1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

what online retailer for gear/parts/tools?

want to make sure i'm ordering from a reputable place. bluesky cycling has mixed reviews, jenson USA seems all positive. any other places to get gear from? LBS are limited in current my area.

i was going to order a bunch of stuff from amazon but fear ill get a bunch of packages at different times. id like to place one bulk order and rock n roll.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

banned
    Mar 2011
    Parktool.com has an extensive list of online(good) sources for bike tools.

mtbr member
    Had a great experience ordering from JensonUSA... Order processed at midnight, UPS guy at my door the following afternoon (I live in Canada, and didn't pay for expedited shipping, so needless to say I was a little shocked). Prices were good and everything was as described.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I buy most stuff from Amazon, but you're right.. you'll get a bunch of separate orders unless you pick a retailer that has everything you need. I do like hucknroll.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Jenson! They have price match so you always get the best price. No shipping costs because the warehouse is right next to one of the local trails and you can pick up your merch at will call when you ride.

mtbr member
    ill poke around jenson, thanks folks.

mtbr member
    I've bought a lot from Jensonas they're not that far from me. I've also had great service from Pricepoint.com and Universal Cycles. I also like another place but when you name them here, you get kind of a nasty flag as the shop doesn't advertise on MTBR. Huck - n - Roll. Do a search for them - sometimes not the greatest selection but sometimes have great pricing (i bought a cassette from them for $63 that others were selling for over $100).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Does anyone have good experiences from online retailers shipping to Canada? I'm in Ontario and I want to order from California but I'm nervous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingoliver View Post
    Does anyone have good experiences from online retailers shipping to Canada? I'm in Ontario and I want to order from California but I'm nervous.
    jensons FAQ page....

Canadian Orders

All Canadian orders are shipped via UPS International. Delivery times are often as fast as 1-2 days, and guaranteed within 5 business days.

We collect GST/PST at checkout and pay them on your behalf. There are no brokerage charges, import duty, or customs charges. The price you see at checkout is the price you will pay, with nothing due at delivery!

For additional information on shipping to Canada, please visit this page.
    JensonUSA.com - Your Mountain & Road Bike online parts supplier!

mtbr member
    +1 for Jenson. I'm in Canada and order stuff from them all the time. If in stock, usually it's shipped the same day and shows up at my office the following afternoon.

mtbr member
    i placed my order with jensons last night, withholding comment but nothing is backordered yet it has yet to be shipped. not going to be happy if it screws up my 2nd day air shipping. wanted to have the stuff by Thursday.

we'll see...

Made in Canada
    I also live in Ontario, Canada, and have great experiences with JensonUSA (their new UPS shipping without brokerage at the border is awesome!), Pricepoint, Cambria Bike, and Chain Reaction Cycles. But note when ordering from Pricepoint or Cambria to ask for shipping by USPS, it'll take longer but you won't be gouged by brokerage fees at the border. You should have the stuff from Jenson quick, they're usually quite good with that.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    i placed my order with jensons last night, withholding comment but nothing is backordered yet it has yet to be shipped. not going to be happy if it screws up my 2nd day air shipping. wanted to have the stuff by Thursday.

we'll see...
    looks like it did get shipped today. cool

mtbr member
    May 2011
    for future reference you should check out seasonaloutfitters.com . I have found that they sell sram stuff pretty cheap compared to other places..

mtbr member
    The key to my last post was "if in stock." Sometimes Jenson will show an item as in stock until you go to the checkout page, where it will say "ships in 2-5 days" or something. Yes, I find it a bit iffy but am willing to overlook because generally their shipping to Canada for stuff that is Really In Stock is so good. If I need it right away, I'll pick an equivalent that will ship right away.

This is in contrast to CRC, where the prices are good on certain things and shipping is free on orders over 250 to CAN, but can take two weeks or more to arrive. I got my card jacked on another US- based site I had high hopes for, whereas Jenson has been typically hassle-free. No luck finding a competitive Canadian-based online retailer so far.

I wish Canada could get the same free shipping on orders over 150 as the US...
    Last edited by Flats; 08-09-2011 at 08:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Bluesky is great. I just bought a full XTR kit on sale from them. The fron derailleur was not compat with my Blur XC so I sent it in for exchange. It took them an extra week to reply but they called me to chat about what I requested in order to make sure fitment was correct.

Good in my book!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    One thing about Blue Sky is that a lot of the stuff they sell are OEM type with no retail packaging. Not a big deal but I didn't know that when ordering. They along with Jenson, Cambria and Pricepoint are fairly well known here. I've bought from all no problem. Another one that I like is Outside Outfitters. They are VERY VERY slow to fulfill the order (they note that in their site) and it takes like a week to get it out the door, but their prices on certain items were hands down lowest so check them out as well

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Jenson's stuff comes from MN, which is why is was so fast to Canada, in nor cal it took 5 days to get here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky916 View Post
    Jenson's stuff comes from MN, which is why is was so fast to Canada, in nor cal it took 5 days to get here.
    only some of it comes from MN. 5 of my items shipped from CA, 1 shipped from MN.

Huckin' trails
    eBay is good too.. lot of online retailers there who have quite a bunch of stuff that you need and have very competitive prices, but I like Jenson a lot for is customer service, huge selection, good price and low shipping cost... I was ordering a lot of parts for my bike and planned on getting the total up to $150 to get free shipping... Then after I've look at how much it would had cost me for shipping and it was like $10 for all....

I've received everything in a big 10' cube box and even without free shipping, it would had cost me only $10... So I was pretty amazed. To order from them to Canada, I still has to try, but I'm not aware of the shipping rate, since I did not tried yet.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

AZ
    banned
    AZ's house of bicycle goods. PM me for paypal instructions.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Wait...

Was that paypal billing address in Taiwan ??

Damnit !
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Do not use UK probike. Returns sucks and customer service for warranty is terrible.

I will only use USA vendors even if the price is more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone ordered from BlueSkyCycling, that lives in Ontario?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast