1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

What wheels fit??

Im looking for some new wheels for my 2004 hardrock. I have a set of bb7's from a friend so im looking for replacement wheels since mine arent disc ready.

Im checking out ebay and am kinda lost with all the different axles sizes ( 9mm, 15mm etc) and offsets. What would i need to look for when ordering a set for my bike? (26in wheels)I dont need something really expensive since the bike isnt worth it. But on the same hand it is my commuter and needs to handle my 240lb weight. Which is part of the reason im looking since i keep breaking spokes.

Thanks for the help guys

mtbr member
    I was kinda looking at these since there are a ton of good reviews on them. Will my 8speed casette fit?

Shimano Deore Disc/Rhyno Lite Wheelset > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you have a quick release (it should ) it's 9mm if you have a thru axle it's either 15(fox) or 2omm(Rock Shox). That's the front wheel ,the back is 135mm. You can find specs for your bike on bikepedia. You could rebuild the wheels you have with heavier gauge spokes. The hub bodies are that same ,the spacing is different between 8 and 9.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Will your frame and fork take disc brakes?

Since the bike is an '04, wheel compatibility is still very easy. You need a 26" front wheel with a 9 mm axle and a 6-bolt disc hub. The frame would take centerlock. I'm assuming your rotors are 6-bolt.

Rear wheel is 135 mm hub with a 10 mm axle. Do 6-bolt for that too. And, it should have a freehub.

You don't necessarily have to do quick releases. I think they're more convenient, though, and that type of axle is more common in the size you need.

Hope there weren't too many asides there.

The wheels in your link are a good idea.

How old are your current wheels? Have you been riding off-road? Well made wheels can last many years, but you're a big guy and hard riding is hard on wheels. So nine years isn't such a bad run. I wouldn't try to rebuild them. Chances are the rim is pretty messed up too. Once you're buying spokes and a rim, they'd better be going on a pretty nice hub. Especially as cheap as those wheels in your link are.

What kind of tire do you like for commuting? IIRC, Rhyno Lites are pretty wide. Not great for a skinny slick, but you'll probably find them an improvement for a 2+ inch tire.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Yup theyll fit disc. Here is my bike and it shows it coming with discs but for some reason mine has V's on it.
    Specialized Bicycle Components

I used to use kenda SB8's then this year i switched to 26x1.5's. After i take my knobbies off for the snow i think im going back to a larger 2.1 - 2.35 tire. I didnt like how the small tire preformed when i had it loaded with groceries.

The wheels are original to the bike and my lbs said I might wanna start looking at a set soon when they fixed my last spoke.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sounds like you've got it all figured out. The new wheels should drop in nicely.

It might be worthwhile to check their spoke tension when you get them. And it doesn't hurt to check trueness after the first hundred miles or so.

'Tis but a scratch
    Those wheels look like they would fit the bill. Since you are open to used brakes, you might be open to used wheels too...$90. They look pretty lightly used.

Sun Rims Rhyno Lite Disc 26" Mountain Bike Wheelset | eBay

Fat-tired Roadie
    Though given how much he'd be spending on new ones... an extra $35 would be worth it to me.

'Tis but a scratch
    ^ I won't debate that. His call. I just happen to stumble across that when I did a Google search on his wheel-set selection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Sounds like you've got it all figured out. The new wheels should drop in nicely.

It might be worthwhile to check their spoke tension when you get them. And it doesn't hurt to check trueness after the first hundred miles or so.
    Good advice... after buying some wheels online if your not capable of tightening em up on your own kick a shop some micro brew or 20 bucks just to have them true and tighten them for you. that will keep the wheels rolling much longer... if you ignore the wheels and dont get them trued up good and tight right away they can get beyond repair in a couple months

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Good advice... after buying some wheels online if your not capable of tightening em up on your own kick a shop some micro brew or 20 bucks just to have them true and tighten them for you. that will keep the wheels rolling much longer... if you ignore the wheels and dont get them trued up good and tight right away they can get beyond repair in a couple months
    This is sound advice. There are some great wheel deals to be had online, but there is a chance that the tension will not be what it should. I have seen this this first hand and had to true some for a friend. The lack of tension was. . . . . shocking, to say the least. Luckily he has a friend that knew what to do ;~) and it still turned out to be an excellent deal. Otherwise, you stand a chance of having to spend money to get them properly tensioned and trued.

Sram 306 Disc/Wtb FX23 Wheelset > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I think I would prefer these over the Rhyno-Lites for what you're doing and they are $25 less. The Rhyno-Lites can be tough to mount tires on (depending on the tire) due to the shallow spoke bed, and personally, I think they are kind of ugly too (truly subjective, and YOMV). Rhyno-Lites are pretty durable although no wheel will survive without being properly built.

mtbr member
    Yup the wheels and everything else will be getting a once over by my mechs at the LBS. This is just the beggining of the makeover since this ive noticed a few parts waring thin. ( shark tooth cassette etc) I know letting this go and buying a new bike is the way to go but i honestly love this damn thing and dont wanna give it up even when i get a new bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm still a little confused, so if I may:
    I have this bike: Specialized Bicycle Components and I bent one of the wheels during a move. So I was going to get a new set. I found a Cobalt 3 wheelset with these specs: 15mm Qr Front & 10mm X 135mm Qr Rear. Will they work properly?

mtbr member
    No. You will need a wheelset with 9mm front axle to fit the dropouts in your fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can buy just one wheel,which one did you bend? If it's not too bad it could be trued.