mtbr member
    Aug 2013

What would you do? Upgrade or new bike?

I currently have a Novara Aspen 24sp w/26" wheels. I bought it used a few years ago to ride around in college and since scored some ebay parts, so it now has shimano hydraulic disk brakes, gel seat, clip in pedals and a newer front wheel since I bent the last one.

I moved to Roswell recently and have started riding some trails in the area. But I am at a point now where the drive-train has some slip in the cassette, the tires are worn, the chain is probably well past worn, and the crank sprockets are looking worn. Also it has a Gila T7 front fork which doesn't seem to be that great.

My question is, if I buy a bike for 500-800 it seems I will be right back where I started, just with newer gear.

But if I put a couple hundred in the drive-train, and a couple hundred in a new fork. I can start getting components that you don't find until the $1,000+ bikes.

So is the Novara 6061 aluminum frame a good point to build, and I should just start upgrading the worn points. Or would I really see much benefit by buying a new bike around $1,000?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I;d say get a new bike. I was in similar place and got an Airborne Goblin XO. However for about $100 what about this: Goblin

Airborne Bicycles. Cross Country 29"

You could also look at bikes at Bikes direct.

In my opinion if you buy "brand name" you pay lots more for the name.

I believe you get better components for the same money if you go off brand.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    I believe you get better components for the same money if you go off brand.
    It has always been like that. Also, for 800-1000 you can get a very decent brand new bike, so I'd probably just buy a new one instead of upgrading. It's up to you, really.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hilljason88 View Post
    ..snip...

So is the Novara 6061 aluminum frame a good point to build, and I should just start upgrading the worn points. Or would I really see much benefit by buying a new bike around $1,000?
    No, No and Yes
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I moved to Roswell recently and have started riding some trails in the area. But I am at a point now where the drive-train has some slip in the cassette, the tires are worn, the chain is probably well past worn, and the crank sprockets are looking worn. Also it has a Gila T7 front fork which doesn't seem to be that great.
    casettte $25 Bicycle Cassettes and Freewheels - Mountain Bike Cassettes - AAWYEAH Bikes and Bicycle Parts
    chain $15 amazon
    tires - depends on what you ride but pretty cheap
    crank with chainrings $37 Shimano Acera FC-M361 Crankset 175mm - AAWYEAH Bikes and Bicycle Parts

good used forks on eby in the $200 range

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: What would you do? Upgrade or new bike?

If I become good enough to assemble and tune my own bike, I'll probably just buy the specific components that I want.

But I would still have to sell the old one as a complete bike. I'm not sure how I would be able to sell old, low-end (and probably worn out) components that nobody else want.

Mean time, it's more practical for me (as a beginner) to just buy a new one whenever the time comes that I need to upgrade.
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You could buy a new one and use the old as a loaner ,learner by that I mean to work on bikes.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    No, No and Yes
    /thread.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?