mtbr member

What tube to use?

This may be a dumb question but im going to be upgrading to either a nevegal 2.1 or maxxis ardent 2.25 rear tire and am a little confused about tube sizing and whether or not its one size fits all or I need a specific size for the width of the tire.

Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You'll need a tube that fits the tire size and it's marked on the box. Also make sure you get the correct valve stem for your rim and it you have presta's on a deep rim that you get the right length too. Of course if your new tire is the same size as the old you can just use the old tubes if they're not full of patches.

mtbr member
    I believe I am running a wtb 26x46/50 so I believe its a 2 inch tire, just under maybe.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    2015 Intense Carbine 29
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ok, it's a 26 inch wheel, what is the 46/50? Mountain bike tires are sized in decimal, like 1.95, 2.1, 2.2, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The 46/50 are millimeters, the 1.96, 2.0, 2.1 are inches. MTB sizes are usually in inches, road sizes in mm, but you can convert between the two easily enough. The conversions are usually rounded quite roughly, so e.g. a 50mm tyre is called 2.0 (inches) and the 2.1 and 2.25 you mentioned are (usually) 54mm and 57mm.

I think the reason those WTBs have two measurements is that they tried using a more precise way of reporting sizes, where the smaller size (46mm) is the width of the casing and the larger (50mm) that of the tread. I would guess that it translates to something around 2.0 or smaller.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I understand converting the units but who makes a tire that has a mm sizing stamped on it? I've never seen one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    (Personally I would guess that your old tubes will fit the new tires just fine but if they are several years old, you might want to replace them anyhow.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    I understand converting the units but who makes a tire that has a mm sizing stamped on it? I've never seen one.
    Most road tires have mm sizing only, most MTB tires inches only, but some have both (e.g. from Schwalbe), especially in 29er size.

Schwalbe's inner tubes also have sizes in both units written on the box.

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    You should match up sizes thats not to say a 26 x 1.5-1.9 tube won't work in a 29r 2.25 wide.

It will work.