1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

what size frame scott scale 26" for a guy 177cm tall

Hi, I am 177cm tall (about 5.9' 1/2"?) and inseam of 80cm (about 31,5"?)
    What frame in a scott scale is recommended? I am on the border of M and L. Bike will be used for MTB Marathons or XC riding. Rather aggressive than comfortable riding 1,5-3 hours. What size do you guys have?

mtbr member
    When you're in between sizes, go with the smaller of the two. Having a bike that is alittle too small is better than having one that is alittle to big. I'm 6'1 with a relatively short inseam (33"). The stand over height on a 20-20.5" bike is just too close to the boys for me while a 19" is probably a little too small. Ideally, a 19.5" works well for me, but not every company makes frames in that size, so I ride a 19.

Best way to do it is to goto a shop and just starting trying out bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I visited a shop - but they only had L size (~19"), so what can I say after 5 minutes of riding around the store. A friend lent me a scale size M for 1,5 hours - felt a little to small in the beginning then got used to it. Both sizes fit.
    I'm just worried won't my back kill me on the M size?
    I used to own a 18" Merida Kalahari (comofrotbale geometry)and rode it for 10 years with no issues until I started in my first race - barely made it. Then I got a TFS Merida 20" and it is ok but kind of big for difficult terain. I also ride a 19" another brand and it is ok, although I feel I miss the flexibility and agility

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm 170 tall (5'7) and had the same dilemma deciding between a small or medium 29er Scale. I also hear your dilemma. What can you really learn from a 5 minute spin around the carpark? The thing that helped me is that there wasn't that much difference in top tube length between the small (590mm) and the medium (600mm) and that was easily adjusted with a longer stem so I chose the small. The standover difference was about 30mm which did make a difference and is not adjustable!!! I know stand over height doesn't matter when in the cockpit riding but it has helped me a couple of times now coming off the bike I was able to off step off and regain control. On the medium I may have tumbled over sideways.

The bike felt a little cramped at first but switching the stock 70mm stem for an 80mm stem and using spacers and flipping the stem to adjust the height has made the cockpit pretty comfortable now. Having said all that if I was on a 26er or one of the new 27.5 models I'd definitely choose the larger size medium. The top tube in those models in the small is way too short. On that basis maybe the large 26er might be better for you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Coming off a bike - definately safer on a smaller (M), manouvering and corneting - easier on a M. The L is probably more stable on straight, fast runs. The top tube is only 20mm shorter on the M but the height is 40mm difference. Also I presume ita easier to buy a longer stem by 10-20mm rather than shorten one?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    I'm 170 tall (5'7) and had the same dilemma deciding between a small or medium 29er Scale. I also hear your dilemma. What can you really learn from a 5 minute spin around the carpark? The thing that helped me is that there wasn't that much difference in top tube length between the small (590mm) and the medium (600mm) and that was easily adjusted with a longer stem so I chose the small. The standover difference was about 30mm which did make a difference and is not adjustable!!! I know stand over height doesn't matter when in the cockpit riding but it has helped me a couple of times now coming off the bike I was able to off step off and regain control. On the medium I may have tumbled over sideways.

The bike felt a little cramped at first but switching the stock 70mm stem for an 80mm stem and using spacers and flipping the stem to adjust the height has made the cockpit pretty comfortable now. Having said all that if I was on a 26er or one of the new 27.5 models I'd definitely choose the larger size medium. The top tube in those models in the small is way too short. On that basis maybe the large 26er might be better for you?
    THIS...I'm also 5'7 and eventually went with the small. It's worked out wonderfully, like the above guy says you can change out the stem but your not moving that standover, go with the Med IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    So I decided to go for the M size. I think both would fit but the M will allow better steering. So far I only used it for 40+km but almost all in terrain and climbing. Size feels great!
    By the way I think scott scale 26" will be extinct - they don't offer a 2014 26" model, but I don't mind

mtbr member
    I had the same dilemma. I am 5 foot 6 and stuck between Kona 16" and 17" frames.

Kona list the 16" as suitable for 5 foot to five foot 7 and the 17" suitable for 5 foot 4 to five foot 10. So not much help in my decision making!

I looked at the frame dimensions and could not figure it. My inseam is only 29" but l have fairly long arms.

After much deliberation l went with the 17" as it just felt better to ride.

Redcoat
    Quote Originally Posted by KrzysztofMTB View Post
    I visited a shop - but they only had L size (~19"), so what can I say after 5 minutes of riding around the store. A friend lent me a scale size M for 1,5 hours - felt a little to small in the beginning then got used to it. Both sizes fit.
    I'm just worried won't my back kill me on the M size?
    I used to own a 18" Merida Kalahari (comofrotbale geometry)and rode it for 10 years with no issues until I started in my first race - barely made it. Then I got a TFS Merida 20" and it is ok but kind of big for difficult terain. I also ride a 19" another brand and it is ok, although I feel I miss the flexibility and agility
    your back is more likely to hurt with a large as you will be leant further forwars and less support for your back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KrzysztofMTB View Post
    So I decided to go for the M size. I think both would fit but the M will allow better steering. So far I only used it for 40+km but almost all in terrain and climbing. Size feels great!
    By the way I think scott scale 26" will be extinct - they don't offer a 2014 26" model, but I don't mind
    Congratulations. Glad you're pleased with your choice of size. Here in NZ the 2013 29ers are pretty much all sold out but there's still quite a few 2013 26ers available. I guess the 29ers are all the rage these days and sell like hot cakes. The 26ers not so much anymore.

Enjoy your new ride.