1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

What Are My Options Under $400

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and have been wanting to get back into riding for a while now. I haven't road for about a year and a half now, and I am in need of a new ride.

I never got into anything to complicated as far as bicycles before, so I am searching for something that will be good for a beginner.

A few of the options I have looked into are the Dawes Haymaker 1000 and 1200 and the Airborne SkyHawk.

I will buy used if I can find a good deal. I am in the Spokane, WA area.

Thanks for your help,

Edit: If I extended my budget to $500-$550, what would my options be?
    Last edited by Shakenbake158; 01-13-2013 at 04:52 PM.

mtbr member
    For a new bike, the options you list are likely the best that you will find.
    Airborne with free freight is a good deal.
    You may find a good bike used for this price, however it will likely be several years old and you'll need to inspect it for wear and tear to make sure it is a deal.
    If you want a new bike that you can hit the trails on and just get riding, then the options you listed are all very good for a $400 budget.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Or search craigs list for used deals. You should be able to find something good for 400.

mtbr member
    X2. You could get a real solid hard tail for $400 used. Even if you have to get a cassette, chain, cables, etc, you'll be better off in the long run with better components.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Definitely a used bike. Check out the LBS's around colleges - those usualy have a good selection of used bikes.

-S

mtbr member
    Check pinkbike.com. Massive selection of used bikes, with most users willing to ship within the nation.

Cow Clicker
    If you know nothing about bikes, you are taking a gamble buying a used bike. There are people who will lie to your face and you will not realize it until the money has changed hands and you are stuck. Check with your local club for used, at least there is some accountability there.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been looking on Craig's just to see what's on there, but I'm lost. I don't know what brand to look for or models.

What models should I be looking for?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you are around 6" this large Spec Hardrock Sport Disc is an ok bike with a poor Suntour fork. 350 would be a good price. And the second link is the upgrade fork. Suntour is also offering and upgrade air fork at about the same price. A thread in this section talks about it.
    ***Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er***
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29er Coil Fork

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakenbake158 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been looking on Craig's just to see what's on there, but I'm lost. I don't know what brand to look for or models.

What models should I be looking for?
    Nothing really specific - do your research, bounce what you find off the regulars here. You'll get a lot of good input.

You'll find a lot of department store bikes on Craig's though so it's good to know which listings to ignore.

-S

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was the same way. Looked on craigslist and found nothing at a good price (no deals) checked ebay, better prices, but $75-$125 shipping costs ruined those deals. Looked at pinkbike, but it seemed to me that most of the bikes that i liked were in canada, & shipping & fear of getting ripped off (I read the bad sellers forum/stories) kept me from that (I did end up buying forks from a guy, everything went smooth!)

So I ended up going with an airborne skyhawk and love it! $349 delivered to my door, plus about $40 for pedals

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Okay, well thanks again. Eb1888 I looked at that bike, and if I could get it for $350 I'd be happy. I'll do a little more looking around of Craigslist and let you guys know if I find anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Check to see if you a local mtb association in your area and if they have forum. Here in Dallas we have DORBA (Dallas Offroad Bike) and you can sometimes find good deals on parts or complete bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If I decide to buy new, what would be my best option online? As far as bikedirect vs Airborne.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Im biased, but very happy!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Are My Options Under 0-uploadfromtaptalk1358119202617.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    If you are around 6" this large Spec Hardrock Sport Disc is an ok bike with a poor Suntour fork. 350 would be a good price. And the second link is the upgrade fork. Suntour is also offering and upgrade air fork at about the same price. A thread in this section talks about it.
    Well, I contacted the seller, and he said $450 is firm, won't even go down to $400.

mtbr member
    Another thing to consider with a purchase of a new bike like the Airborne is that you get a bike with a FULL WARRANTY.
    You get Airborne's warranty + the manufacturer's warranties on all the components.
    You will likely not find that on a used bike at the price you specified.
    I'm a big fan of purchasing used bikes, however when someone is on a budget of $400, that used bike that seems like such a good deal can turn in to a headache if parts replacement is required.
    New tires, brake pads, chainrings, shifters, chains, cables, grips, etc can add up to several hundred dollars in addition very quickly if a used bike at this price is not in very good condition.
    So, if your main goal is to just get riding again on a decent bike under $400 I'll tell you to really consider new because you get a full warranty and all new parts and you shouldn't have to spend any additional money unless you want to upgrade things.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Another thing to consider with a purchase of a new bike like the Airborne is that you get a bike with a FULL WARRANTY.
    You get Airborne's warranty + the manufacturer's warranties on all the components.
    You will likely not find that on a used bike at the price you specified.
    I'm a big fan of purchasing used bikes, however when someone is on a budget of $400, that used bike that seems like such a good deal can turn in to a headache if parts replacement is required.
    New tires, brake pads, chainrings, shifters, chains, cables, grips, etc can add up to several hundred dollars in addition very quickly if a used bike at this price is not in very good condition.
    So, if your main goal is to just get riding again on a decent bike under $400 I'll tell you to really consider new because you get a full warranty and all new parts and you shouldn't have to spend any additional money unless you want to upgrade things.
    Okay, thank you for your advice. So now what would you think is the best deal? I could probably extend my budget to $500. Are there any on bikesdirect I should be considering?

How about this Mountain Bikes - MTB - Dawes Haymaker 1500

Flow like water
    OP, have you walked into any local bike shops?

Try it. Just tell them your budget and your interest. Let them respond. Some may have used bikes or last year's model bikes at a discount. If not, you are not out much more than an ask.

It is a good time of year to get a bargain at an LBS.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

banned
    Aug 2012
    OP,
    I traded an old road bike for a NEW Fuji Nevada 1.9, yesterday.

They retail for $459, but you might find one for $400 if you look around, or can find a 2012 model.

Check your LBS's well ... You'll find something in that price range.

mtbr member
    Craigslist is where I found my bike. It was a 2011 Giant revel 0. It had been ridden once or twice and got it for $300. I'm not to familiar with tuning bikes, so buying at my lbs would have had free tune ups. Nice but for the price I paid it will be awhile before I even break even on the thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post

Well after contacting the guy for a little, he said the bike had been ridden once. And that he would go down to $410.

I'm thinking this is a pretty good deal. But I'm also considering a Motobecane from BD as well as the Dawes Haymaker 1500, any input?

mtbr member
    My dad just bought the motobecane 550 ht from bd with the hydraulic brakes and it came in today. Taking it out of the box...the rear tire was on backwards and it needed to be somewhat put together. The front wheel did not spin smoothly. Opened the hub up and there was a tiny bit of grease around the bearings. Not as much as there should have been. The rear cassette didn't appear to be high quality. The hydraulic dracos feel a lot better than my bb5's. My mom just bought a 2012 Diamondback Overdrive 29er from Amazon on sale. It will be interesting to compare the quality between the two when her's arrives.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I ride a Motobecane Fantom Comp from Bikes Direct. I had the complete opposite experience that above. I have over 500 miles on the bike and its rock solid. I rode a 24 mile sponsored ride this weekend. All on trails and 1900ft of climbing

I would not hesitate in recommending a Motobecane. My local bike shop could not come close to the quality for the same price.

UNPACKING

ASSEMBLED

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by magohn View Post
    I ride a Motobecane Fantom Comp from Bikes Direct. I had the complete opposite experience that above. I have over 500 miles on the bike and its rock solid. I rode a 24 mile sponsored ride this weekend. All on trails and 1900ft of climbing

I would not hesitate in recommending a Motobecane. My local bike shop could not come close to the quality for the same price.

UNPACKING

ASSEMBLED
    Thanks for the pics, what model do you own?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast