1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

What should you carry while riding?

I was just going through my Camelbak the other day and was cleaning it out. Took the opportunity to catalogue what was in there and put together a little information about what was in there and why.

20 Things A Mountain Biker Should Have With Them On The Trail

I think I have most of my bases covered most of the time. I seem to pack more than most of my riding friends (and usually end up fixing their stuff for them!)

What does everyone else carry with them when they ride?
    "I am hard at work right now, you just can't tell because I'm wearing an apron!"

BikeFAT.com

Picture Unrelated
    Always:
    - 3L bladder: I drink a lot of water, always.
    - Park AWS-10 multi allen wrench: The short wrench arms of most cycling multi tools are too short to reach some bolts. That makes this tool preferred for most uses.
    - Park CT-5 chain tool. Not only my pack chain tool but my "shop" chain tool as well. Much better than the integrated chain tools on multi tools.
    - Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV pump: Fast and capable of proper pressures without wearing out your arms. Also it won't run out of CO2 like an inflator could after multiple flats.
    - "Glueless" patches: I prefer these to the glue patches.
    - Tire levers: favorite are Pedros but I think I'm carrying generic ones with me in my pack right now.
    - Inner tube: at least one which I keep wrapped up in a shop rag to protect it.
    - Zip ties: you never know when these will be handy. Once I bashed a master cylinder on my brake lever which seized the caliper closed. After I kicked the caliper free from the rotor I zip tied it to the swingarm so I could get back to the car.
    - First aid kit: a recent addition, I suppose it's better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one.
    - Food: for long rides I have a lot of food with me but even for short rides I'll make sure I have an emergency ProBar and a gel in the pack. If something goes wrong or if I end up feeling rotten it's nice to have supplies.

Usually:
    - Shock pump: it's really not that heavy and it's occasionally very handy.
    - Duct tape: I used to keep a length of tape wound around my pump but I lost that pump on the trail somewhere. I've forgotten to restock since.
    - Clothing layers: in winter a warm coat and headband; in summer a windbreaker or rain coat.
    - Derailleur hanger - [knocks on wood] I've been riding without one for my current bike for a few years but before that I would always have one with me. At one time I had been riding with two in my pack and managed to break two hangers clean off the bike in one ride. My current bike has a replaceable entire dropout section so it is a bit heavier to carry a spare around, but I should get back into the habit.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Only one item

Just a little heavy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What should you carry while riding?-sparebike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Re: Bike on the back!

Awesome style! Just bring a spare bike. That should repair anything that breaks on the trail!

Is there a good story behind that shot?
    "I am hard at work right now, you just can't tell because I'm wearing an apron!"

BikeFAT.com

I build my own.
    Matbar, have you been through this thread?
    Mountain Bike Ride Packing List
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

ooopsy!

Thanks trail ninja. I can't believe I didn't see that there in the stickys!

Is there any way to merge this thread into that one?

BikeFAT.com

I build my own.
    I'd just put your first post in that thread and let this one die. I'll bet zebrahum has already put his list there.

zeb?
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

no trees are safe
    One thing you should NEVER forget is a mobile phone with a full battery. You never know if you won't need to make the call.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by matbar20 View Post
    Awesome style! Just bring a spare bike. That should repair anything that breaks on the trail!

Is there a good story behind that shot?
    No, sorry, no cool story. I just did it as a gag -- zip-tied my wife's bike to a backpack frame. It was worth it to see the expression on people's faces They thought I was crazy no doubt.

I didn't know if I would actually be able to ride with it or not. Turns out it is actually quite easy. Too bad, because I can't think of any scenario where it could be useful The only problem is that I couldn't bend my head back enough because my helmet hit the frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What should you carry while riding?-sparebike2.jpg  

I build my own.
    Actually there was a thread a few weeks back where a fellow crashed and had to be evacuated by stretcher. His buddy rode his bike out in a similar manner. I wish I could remember the thread, he had pictures.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    It was something like "always carry a spare" I think...

I always carry a couple of these instead of a roll of toilet paper. They have travel/camping ones that are super thin, individually packaged and are only about 2"x2":

mtbr member
    I carry a comb. You never know when you're going to meet a trail babe. And, it's the easiest way to get cholla balls out of your leg.
    Just because you can't hear them scream doesn't mean they don't. Save a plant, eat meat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    That cant feel good

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Actually there was a thread a few weeks back where a fellow crashed and had to be evacuated by stretcher. His buddy rode his bike out in a similar manner. I wish I could remember the thread, he had pictures.
    When this happened to me and my buddy I through our bikes over the side of a very steep hill where nobody would ever be hiking. It sucked dragging them out though.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I might as well post here. I always take a tube, pump, and tire levers. On longer rides I take my phone and Ipod. On very long rides I bring an extra tube and my multi tool. I need to bring my multi tool more so I have a chain breaker.

P.S. Beware of under seat bags. I have had them bust open and unzip on me. This has happened to me with multiple bags of multiple brands.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    That happened to me on my FIRST ride... Timbuk 2 bag unzipped because I didn't close it all the way. I only knew because the keys were on the lanyard on the flap and were hitting the seat post. While combing over the previous terrain where my **** dropped out I felt like James woods on Family Guy... "ooh! Piece of candy. Ooh! Piece of candy. Ooh! Piece of candy"...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Another thing to add to the all-inclusive packing list:

"Straps to fasten your disabled buddy's bike to your back"

mtbr member
    Lezyne RAP 6, 2 tubes, 2 tire levers, CO2 with 2x20 grams, derailleur hanger, mess of zippy-ties, sometimes a shock pump, phone, wallet, keys, 2 Liters of H2oh oh oh, and a granola bar for my fatness.
    "Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

everythng

everything

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

one square meal food :D

one square meal bars or OSM
    not sure if they are available outside new zealand
    they are a musli bar with 33% of the a normal daily intake including fats, proteins, sugar salts, vitamins etc etc etc) they are really good "out" food

Shorty
    My rides usually don't exceed 2 hours, so fast and light is the way to go. In winter, 24 oz. water bottle filled with gatorade, a stinger waffle, tool, tire lever, tube, Co2 pump, ID & cards, howler whistle, cell phone, keys - and it all fits in my pockets, no bag needed. Love the freedom. Oh, and kinda obvious but cell & ID always go in the zipped pockets in case of a bad crash.

For longer rides (w/camel bak), I add a water bladder, duct tape, ziplock first aid kit & a couple of sports bars.

mtbr member
    Id always have a mobile phone with full charge, first aid kit and some cash.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Might as well add my 2 cents
    spare tube and patch kit
    tire levers
    pump
    chain tool
    multitool
    spare derailleur hanger since breaking one left me walking last year.
    fully charged phone for ohh **** I broke my something call and strava
    couple cliff bars and some cash and ID
    small med kit with some small gauze strips, pain pills and band aides
    I know its sounds like allot but in the camel back its not that heavy and s small bag of kleenx just incase mother nature calls.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Get a better bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Bring tools, always do so

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast