1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

What would you pay?

I'm looking at 2 bikes on CriagsList right now and would like some advice. I know this are both just big box store bikes, the RoadMaster more so than the Raleigh. I'm going to be using these to ride the various trails here in Austin, and will be doing some aggresive riding. I grew up riding a bike trail near my house, and am a pretty confident rider. I would really rather get the Raleigh, but I think both of these bikes are over priced. I did some research and determined the Raleigh is a 2001 model. Also, if I'm going to go cheap I want to get a bike without shocks.

Roadmaster Mountain Fury
    Raleigh M20 Mountain Bike
    Last edited by michcoth; 08-19-2013 at 10:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by michcoth View Post
    I'm looking at 2 bikes on CriagsList right now and would like some advice. I know this are both just big box store bikes, the RoadMaster more so than the Raleigh. I'm going to be using these to ride the various trails here in Austin, and will be doing some aggresive riding. I grew up riding a bike trail near my house, and am a pretty confident rider. I would really rather get the Raleigh, but I think both of these bikes are over priced. I did some research and determined the Raleigh is a 2001 model. Also, if I'm going to go cheap I want to get a bike without shocks.

Id pick the first one...

No, the 2nd one...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i see the same bike twice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yup I'm an idiot. I posted the same link twice. I edited it to have the correct links. I think the m20 is the better bike, but I think both are overpriced.

mtbr member
    You would have to give my $50 to take the roadmaster.

The M20 was a ~$200 dollar bike in 1995. Bicycle blue book at ~$50

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks to everyone who replied, even the sarcastic ones. I'm going to over $50 for both, and see what I can get.

Redcoat
    Raleigh is a well known good maker of bikes. That road master is a piece of crap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah I figured that. The guy with the Raleigh just replied and said the price is firm at $100 because the bike is near perfect. My original email to him,

"Is this bike still available? Are you willing to come down on price? This bike at the very least is 12 years old. Don't know if I'm willing to pay $100 on a 12 year old bike that sold for $200 when it came out. How about 50?"

Sounds pretty unreasonable to me. How would you reply?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have a bike 50x nicer I am selling for $150. And another 100x nicer for $250 What area are you in?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Far North Austin, I'm looking for a hard tail. I just want something I can ride hard on the trails without worrying about it too much. I may upgrade later, but I'm poor right now

Redcoat
    Yeah I figured that. The guy with the Raleigh just replied and said the price is firm at $100 because the bike is near perfect. My original email to him,

"Is this bike still available? Are you willing to come down on price? This bike at the very least is 12 years old. Don't know if I'm willing to pay $100 on a 12 year old bike that sold for $200 when it came out. How about 50?"

Sounds pretty unreasonable to me. How would you reply?
    I think 75 is fair if its in that good condition. 12 years old maybe but its still a bike that works and well by the looks of things.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Far North Austin, I'm looking for a hard tail. I just want something I can ride hard on the trails without worrying about it too much. I may upgrade later, but I'm poor right now
    Your poorness could have got you a 2012 Scott Aspect for maybe $150 if you lived closer man. Good like finding something that works for a while for ya.