1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

what are these egg beater things?

ok i trolled you in, lol but SERIOUSLY im a new rider toying with the clipless idea.

now i think im going to give it a little while, but will i see a big difference? is it worth all the fuss? im going to have like 100$ in a pair of shoes, probably 70-90 in a pedal (looking at the candy3's) plus cleats.

but is it worth it, also i would only be able to ride with the one pair of shoes (not that big of a deal)

or would anyone recomend another clipless pedal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J2tha311 View Post
    now i think im going to give it a little while, but will i see a big difference? is it worth all the fuss? im going to have like 100$ in a pair of shoes, probably 70-90 in a pedal (looking at the candy3's) plus cleats.

but is it worth it, also i would only be able to ride with the one pair of shoes (not that big of a deal)
    If you're going to try them, the "give it awhile" approach is a good idea. That way you get past the learning curve and have time to become acclimated.

I can't speak to whether they are "worth it", because I am a lame old flat pedal rider.

mtbr member
    There are a lot of threads discussing the pros and cons of clipless pedals. I've put just a couple of links below.

I use both but I actually prefer flats -- more freedom and less painful on my feet and legs (but many many people have no pain issues with clipless).

Clipless VS Platform pedals?
    Regret going clipless?
    2015 Trek Farley
    2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 650b
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    Eggbeaters are nice for shedding mud and snow, but they are not very durable. Pedal strikes will bend them. I prefer spd pedals myself.

Oh and cleats are included with the pedals.

cdouble
    http://mo7s.blogspot.com
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    If you want to give them a try, i would search craiglist or talk to some of your bike friends. You could find gently used clipless pedals, for half of the price. Just to get your feet wet......
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Look for some used ones first or find a buddy that uses clipless and ask to try it out. But work on your skills first. Develop skills like how to turn correctly and work on positioning. That way you can notice the big advantages to clipless. Just remember you take some nasty falls on the beginning.
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

Beer Me!
    Yes its totally worth it.

You can do it a lot cheaper than you think, look for used pedals on craigslist. This will actually be a good thing as used pedals and cleats tend to un-clip easier than brand new pedals, so less likely of a goober-fall. Though a very public, very ridiculous, elvis dance can't un-clip fall is 100% inevitable. Consider it a right of passage.

You can't switch between pedal types as it has to do with the cleat, so you would have to switch the cleat back and forth on the shoe as well. I am 100% eggbeater through and through, LOVE them. My dad on the other hand hates them and only rides SPD. We both get stuck in each others pedals on occasion when swapping bikes as they have slightly different "unclip" techniques (twist vs twist/pop). I think you get used to the clipless pedals you learn on. Eggbeaters do tend to be much better in the mud and grime than SPD's.

It takes a getting used to period, and a lot of feeling like a dork, but once you get it down its worth the extra power.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself