melting pot. Except when it snows and then they beat each other to steal snow shovels.
    Fixed it for ya....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSSMAN
    nobody was born the best on the trail with the baddest bike off the rack.
    Well except for me

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    that reminds of a dude i saw at work one time. he has a side job and says he works with carpenters. last time i saw his tool belt, every tool looked brand spanking new like it was never used and only for show. yea those are some real nice shiny tools you have there.
    get your tools dirty!

mtbr member

Did I really read someone say they would THROW SOMETHING at a fellow cyclist???? Are you Fing kidding me??
    Yeah they are legal and I understand. I don't understand why they feel the need to ride 3 wide instead of single file. Even thought they know there is mile long line up cars behind them. Then when you honk at them they act all snotty. City streets easy to get around them but around back country roads where it isn't always safe to pass by them. If they could ride with some sense they might not get such a bad rep. Also there is a lot of sarcasm in this in case you didn't know

Old man on a bike
    Speaking of having things thrown at them, some cretin threw a fast food type soda cup full of ice at me from the safety of his truck and nailed me in the arm while I was road biking yesterday (trails too wet to ride right now). I was descending at speed (25-30mph) on Hwy 84 from Skyline going east, about 2/3rds of the way down, for those familiar with the Woodside area, when the bastard nailed me. Chickenshit was going uphill. I was being held up by a soccer mom in her minivan. Fortunately I had a good grip on the bar and only have a red mark to show for it. His aim tells me he's done this before and now that I think about it believe another guy around here (mtbshane?) has mentioned a white truck around here that's been known to harass cyclists. If I find this guy he won't be able to reproduce (or have fun) as his penis will be a decoration on his antenna. Maybe I should have waved at the ********** first.
    suum quique

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    I've had a burger king soda thrown at me on the road...

I just figured the guy was trying to help out with hydration!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Wow you must be a roadie...and I'm ignorant? Hmmmm. Great attitude.

So law states you get to ride 3 wide taking up the entire driving lane? Law states when riding in a group you can blow through stop signs and make the cars wait?

I'd suggest you check the laws since you won't find that. I'd also suggest to check your attitude since nothing really wrong with my post. Funny though how when someone states their displeasure they are an ignorant ass.

~Disc~Golf~
    So law states you get to ride 3 wide taking up the entire driving lane?
    YES - you can absolutely take the lane.

As to stopping @ stop signs; While it may be technically illegal, it is far more practical not to stop. You'd be hard pressed to find even the longest peloton taking more than 30seconds to clear the intersection (faster than most traffic signals). It would take a VERY long time to clear that lane of traffic if EVERYONE stopped properly and then had to get back to speed and regroup - only to possibly come up to another stop sign. Plus, it's dangerous to stop immediately like that while you're in a peloton - guys would be piling up like crazy in the midpack.

So, just wait a bit and either you'll find a section to pass and/or they'll cross your path and be out of your way.

I would also say that the group should single-out and pull to the right periodically and yield if a line of traffic backs up - much like a semi-truck/RV would do on a long uphill.

Should I link G'n'R's "Patience?
    I think we need a little patience.
    Last edited by highdelll; 04-15-2010 at 10:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

So here you go. Here is the WI biking laws.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/...ycle/rules.htm

Notice the obey traffic rules.....again running stop signs is obeying traffic?

No mention on riding single file but again why ride 3 wide and take up a whole lane of traffic on a two lane road. They should be considerate and do single file when cars are around but never do.

Disgruntled Peccary
    YES - you can absolutely take the lane.
    Actually, from what I recall (I grew up in WI), bicyclists may ride two (or more) abreast as long as they're not interfering with traffic and riding in a single lane. Slowing down traffic, IMO, would be considered interfering..
    mike

Fat-tired Roadie
    You actually need to look up the laws specific to your state, and sometimes city. Bicycles can pretty much always take the lane, but they're not necessarily allowed to ride abreast and sometimes they're supposed to stay as far to the right as practicable.

I think that everyone who uses the road should have to spend some wheel time in a car, on a bike, and in a truck. I think a lot of bad habits that people in smaller vehicles sometimes have might be lessened if they knew how much visibility and maneuverability larger vehicles don't have, and what the stopping distances can be like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I ride near Philadelphia and its a very mixed crowd. I've encountered many nice helpful people on the trails and some @$$ holes that scream stupid things as they go by and act like they have the right-of-way no matter what.

Worst was when I was riding with my wife and she can't do many of the hills I have no trouble with, so I'm walking them with her for moral support and some jerk screams "you guys need to learn to ride" If I had a stick it would have been in his spokes.

Now that I ride a low-end rigid MC29er, I especially grin, smile and say hello when I pass someone on their high-end 26FS. If nothing else their mouth is usually wide open.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So here you go. Here is the WI biking laws.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/...ycle/rules.htm

Notice the obey traffic rules.....again running stop signs is obeying traffic?

No mention on riding single file but again why ride 3 wide and take up a whole lane of traffic on a two lane road. They should be considerate and do single file when cars are around but never do.
    Why are you in such a hurry on a back country road? A large group of road bikes are doing 25-30mph and for every rider to stop at every stop sign just isn't practical. Could you imagine how long the line would be if every road bike in a large group were single file? You would never get a chance to pass....UNLESS you just squeezed between them and oncoming traffic, but you wouldn't do that would you? You would ALWAYS obey the law and give a cyclist 3 feet like everyone else right? B.S., you'd just buzz right by them because your time is so damn important you can't wait or be slowed down. The fact is a large group is easier to pass when they are 3-4 wide and it adds to their safety by not letting asses like you buzz them by inches. Pass in the other lane WHEN it is safe to do so.

NOW, on the other hand, an individual or small group SHOULD ride single file and stop at all signs and lights. If they aren't, THEY are the asses that make cyclist look bad.

Class is over.
    Last edited by Mount Dora Cycles; 04-15-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    A large group of road bikes are doing 25-30mph and to stop at every stop sign just isn't practical. .
    Surely, that is a typo, right? Either that or are you simply joking?

Old man on a bike
    Why are you in such a hurry on a back country road? A large group of road bikes are doing 25-30mph and to stop at every stop sign just isn't practical. Could you imagine how long the line would be if every road bike in a large group were single file? You would never get a chance to pass....UNLESS you just squeezed between them and oncoming traffic, but you wouldn't do that would you? You would ALWAYS obey the law and give a cyclist 3 feet like everyone else right? B.S., you'd just buzz right by them because your time is so damn important you can't wait or be slowed down. The fact is a large group is easier to pass when they are 3-4 wide and it adds to their safety by not letting asses like you buzz them by inches. Pass in the other lane WHEN it is safe to do so.

NOW, on the other hand, an individual or small group SHOULD ride single file and stop at all signs and lights. If they aren't, THEY are the asses that make cyclist look bad.

Class is over.

I disagree. Similar to mtb dh racing on public two-way trails, racing in packs by roadies and disregarding traffic laws is ********. There is absolutely no need to ride in packs and run stop signs unless permitted and escorted by police. One reason roadies in my area are disliked by the locals. A reason critical mass creates more enemies than respect.

I have no doubt my little run in with the truck is exacerbated by the tons of roadies who descend on this area (I live here btw) to ride their bikes. They do stupid things like climb Hwy 84 (where I got hit by the soda), ride in packs disregarding traffic and....from what I can tell from comments I've heard and read that really piss off many motorists, run stop signs (even when not in packs).
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Surely, that is a typo, right? Either that or are you simply joking?
    fixed it to reflect what I meant. The lead should stop, but every rider behind should continue with the group as one, through the sign. Every person in the group stopping at the sign, in a group of 50 people or more, is ridiculous. A large pack should travel as a large truck would.

It all comes down to respect. Cars respect riders, riders respect cars. Just because a car is bigger, doesn't give it the right of way conclusively.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't think it's people road racing that are having the unescorted interactions with police - around here, at least, those would be escorted. I think you're seeing big group rides. Especially if they're all going slowly and riding really expensive bikes. Training rides would usually be small groups too, possibly in matching outfits. Around here, the teams sometimes start their training season riding in 2x4 formation on a path that's really not wide enough. Predictably enough, they piss everyone off.

bikinfool, is there a critical mass in your area, or are you thinking about the one in San Francisco?

T.W.O.

That was me! I didn't chuck any thing but I want to.

I don't know if you have the same problem in Florida but here in LA we do. I'm not talking about roadies either as I stated twice on my post that they were friendly group of people. It's the fixies that ride on a busy street in a large group I'm talking 200-300 may be more, they usually pick the busy street for example Sunset Blvd, or Hollywood Blvd. They travel like a train with no regards to the traffic lights or traffic.

I in a patio of the restaurant on a small busy strips. When we hear the commotion as a first few riders started to clear the way laughing, yelling to get attention. Then, the large peloton arrive a few moment later and they don't go fast no more than 15mph taking up the whole lane. My friend and I counted, they held up 6 lights at the intersections and some driver try to get across one one the guy was yelling and screaming at the driver. Total mob mentality. It was a spectacle as the group was going down the street. There are many side street that has much less traffic but they chose not to go there. Some just show off riding with no hand on the bar in the middle of the pack. Very few wore helmet.

As we were looking at the chaos, other people in the restaurant started to come out to see what was going on a lot of comment were made like damn bikers, they have no regards for the law, and they should be banned to be on the street . There I was a mountain biker who volunteer every chance I get to do trails repair, and supports to keep the trails open looking at these bunch of A$$ who's out looking for troubles and smeared bad reputation to other cyclist. Hell yeah I want to chuck something at them. This kind of things used to happen once a year but now it's at least once a year. They could have gone to the larger street in downtown with no traffic or some long 8 lane street we have near by but no busy 1 or 2 lane street is much more fun. It makes roadies look bad and can not help with mountain bikers for sure.

Defend that

mtbr member
    All the riders I've encountered have been friendly, both on road and on the trails. Then again, people up here in Chico tend to be pretty friendly...almost to a fault. On some of these deserted roads and trails some people just seem happy to see another human.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    That was me! I didn't chuck any thing but I want to.

I don't know if you have the same problem in Florida but here in LA we do. I'm not talking about roadies either as I stated twice on my post that they were friendly group of people. It's the fixies that ride on a busy street in a large group I'm talking 200-300 may be more, they usually pick the busy street for example Sunset Blvd, or Hollywood Blvd. They travel like a train with no regards to the traffic lights or traffic.

I in a patio of the restaurant on a small busy strips. When we hear the commotion as a first few riders started to clear the way laughing, yelling to get attention. Then, the large peloton arrive a few moment later and they don't go fast no more than 15mph taking up the whole lane. My friend and I counted, they held up 6 lights at the intersections and some driver try to get across one one the guy was yelling and screaming at the driver. Total mob mentality. It was a spectacle as the group was going down the street. There are many side street that has much less traffic but they chose not to go there. Some just show off riding with no hand on the bar in the middle of the pack. Very few wore helmet.

As we were looking at the chaos, other people in the restaurant started to come out to see what was going on a lot of comment were made like damn bikers, they have no regards for the law, and they should be banned to be on the street . There I was a mountain biker who volunteer every chance I get to do trails repair, and supports to keep the trails open looking at these bunch of A$$ who's out looking for troubles and smeared bad reputation to other cyclist. Hell yeah I want to chuck something at them. This kind of things used to happen once a year but now it's at least once a year. They could have gone to the larger street in downtown with no traffic or some long 8 lane street we have near by but no busy 1 or 2 lane street is much more fun. It makes roadies look bad and can not help with mountain bikers for sure.

Defend that
    Sounds like "Critical Mass".
    mike

mtbr member
    Why are you in such a hurry on a back country road? A large group of road bikes are doing 25-30mph and for every rider to stop at every stop sign just isn't practical. Could you imagine how long the line would be if every road bike in a large group were single file? You would never get a chance to pass....UNLESS you just squeezed between them and oncoming traffic, but you wouldn't do that would you? You would ALWAYS obey the law and give a cyclist 3 feet like everyone else right? B.S., you'd just buzz right by them because your time is so damn important you can't wait or be slowed down. The fact is a large group is easier to pass when they are 3-4 wide and it adds to their safety by not letting asses like you buzz them by inches. Pass in the other lane WHEN it is safe to do so.

Class is over.
    For now on, I am going to ride my bike in the middle of the road, Im going to stand in the middle of every isle at every store. I am going to do anything I can to slow everyone around my down because " Why is everyone in such a hurry?". I am also going to go out of my way to hit a biker who runs a stop sign or traffice light(since they are breaking the law by running it) and I am going to sue the f**ker for any damage to my car since the accident would be the bikers fault for running the stop sign.

Obviously I would never do any of that but its crazy to think the roadies feel its ok to pick the laws they want to obey and which they don't. "the law say's we have a right to the roads too!" well the laws of the roads say you have to stop at stop signs and red lights. " well we run those becuase they slow us down."

I respect the roadies that respect the people in cars and ride close to the shoulder and stop when the laws say to stop. I know its a pain to stop and start a bike. Well its a pain to start and stop my car too and it makes me get worse gas milage, but I still do it.

Class over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't know about you but I don't pass hundreds of other bikers on the trail either like I do other cars on the road when driving my car to school/work. When I am on the trail I am lucky to see one or two other people so it isn't out of line to expect a little courtesy. Just a two finger (not a one finger salute) acknowledgment or a nod of the head is even fine but no reason to be stuck up.

It's funny though that you bring up the car thing because about 10 years ago I bought a Jeep Wrangler and until that point I never had people wave at me on the road but as soon as I started driving that Jeep I got waved at by more people (all driving Jeeps) that I ever had my entire life. I found the same to be true when I bought my first VW GTi too. A lot of other vdub drivers waved at me. I always thought it was kinda cool. My g/f would ask who was that and I would say I had no idea, it was just a Jeep/VW thing.
    So what is the number of people in any given setting that you will refrain from feeling the urge to greet everyone. For example, would you say hi to all five people eating at a Taco Bell? Not everyone eats Taco Bell. And if the urge does hit you in that setting, what is the protocol? Is it a wave, nod, hello, high five, fist bump, or a "what's up my T Bell brotha?"
    Last edited by Guy Cool; 04-16-2010 at 12:47 PM.

pants on head retarded
    Mount Dora got the stopsign thing right - the front riders should stop like any vehicle before the entire pack goes through as one unit. No, not every rider in the pack will need to (or should need to) stop - but if there are stragglers forming a break in the pack they should stop and cross in another pack.

Critical Mass... well that just seems to me like the kid throwing a tantrum in the grocery store to get the candy bar he wants. I *really* want cars and bikes to get along on the road, but deliberately inconveniencing traffic to prove your point is not the right way to go about it. Anything to breed animosity between drivers and riders is extremely counterproductive.

Caveat - I don't road ride, but my commute sees some time on busier downtown roads. Just like in my car, I feel I'm doing the right thing when nobody really takes note that I'm there.

Now... when did we lose track of this conversation? I thought we were talking about trail riding! Say "hi" to your fellow trail users!!

So what is the number of people in any given setting that you will refrain from feeling the urge to greet everyone. For example, would you say hi to all five people eating at a Taco Bell? Not everyone eats Taco Bell.
    Bad analogy. Nobody really *likes* eating at Taco Bell :P Also, nobody is demanding you say hi to folks on the trail. We're just saying that by failing to acknowledge somebody else saying "hi" to you, you are kind of being a pretentious douche.

That's all

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by yurtinus

Now... when did we lose track of this conversation? I thought we were talking about trail riding! Say "hi" to your fellow trail users!!

Bad analogy. Nobody really *likes* eating at Taco Bell :P Also, nobody is demanding you say hi to folks on the trail. We're just saying that by failing to acknowledge somebody else saying "hi" to you, you are kind of being a pretentious douche.

That's all

As for the people saying hi to each other. I ran in to Brian Lopes a few times as he train/ride on the weekdays. I'd see his Lopes 55 van park at the trail head, and sure enough I'd see a bike flying down the trail and as he come near he'd just say hi or nice day. Other pros as well as many who live in Socal when they train they'd wear the team jersey, they are all friendly, it not much to say hi or acknowledge someone on the trail. They are training and focus but it takes only seconds to acknowledge, and it doesn't happen every minute either.

For those who feel that they don't need to say or do anything except enjoying their ride may need to reconsider. It start with fellow rider, then hikers and horse back riders. We are at the bottom of the food chain on the trail. Except for mountain bikers, almost everyone is out to ban us. They have successfully banned bikes in LA city park, some are trails I ride. May be your trails is next. The anti-bike group, they don't care about fact I attended the hearings some of the things that kept repeating is just ridiculous

* "Mountain biking is an extreme sport"
    * "Bicyclists are into speed, thrills, chills, jumps"
    * "Bicyclists threaten native plants and animals"
    * "Bicyclist go off trail and trample"
    * "Bikes are dangerous with horses"
    * "Bikes are dangerous to all other users"
    * There is conflict. They see conflict "all the time"
    * "Bikes go too fast downhill" (horses only go fast uphill)
    * "I'm a bicyclist and a horse rider and when I ride my bike I'm into speed, excitement, thrills and danger"
    * "These are urban parks with lots of different visitors; bikes aren't compatible"
    * "There are children in the parks; bikes present a danger"
    * "Bikes should be restricted to designated areas (and not in city parks)"
    * Hiking and horse riding has decreased considerably and it's because of bicyclists "taking over the trails"
    * "There are 20,000 horses in Los Angeles. Owners pay an annual $14 per horse fee for trail use. Bicyclists won't even pay for a bike license. That's not fair." (Actually, the $14 fee is required by the Dept of Animal Services. The license fee for horses is less than the fee for dogs. Of the claimed 20,000 horses in LA, only 1,500 have paid the fee, so 92.5% are ridden illegally. See this news story for the source of this data.)
    * "There are lots of mountain bike opportunities nearby."
    * "There are lots of road and bike path facilities in LA."

Obviously saying is not a mandatory, but I suggest you find your way to keep the community strong, because we are loosing the battle.

TRANCER
    Everyone Stfu
    Ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119
    I respect the roadies that respect the people in cars and ride close to the shoulder and stop when the laws say to stop. I know its a pain to stop and start a bike. Well its a pain to start and stop my car too and it makes me get worse gas milage, but I still do it.

Class over.
    Question, Professor Mullen?

What happens to your car when it hits a bicycle? Bad dent and scratch? Wash the blood off?

When I'm driving, whether I see a few riders or a pack of 100, I give them wide berth. I can wait a moment or two for them go thru a stop sign.

Because the last question I want to answer is why I hit a cyclist.

May 2009
    I have not read this whole diatribe but this is the kind of crap that makes people hate cyclists. Both mountain bike guys and road guys. The cyclist do this, they do that. Blah.Blah...............

Show some respect, lead by example and quit trying to separate cyclists into two groups. The good and the bad. The dirt and the road. Let me tell you, I ride both. I always will. I have never had anyone ***** at me on the road for something I did but instead for something someone else did in the past. On the other hand. The forest preserve cops dont like the mountain guys for some reason. I dont know why or what happened. What am I doing about it? First of all I am not griping on the internet but getting out and making people aware of cyclists. I talked to the preserve police and the complaint is the cyclists that haul in unnatural media to build out of. I take it out and they dont harass me if I ride back there. Its as simple as that.

My point? Get out and do good instead of griping and whining and things will change. My 2 cents on the subject.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro
    Question, Professor Mullen?

What happens to your car when it hits a bicycle? Bad dent and scratch? Wash the blood off?

When I'm driving, whether I see a few riders or a pack of 100, I give them wide berth. I can wait a moment or two for them go thru a stop sign.

Because the last question I want to answer is why I hit a cyclist.
    Ever get a quote on fixing a scratch or a dent in a car? Its around 1000 dollars for just to fix a small dent. You cant pick and choose what laws you want to follow. Stop at stop signs and red lights. End of story. The only exception to that rule is police, fire and EMT. If I ever do accidentaly hit a roadie that ran a red light, it would be pretty easy to answer the question of why I hit him.

mtbr member
    ICE ICE BABY, SO COLD SO COLD.

- Internet Tough Guy

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Class is over.

Wow another jerk on the board! Funny how you know nothing about me but love to call names. Right back at you.

What you are telling me is the bikes (while cars have to share the road) can do what they want when they are in a pack. Heaven forbid stopping for stop signs. I can assure you if I come across the group they will have my truck in the middle of the group when they don't stop and I do. Either that or the cops will be called.

As far as in a hurry sorry the speed limit is 45 by me. If you want to ride 2-3 wide and block the lane do the speed limit. Oh wait that's right can't pedal that fast......

And giving 3 ft....you bet I do. I ride on the road with my bike. I stay to the far right as possible and I appreciate when people give me space so yes 100% of the time unless the people on the bikes are asses they get the whole lane even if they are on the far right.

My problem with the roadies is the attitudes and trust me it's showing here with your post and others who think they own the road. They don't. They share the road. It's that simple.

I have a feeling though that your post and posts from others like you are the jerks with attitudes that take the entire road and don't move.

How do I know? Look at your reponse and how polite that is. Point made.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    fixed it to reflect what I meant. The lead should stop, but every rider behind should continue with the group as one, through the sign. Every person in the group stopping at the sign, in a group of 50 people or more, is ridiculous. A large pack should travel as a large truck would.

It all comes down to respect. Cars respect riders, riders respect cars. Just because a car is bigger, doesn't give it the right of way conclusively.

Got it. So if my buddies are with me in our cars/trucks and I stop the others don't have to since it would slow all of us down?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119
    For now on, I am going to ride my bike in the middle of the road, Im going to stand in the middle of every isle at every store. I am going to do anything I can to slow everyone around my down because " Why is everyone in such a hurry?". I am also going to go out of my way to hit a biker who runs a stop sign or traffice light(since they are breaking the law by running it) and I am going to sue the f**ker for any damage to my car since the accident would be the bikers fault for running the stop sign.

Obviously I would never do any of that but its crazy to think the roadies feel its ok to pick the laws they want to obey and which they don't. "the law say's we have a right to the roads too!" well the laws of the roads say you have to stop at stop signs and red lights. " well we run those becuase they slow us down."

Class over.

Well said and it all comes down to respect and common sense.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yurtinus
    No but it is on topic of attitudes of other riders which is shown right here in this thread.

mtbr member
    It's funny how drivers are always upset that biker's disobey the laws. All of us are drivers., and all of us break the law (california stops, no signal, running a red, the list goes on and on. It's total black and white thinking and quite lame. We all break the law some of the time, we all obey the law most of the time. For fukk sakes, just be nice out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    I have not read this whole diatribe but this is the kind of crap that makes people hate cyclists. Both mountain bike guys and road guys. The cyclist do this, they do that. Blah.Blah...............

Show some respect, lead by example and quit trying to separate cyclists into two groups. The good and the bad. The dirt and the road. Let me tell you, I ride both. I always will. I have never had anyone ***** at me on the road for something I did but instead for something someone else did in the past. On the other hand. The forest preserve cops dont like the mountain guys for some reason. I dont know why or what happened. What am I doing about it? First of all I am not griping on the internet but getting out and making people aware of cyclists. I talked to the preserve police and the complaint is the cyclists that haul in unnatural media to build out of. I take it out and they dont harass me if I ride back there. Its as simple as that.

My point? Get out and do good instead of griping and whining and things will change. My 2 cents on the subject.

I do lead by example. Ride single file when I'm on the road with my buddies, I stay to the far right that I can (reason is I don't want to get hit) when passing giving plenty of room. If everyone lead by example we wouldn't have the problems outlined.

May 2009
    I do lead by example. Ride single file when I'm on the road with my buddies, I stay to the far right that I can (reason is I don't want to get hit) when passing giving plenty of room. If everyone lead by example we wouldn't have the problems outlined.
    Thanks for being an example. You losers talking about hitting fellow cyclists with your cars are trash. Remember that.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    Everyone Stfu
    bump ! I'm with this guy
    Ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    come to the east coast friend, we all get along here... hahaha

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There we go.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    Thanks for being an example. You losers talking about hitting fellow cyclists with your cars are trash. Remember that.
    like this guy...being a "great example"?

. I can assure you if I come across the group they will have my truck in the middle of the group when they don't stop and I do.
    unbelievable.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just because a car is bigger, doesn't give it the right of way conclusively.

Ever heard the term "Dead Right"?

Just Ride !
    Kansas City area riders on trails are friendly , As for paved riders some are snobs, some are ok like . As for myself if i notice a felow rider i will iether wave or head nod no matter what .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Get the heck out of cali. That state is just a corrupt mess! Most riders here in the midwest are very friendly. I used to ride with a pro bmxer all the time and he was always willing to help and give advice (i was a newbie at the time).

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bRyAZSig228
    not here in AZ. all bikers who passes me always says hi or hello and even hikers too. it might be just in cali.
    It is, most people where I live in NW Arizona are friendly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0