1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

What is your favorite mini pump?

I am looking to purchase a mini pump, for trail emergencies. Is there a mini pump that stands out?

I am not looking to pay over 50$. And the smaller and lighter the better; it at least has to fit in my camelbak.

I am also going to be carrying a spare tire pressure gauge, so I don't need a pump with one.

What's your recommendation for a mini pump.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    got a bontrager mini at my lbs for 32$ attaches to my bike. love it. and it fits in my pack too if I didn't already have it mounted. forget what one it exactly is but if you look it up you'll see it. It's held up well to alot of mud and water too.

mtbr member
    I got a Blackburn Airstik SL. Not mine pictured but here it is.

It will fit inside a very small seat bag. It's about the size of a cigar. It does takes a few minutes to fully air up the tire but that is expected due to the small size. The Bontrager seat bag I have is the smallest one I have ever seen so the pump just barely fits in it. A crank Brothers M-19 multitool, a few tire patches, 2 tire levers and that pump are crammed in it. It will hold a set of keys if you smashed them into it also. It has the attachment for the bike as shown in the picture above but I wasn't using it until I just put it on last night as I wanted more room in the seat bag for the keys and maybe a energy bar. I can't imagine there is one smaller and for $25 from my LBS, I am happy with it.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

Ive got about a dozen of these in various toolboxes and backpacks..
    2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL0 Carbon
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

mtbr member
    I have a small Planet Bike pump and it works alright for me. Fits in my pack as well.
    But like KYjelly, I also have a CO2 unit. I usually carry this with a fresh cartridge in my seatbag and often leave the pump at home if I'm going light on my back.

mtbr member
    I was told that the CO2 is a temporary fix. You are supposed to empty the tire afterwards and refill with air when you get home. Is that true?

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Yup. Co2 will generally leech out the tube, because its molecule is very small compared to the mostly nitrogen air we pump in.
    2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL0 Carbon
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I plan on getting a co2 kit as well. A standard 16g co2 kit, that takes both non-threaded and threaded.

mtbr member
    Lezyne makes nice hand pumps. I like the 6" hose that stores inside the pump but deploys between the pump and valve. It eliminates repeated strain on the valve as you pump, a good thing for tubeless set ups.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Freshly Fujified

Good job! Another vote for Lezyne

Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Lezyne makes nice hand pumps. I like the 6" hose that stores inside the pump but deploys between the pump and valve. It eliminates repeated strain on the valve as you pump, a good thing for tubeless set ups.
    Just bought one, and it fits in my MULE. The fact that it has a hose was a huge plus for me, and I can say that with the first flat I got, that hose proved well worth it. $38.00 @ Treee Fort Bikes. Here's a link:

Accessories at Tree Fort Bikes
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV is the one I am using. I've used a lot of pumps over the years and the only two that I have found to be worth carrying are the Lezyne Floor Drives and the Topeak Mountain Morph. The current tires are such high volume that with the micro pumps you will be sitting there all day trying to pump it up and you'll probably give up before it's at the correct pressure which could very likely lead you to another flat. With the two I've mentioned, you get a little floor pump that fits in your bag and you'll spend way less time fixing flats.

CO2 is fine if you only have one flat or if you want to carry enough canisters for multiple flats, but eventually you'll run out of gas and that might mean you're walking out of the woods. With a hand pump, at least you won't run out of air.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Mountain Man Dan
    Blackburn Mammoth Frame Pump. - nearly the same as the Anyvalve one but with a red anodized handle.

mtbr member
    I'm another happy leyzne user - I've got the Allow Drive High Volume. It works fine on my 2.4" 29er tires. It's just beautifully foolproof. It has a hose, so like Gasp4Air says you're not stressing the valve stem. And the hose has a schrader connection on one end, and a presta on the other so there's no fussing around with the head.
    Last edited by newfangled; 10-03-2011 at 08:20 AM.

T.W.O.
    I agree with Zebrahum.

Topeak road morph, or Lezyne micro floor drive for me. The way I see it if I have to fix a flat trailside I want it done as quick as possible and spend as little energy as possible as well. I used to do it with the compact pump it took very long time to bead the tire not to mention my forearm was already shot and ended up ruining the rest of that ride.

Co2 is very nice but I save that for a real emergency as I have no problem beading my tubeless set up with the road morph. If possible give it a try, borrow your friend's mini pump and try them see how you like/hate it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thank you everyone!

Great suggestions!

I really like the idea of having a hose. It sounds like it would make filling up much less fiddly.

Update - I bought the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV (High Volume) Pump

39.99$ shipped, and will be here in about 2 weeks.
    Last edited by mountaink; 10-03-2011 at 02:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Genuine Innovations makes a great pump called the Mountain Pipe. It's the best of both worlds. It can be used as a mini pump but the handle hides a CO2 cartridge as well. It also hides a patch kit and a Schroeder/Presta valve adapter inside. I think its the most versatile pump out there for long trail rides. But for races, nothing beats the Big Air

*Edit* P.S the mountain pipe is 40 bucks and worth it

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I like the Bontrager Mini Charger. It's a little bigger, but still fits in my camelbak, which has minimal storage outside of the bladder area. I like the foot peg and the hose. I'm not a fan of a pump without a hose, unless it's a CO2 pump.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Lezyne Pressure Drive Hand Pump