1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What would a slightly used Trek 6000 be worth?

I know of someone selling their Trek 6000 for $1000 (Canadian). He said it's only 2 weeks old and has been ridden 5 times on light trails.
    I was considering asking $800 for it, but not so sure, so here I am.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    What he is asking sounds a bit high, but not sure how the exchange rate is going to affect the CDN $.. The 2011 disc model lists for USD $989. The year and if it a disc model helps.

http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...6000&Type=bike
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Current exchange is about $.97 CND to the US dollar. That makes it $970 US. MSRP on the 2011 6000 is $1179.99US,, that would be about $1216.50 CND. That's about 15% less than MSRP. The first thing I would do is check a local Trek dealer and see what they are asking for them. If they are asking full MSRP then $1000 for a 2 week old bike is within reason. If not then take what they want retail for the bike, and subtract 15% off that price and make that your maximum price. For your initial offer simply reduce retail by 20% and be willing to haggle a little bit up to your calculated max.

Depending on what the seller originally paid for the bike, he may be right in there with his asking price. Just remember that we are fast approaching the end of the model year. The 11's will be taking a price drop soon as the 12's arrive. So check carefully, it makes no sense to buy a used bike for more than you could get a new one for on close out. Even if you had to pay $100 more, it would be worth it for the life time frame warranty and the LBS support that goes along with the new bike.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"