1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Staying out of the way

What NOT to eat before riding!

I have discovered that eating a breakfast consisting of a convenience store pastry, a Rockstar Juiced energy drink and a banana 15 minutes before riding at a challenging pace in some hills, is a bad thing.

I have no idea what I was thinking, but perhaps someone else can learn from my mistake.

I was running a little late for the ride so I grabbed a quick snack on the way. Sadly, this ended up causing me to call it a day way earlier than I would have liked. The next day I did 10-11 miles without an issue, but I payed attention to what, and when, I ate my meal before the ride. It made that much of a difference!

MTB'er in Training
    Dec 2006
    Did it just cause you to lack energy? Or did it mess up your stomach?

I just ask because I really need to pay attention to what I eat before riding...on Sunday I was running late, no food at the house...woke up...got ready to ride...stopped at McDonald's for a egg and cheese McMuffin...then went to ride...and MAN...I was so out of energy WAY before I normally would have been...sucked!
    "Havin' a good time, here today...Watching the sun shine, matinee...Never the wrong time, time we stay...Living the moontime, time we play"

Rockflopper
    Chocolate milkshakes and 40 mile bike rides don't mix.

mtbr member
    My morning ride diet is, 2 blueberry waffles with real maple syrup (none of that corn syrup crap) and a packet or 2 dry banana oatmeal (I eat it right out of the bag). Wash it all down with 2 8oz glasses of water. I do this about an hour before my rides. Milk, Cereal, orange juice, power bars, etc. will make nauseous. --Mark

1.21 Jigowatts!
    Taco Bell within an hour of riding brings a very uncomfortable ride.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

MTB'er in Training
    Dec 2006
    I think the best "pre-ride" breakfast I have eaten was two pieces of toast with peanut butter spread on them...and a banana...mmm, mmm, good!
    "Havin' a good time, here today...Watching the sun shine, matinee...Never the wrong time, time we stay...Living the moontime, time we play"

Staying out of the way
    Quote Originally Posted by PanicFan77
    Did it just cause you to lack energy? Or did it mess up your stomach?
    Nausea

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I had a buddy who ate a plate of eggs benedict for breakfast about half an hour before we went for a ride. He was green about half way through and tried to make himself throw up in the woods but it didn't work. He does not eat eggs benedict before rides anymore.

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by brubakes
    Taco Bell within an hour of riding brings a very uncomfortable ride.
    Taco Bell within an hour after riding can also bring a very uncomfortable drive home.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Taco Bell should be illegal - especially when they are the only place open when the bars close and you need food

[SIZE="1"](Just a public service reminder for those in their "Terrible Twenties")[/SIZE]

Dirt Abuser
    Cliff bar....

Wheeee!!!!
    May 2007
    One of my favorites is cold pizza and a big glass of water.

Then Cliff Shots/Sharkies/Goo when pulling into the parking lot.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I eat two eggs and bacon, juice toast within an hour starting of the start for anything longer than 2 hours.

Gotta have a little fat and protein, to keep on keeping on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'd say stay away from anything that gives you diarhea.

I usually eat 2 pieces of whole grain toast with low-fat cottage cheese on them. No fat, good carbs, decent protien, and can eat it as I'm driving (I hate getting up early).

mtbr member
    May 2007

Brunch

The best thing I have is a PB& J along with a banana...
    Other than that you may hit a clif shot about 10 minutes before the ride..

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Well, you kinda need to give it more than 15 minutes if you want your body to turn food -> energy. Remember the whole 'don't swim 30 minutes after eating' spiels you'd get as a child? Give it an hour or so next time at least.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Actually, cold pizza is one of the least horrible breakfast foods out there. Kinda heavy on the fat but eh.

Bananas are great stuff.