1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: What to wear?

Bike Ninja
    May 2006

What to wear?

What does everyone hear wear for mtb? I'm a roadie so I've been wearing bike shorts and a wicking tee, but I'd feel more comfortable with a bit more protection in case I fall. I'm not much for shredding skin/flesh. Most of the trails I ride a dirt/loose gravel with corduroy sections, which looks really painful when going 25+ mph downhill.

Slower than you...
    Depends on the terrain, vegetation & ride type. For unfamiliar or particularly unforgiving terrain, I'll don a pair of cheap gym shorts over standard bibs. Ditto for greenbriar. If it's a social/casual ride, I'll usually bow to good taste & cover up then, as well.

Otherwise, my MTB garb only differs from the road garb in the shoes, gloves (full finger unpadded mechanic's gloves) & Camelbak.

local trails rider
    Definitely full finger gloves for me.

Every time I ride in shorts and short sleeves, I get scratched by the vegetation... I need to find a way to cover myself without keeping all the heat inside.

Custom User Title
    Team MOJO Wheels.

pronounced may-duh
    For me it's about being comfortable. I wear a helmet with a sun visor, lycra bike shorts with chamois (I like PI unltrasensors), a short sleeve bike jersey(any quality brand), full finger bike gloves(mine are fox), bike socks (I like defeat) and mtb bike shoes(mine are sidi rampas). I ride fairly carefully so I don't crash alot. Some claim that baggie shorts provide more protection from crashes. Others wear pads and armor. I'm more worried about broken bones and dislocations than scrapes and brusies.

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    Bike liners (Revi's), some cargo-type shorts, Under Armor or bike jersey, half-finger gloves (I like the extra feel they give me), a pair of pearl socks, and GLASSES. The most important thing would definitely be the glasses. Beyond that, cuts and scrapes are part of the sport and chicks dig scars.

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

Bike Ninja
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU_Grad_121
    Beyond that, cuts and scrapes are part of the sport and chicks dig scars.
    Yes, but I don't dig scars on myself (I am a chick)

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    Oh goody! I get to quote my favorite movie of all time: Fight Club.

"You wanna die without any scars?"

Yeah, doesn't help much for you, I understand. If you're not down with leaving a little something of yourself on the trail (like DNA), definitely cover up everything you're comfortable with. Be careful and don't get too aggressive and you shouldn't have a problem breaking bones or anything. But either way, have fun!

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja jessi
    Yes, but I don't dig scars on myself (I am a chick)
    In which case you should probably wear as little as possible!

pronounced may-duh
    Do you have any pics? Your a chick and you ride a 20" frame? How tall are you? Are you a model? To avoid scrapes and bruises you probably need armor. Personally, I think armor would be too uncomfortable climbing and riding in the heat of summer. I suggest you post a question about armor in the Women's Lounge. Or maybe one of your riding buddies can lend you some so you can see how it is.

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    As I understand it, armor is basically meant for downhill riders, so you don't seriously cut and bash yourself up on the rocks, etc. you encounter on some of these hills. I would really doubt armor would be comfortable enough to ride a long day of single track in. Climbing in that stuff has got to be a pain in the neck!

That's just my opinion, tho. Check it out for yourself.

Ross

Going for a ride......
    (another femme here) Isn't it funny how most people assume you're a guy, mind you it can be pretty hard to tell from the nicknames!

I normally wear a helmet with visor, mtb shoes, full finger gloves (troy lee designs xc) and just normal clothing. I've recently got a riding jersey - the back pockets definitely come in handy. Oh yeah I always take the camelbak - don't use water bottles at all.

After my latest decent fall and pretty bad gravel rashed knee I will be buying some knee pads - something like the 661 Veggie Knee Guards, it's not so much the scars that worry me it's just so damn painful! It's probably my 2nd major sort of fall & both times a knee has got a decent whack.

So even if you're a careful sort of rider (my latest crash happened on the footpath ha ha - a mossy corner) I would suggest at least mtb gloves. Mtb clothing is purely a preference and comfort thing - you can use your roadie gear and you may want to consider elbow & knee guards. Depending on your style of riding you could go for shin guards as well, but unless you're doing dh body armour probably is a bit much.
    energetix

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    Wait a second! Women can mountain bike?! Why wasn't I notified about this?!

Yeah, I guess the natural assumption is that most people who are riding the trails are male, but I stick by my earlier comment: Chicks dig scars!

Ross

Going for a ride......
    Not so much that, it's more that females aren't that prevalent on the trail - although from what I understand that may be slowly changing?
    So I imagine the presence on forums such as this is a minority as well (I could get flamed down right here and proven wrong though!) and that's why I would say it's natural to assume that most people you are posting to are male, unless it's pretty obvious by their nickname / username. Just like if I go into the female forum section here I'm more likely to assume that posters there are female, but I know that guys post there as well so just have to pay attention to detail.
    In the end it doesn't matter that much - unless you're after specific info or something - everyone is just a fellow (oops is that the wrong word?) mtb rider!
    energetix

Don't worry, be happy!
    another gal here.
    I wear lycra or baggies w/lycra underneath, just depending on my mood and what's clean. Any sort of wicking top, full finger gloves, bike shoes, bike sox, helmet, glasses. I do have arm and leg armor, but I only wear it sessioning on technical stuff, or if I'm doing faux downhill on my xc bike.

Was it this thread that someone said eye protection is most important?

If you are really afraid of scrapes... arm and leg pads are it. They can add some confidence if you are a beginner: you won't be taking the skin off your knee every time you go down. I'd like to gently suggest that to truly enjoy mountain biking, you need to let go of worry about bumps, scrapes, little scars, bruises. They WILL happen, and hopefully you'll love every minute of it, or a have a good story to tell.

I was trying on bike shoes today, post ride in my bike shorts. LBS guy asked about my knee surgery. Huh? Oh, that scar. Got that one climbing over a big tree that was over the trail. You know, a tree that's so big you have to hand the bike up to the guy standing on it, hoist yourself up and over. Dang, that was a fun ride!

Formica

Bike Ninja
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    I'd like to gently suggest that to truly enjoy mountain biking, you need to let go of worry about bumps, scrapes, little scars, bruises. They WILL happen, and hopefully you'll love every minute of it, or a have a good story to tell.
    Stories are fun

I do understand that. The small stuff doesn't worry me, it's the big gashes that bleed everywhere that do - I am mortal. I've gotten some pretty big cuts and bruises from road riding, and I'm anticipating a downhill fall to be much worse when it happens. But I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

local trails rider
    Scratches.... actually, I got loads of respect wearing shorts at work, for weeks, after I bloodied my shins in a spill in a park.

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    Thinking back, I got my worst injuries riding the road rather than on the trail (except for that one time where I face-planted a pine tree). At least in my opinion, it's cuz you can ride a lot faster on the road, and aren't thinking about crashing (at least, I wasn't). I got a lot more bruises and whatnot on the trail, but as for serious gashes, only had one.

I'd imagine a "bike ninja" would have less trouble out there than a bull in the china shop like me.

Just joshin ya.

Ross

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've been just wearing normal "work-out" clothes like running shorts, t-shirts, etc.. plus gloves, helmet and glasses. However, I'm added knee/shin pads to my "outfit" for two reasons: 1. I ride platforms and I like my blood on this inside. 2. My last ride almost broke my leg after I went over the bars and put my shin right into a rock at full speed. Two weeks later, it's still swollen and bruised. I'm not so much worried about scars as I am about getting hurt enough that I can't ride.