• 01-12-2013
    Shakenbake158
    What Are My Options Under $400
    Hey guys, I am new to this forum and have been wanting to get back into riding for a while now. I haven't road for about a year and a half now, and I am in need of a new ride.

    I never got into anything to complicated as far as bicycles before, so I am searching for something that will be good for a beginner.

    A few of the options I have looked into are the Dawes Haymaker 1000 and 1200 and the Airborne SkyHawk.

    I will buy used if I can find a good deal. I am in the Spokane, WA area.


    Thanks for your help,


    Edit: If I extended my budget to $500-$550, what would my options be?
  • 01-12-2013
    11053
    For a new bike, the options you list are likely the best that you will find.
    Airborne with free freight is a good deal.
    You may find a good bike used for this price, however it will likely be several years old and you'll need to inspect it for wear and tear to make sure it is a deal.
    If you want a new bike that you can hit the trails on and just get riding, then the options you listed are all very good for a $400 budget.
  • 01-12-2013
    WVJon75
    Or search craigs list for used deals. You should be able to find something good for 400.
  • 01-12-2013
    Hoban
    X2. You could get a real solid hard tail for $400 used. Even if you have to get a cassette, chain, cables, etc, you'll be better off in the long run with better components.
  • 01-12-2013
    SunDevilAZ
    Definitely a used bike. Check out the LBS's around colleges - those usualy have a good selection of used bikes.

    -S
  • 01-12-2013
    ArionRemedy8
    Check pinkbike.com. Massive selection of used bikes, with most users willing to ship within the nation.
  • 01-12-2013
    wmac
    If you know nothing about bikes, you are taking a gamble buying a used bike. There are people who will lie to your face and you will not realize it until the money has changed hands and you are stuck. Check with your local club for used, at least there is some accountability there.
  • 01-13-2013
    Shakenbake158
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been looking on Craig's just to see what's on there, but I'm lost. I don't know what brand to look for or models.

    What models should I be looking for?
  • 01-13-2013
    eb1888
    If you are around 6" this large Spec Hardrock Sport Disc is an ok bike with a poor Suntour fork. 350 would be a good price. And the second link is the upgrade fork. Suntour is also offering and upgrade air fork at about the same price. A thread in this section talks about it.
    ***Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er***
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29er Coil Fork
  • 01-13-2013
    SunDevilAZ
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Shakenbake158 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been looking on Craig's just to see what's on there, but I'm lost. I don't know what brand to look for or models.

    What models should I be looking for?

    Nothing really specific - do your research, bounce what you find off the regulars here. You'll get a lot of good input.

    You'll find a lot of department store bikes on Craig's though so it's good to know which listings to ignore.

    -S
  • 01-13-2013
    mi26r
    I was the same way. Looked on craigslist and found nothing at a good price (no deals) checked ebay, better prices, but $75-$125 shipping costs ruined those deals. Looked at pinkbike, but it seemed to me that most of the bikes that i liked were in canada, & shipping & fear of getting ripped off (I read the bad sellers forum/stories) kept me from that (I did end up buying forks from a guy, everything went smooth!)

    So I ended up going with an airborne skyhawk and love it! $349 delivered to my door, plus about $40 for pedals

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
  • 01-13-2013
    Shakenbake158
    Okay, well thanks again. Eb1888 I looked at that bike, and if I could get it for $350 I'd be happy. I'll do a little more looking around of Craigslist and let you guys know if I find anything.
  • 01-13-2013
    50calray
    Check to see if you a local mtb association in your area and if they have forum. Here in Dallas we have DORBA (Dallas Offroad Bike) and you can sometimes find good deals on parts or complete bikes.
  • 01-13-2013
    Shakenbake158
    If I decide to buy new, what would be my best option online? As far as bikedirect vs Airborne.
  • 01-13-2013
    mi26r
    1 Attachment(s)
    Im biased, but very happy!

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
  • 01-13-2013
    Shakenbake158
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    If you are around 6" this large Spec Hardrock Sport Disc is an ok bike with a poor Suntour fork. 350 would be a good price. And the second link is the upgrade fork. Suntour is also offering and upgrade air fork at about the same price. A thread in this section talks about it.
    ***Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er***
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29er Coil Fork

    Well, I contacted the seller, and he said $450 is firm, won't even go down to $400.
  • 01-13-2013
    11053
    Another thing to consider with a purchase of a new bike like the Airborne is that you get a bike with a FULL WARRANTY.
    You get Airborne's warranty + the manufacturer's warranties on all the components.
    You will likely not find that on a used bike at the price you specified.
    I'm a big fan of purchasing used bikes, however when someone is on a budget of $400, that used bike that seems like such a good deal can turn in to a headache if parts replacement is required.
    New tires, brake pads, chainrings, shifters, chains, cables, grips, etc can add up to several hundred dollars in addition very quickly if a used bike at this price is not in very good condition.
    So, if your main goal is to just get riding again on a decent bike under $400 I'll tell you to really consider new because you get a full warranty and all new parts and you shouldn't have to spend any additional money unless you want to upgrade things.
  • 01-13-2013
    Shakenbake158
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Another thing to consider with a purchase of a new bike like the Airborne is that you get a bike with a FULL WARRANTY.
    You get Airborne's warranty + the manufacturer's warranties on all the components.
    You will likely not find that on a used bike at the price you specified.
    I'm a big fan of purchasing used bikes, however when someone is on a budget of $400, that used bike that seems like such a good deal can turn in to a headache if parts replacement is required.
    New tires, brake pads, chainrings, shifters, chains, cables, grips, etc can add up to several hundred dollars in addition very quickly if a used bike at this price is not in very good condition.
    So, if your main goal is to just get riding again on a decent bike under $400 I'll tell you to really consider new because you get a full warranty and all new parts and you shouldn't have to spend any additional money unless you want to upgrade things.

    Okay, thank you for your advice. So now what would you think is the best deal? I could probably extend my budget to $500. Are there any on bikesdirect I should be considering?

    How about this Mountain Bikes - MTB - Dawes Haymaker 1500
  • 01-13-2013
    DavyRay
    OP, have you walked into any local bike shops?

    Try it. Just tell them your budget and your interest. Let them respond. Some may have used bikes or last year's model bikes at a discount. If not, you are not out much more than an ask.

    It is a good time of year to get a bargain at an LBS.
  • 01-13-2013
    bikeabuser
    OP,
    I traded an old road bike for a NEW Fuji Nevada 1.9, yesterday.

    They retail for $459, but you might find one for $400 if you look around, or can find a 2012 model.

    Check your LBS's well ... You'll find something in that price range.
  • 01-13-2013
    SQUIRRELSHOOTR
    Craigslist is where I found my bike. It was a 2011 Giant revel 0. It had been ridden once or twice and got it for $300. I'm not to familiar with tuning bikes, so buying at my lbs would have had free tune ups. Nice but for the price I paid it will be awhile before I even break even on the thing.
  • 01-14-2013
    Shakenbake158
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    If you are around 6" this large Spec Hardrock Sport Disc is an ok bike with a poor Suntour fork. 350 would be a good price. And the second link is the upgrade fork. Suntour is also offering and upgrade air fork at about the same price. A thread in this section talks about it.
    ***Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er***
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29er Coil Fork


    Well after contacting the guy for a little, he said the bike had been ridden once. And that he would go down to $410.

    I'm thinking this is a pretty good deal. But I'm also considering a Motobecane from BD as well as the Dawes Haymaker 1500, any input?
  • 01-14-2013
    SQUIRRELSHOOTR
    My dad just bought the motobecane 550 ht from bd with the hydraulic brakes and it came in today. Taking it out of the box...the rear tire was on backwards and it needed to be somewhat put together. The front wheel did not spin smoothly. Opened the hub up and there was a tiny bit of grease around the bearings. Not as much as there should have been. The rear cassette didn't appear to be high quality. The hydraulic dracos feel a lot better than my bb5's. My mom just bought a 2012 Diamondback Overdrive 29er from Amazon on sale. It will be interesting to compare the quality between the two when her's arrives.
  • 01-15-2013
    magohn
    I ride a Motobecane Fantom Comp from Bikes Direct. I had the complete opposite experience that above. I have over 500 miles on the bike and its rock solid. I rode a 24 mile sponsored ride this weekend. All on trails and 1900ft of climbing

    I would not hesitate in recommending a Motobecane. My local bike shop could not come close to the quality for the same price.


    UNPACKING


    ASSEMBLED
  • 01-15-2013
    Shakenbake158
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by magohn View Post
    I ride a Motobecane Fantom Comp from Bikes Direct. I had the complete opposite experience that above. I have over 500 miles on the bike and its rock solid. I rode a 24 mile sponsored ride this weekend. All on trails and 1900ft of climbing

    I would not hesitate in recommending a Motobecane. My local bike shop could not come close to the quality for the same price.


    UNPACKING


    ASSEMBLED

    Thanks for the pics, what model do you own?
  • 01-16-2013
    sje
    For whatever it's worth, I'm brand new to riding (have only been on a few real trail rides so far), so I purchased a Motobecane 300ht for less than $300. Now, because I am totally new to mtb, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on my first ride, but at the same time, I didn't want to buy a department store bike--I found the 300ht to be a nice entry level price and quality. I've consulted with a family friend who has been riding a long time and he said that the Motobecane is probably the best bike you can get for that money. Once I have more trial time under my belt, I can give a better detailed report, but so far I love it.
  • 01-16-2013
    Rantz
    Do not count on airbornes warranty or customer service. I recently had a crankset fold in half and it took 3 weeks and the threat of a chargeback just to get a response from them. I had the bike for a grand total of 4 days. After about another 2 weeks of going back and forth we settled on having them pay for shipping the bike back and refunding my money. I will never buy another airborne nor recommend one. Glad you're happy with your purchase, just be wary of the "warranty".
  • 01-16-2013
    kjlued
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    My dad just bought the motobecane 550 ht from bd with the hydraulic brakes and it came in today. Taking it out of the box...the rear tire was on backwards and it needed to be somewhat put together. The front wheel did not spin smoothly. Opened the hub up and there was a tiny bit of grease around the bearings. Not as much as there should have been. The rear cassette didn't appear to be high quality. The hydraulic dracos feel a lot better than my bb5's. My mom just bought a 2012 Diamondback Overdrive 29er from Amazon on sale. It will be interesting to compare the quality between the two when her's arrives.

    Sounds like most the issues with the Motobecane were component issues which would have nothing to do with the manufacturer of the bike. However if it was bought from Bikesdirect, they have always seemed good about taking care of issues.

    As far as the DB Overdrive goes, I had one prior to my current bike which is a Marin Bolinas Ridge. The DB was complete junk. Returned it to REI and for $20 more got the Marin. Still an entry level bike but day and night difference. I love the Marin.

    I hope your experience with the DB is a lot better than mine.

    Paid $479 for my Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er on clearance reg $699.

    Online shops will always have the best overall prices due to the low overhead.
    Not that I am opposed to buying online for a deal however sometimes there are a few headaches even from the best online sellers.
    I always recommend checking local first for this reason and also for the reason of keeping money in your community. This time of year, you may be able to find a good deal locally as local shops need to clear out last years inventory and less people are buying bikes.
  • 01-16-2013
    bonzaii
    I got a scott for $100 NZD hard tail with terrible shocks
    if you get a hardtail with damage (minor) easy fix and update componentry
    (shocks gears etc) you could make a pretty awesome entry level bike
  • 01-16-2013
    Shakenbake158
    Well I went to my local Wheel Sport, and they had a sale on the Fuji Nevada 1.9 29er, so I went ahead and picked it up.

    Does anyone have any recommendations for a suspension upgrade?

    Thanksm
  • 01-16-2013
    sheepdogreno
    i was in the same position of you over the past few months. bikesdirect has several to choose from in your price range. i bought a gravity G29 SS from them recently and i cant say enough about their customer service. im on opposite end of the country from them and they had it to my door in four days. very pleased with BD and the quality of the bike i got for the money i spent! i checked CL everyday and never saw anything worth looking at.
  • 01-17-2013
    kjlued
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Shakenbake158 View Post
    Well I went to my local Wheel Sport, and they had a sale on the Fuji Nevada 1.9 29er, so I went ahead and picked it up.

    Does anyone have any recommendations for a suspension upgrade?

    Thanksm

    The fork would be the first think I get rid off that bike.
    That Suntour XCT is nothing but a glorified pogo stick.

    Budget minded I like the Rockshox Recon.
    Bang for the buck, the Rockshox Reba.




    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sheepdogreno View Post
    i was in the same position of you over the past few months. bikesdirect has several to choose from in your price range. i bought a gravity G29 SS from them recently and i cant say enough about their customer service. im on opposite end of the country from them and they had it to my door in four days. very pleased with BD and the quality of the bike i got for the money i spent! i checked CL everyday and never saw anything worth looking at.

    Man, I have been eyeballing the G29 SS for a bit now but keep looking for something that even comes close in price locally and can't find it.

    I just need to pull the trigger on it.
  • 01-25-2013
    SpaceCraft
    What about for a 5'6" girl not looking to do much that's super technical but doesn't want something super janky, either? Under $300 would be even better. :)
  • 01-25-2013
    kjlued
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpaceCraft View Post
    What about for a 5'6" girl not looking to do much that's super technical but doesn't want something super janky, either? Under $300 would be even better. :)

    For under $300 and not super janky you will be better off buying used or buying online at some place like bikesdirrect.com