1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    sje
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    For whatever it's worth, I'm brand new to riding (have only been on a few real trail rides so far), so I purchased a Motobecane 300ht for less than $300. Now, because I am totally new to mtb, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on my first ride, but at the same time, I didn't want to buy a department store bike--I found the 300ht to be a nice entry level price and quality. I've consulted with a family friend who has been riding a long time and he said that the Motobecane is probably the best bike you can get for that money. Once I have more trial time under my belt, I can give a better detailed report, but so far I love it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Do not count on airbornes warranty or customer service. I recently had a crankset fold in half and it took 3 weeks and the threat of a chargeback just to get a response from them. I had the bike for a grand total of 4 days. After about another 2 weeks of going back and forth we settled on having them pay for shipping the bike back and refunding my money. I will never buy another airborne nor recommend one. Glad you're happy with your purchase, just be wary of the "warranty".

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    My dad just bought the motobecane 550 ht from bd with the hydraulic brakes and it came in today. Taking it out of the box...the rear tire was on backwards and it needed to be somewhat put together. The front wheel did not spin smoothly. Opened the hub up and there was a tiny bit of grease around the bearings. Not as much as there should have been. The rear cassette didn't appear to be high quality. The hydraulic dracos feel a lot better than my bb5's. My mom just bought a 2012 Diamondback Overdrive 29er from Amazon on sale. It will be interesting to compare the quality between the two when her's arrives.
    Sounds like most the issues with the Motobecane were component issues which would have nothing to do with the manufacturer of the bike. However if it was bought from Bikesdirect, they have always seemed good about taking care of issues.

As far as the DB Overdrive goes, I had one prior to my current bike which is a Marin Bolinas Ridge. The DB was complete junk. Returned it to REI and for $20 more got the Marin. Still an entry level bike but day and night difference. I love the Marin.

I hope your experience with the DB is a lot better than mine.

Paid $479 for my Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er on clearance reg $699.

Online shops will always have the best overall prices due to the low overhead.
    Not that I am opposed to buying online for a deal however sometimes there are a few headaches even from the best online sellers.
    I always recommend checking local first for this reason and also for the reason of keeping money in your community. This time of year, you may be able to find a good deal locally as local shops need to clear out last years inventory and less people are buying bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I got a scott for $100 NZD hard tail with terrible shocks
    if you get a hardtail with damage (minor) easy fix and update componentry
    (shocks gears etc) you could make a pretty awesome entry level bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Well I went to my local Wheel Sport, and they had a sale on the Fuji Nevada 1.9 29er, so I went ahead and picked it up.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a suspension upgrade?

Thanksm

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i was in the same position of you over the past few months. bikesdirect has several to choose from in your price range. i bought a gravity G29 SS from them recently and i cant say enough about their customer service. im on opposite end of the country from them and they had it to my door in four days. very pleased with BD and the quality of the bike i got for the money i spent! i checked CL everyday and never saw anything worth looking at.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakenbake158 View Post
    Well I went to my local Wheel Sport, and they had a sale on the Fuji Nevada 1.9 29er, so I went ahead and picked it up.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a suspension upgrade?

Thanksm
    The fork would be the first think I get rid off that bike.
    That Suntour XCT is nothing but a glorified pogo stick.

Budget minded I like the Rockshox Recon.
    Bang for the buck, the Rockshox Reba.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdogreno View Post
    i was in the same position of you over the past few months. bikesdirect has several to choose from in your price range. i bought a gravity G29 SS from them recently and i cant say enough about their customer service. im on opposite end of the country from them and they had it to my door in four days. very pleased with BD and the quality of the bike i got for the money i spent! i checked CL everyday and never saw anything worth looking at.
    Man, I have been eyeballing the G29 SS for a bit now but keep looking for something that even comes close in price locally and can't find it.

I just need to pull the trigger on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    What about for a 5'6" girl not looking to do much that's super technical but doesn't want something super janky, either? Under $300 would be even better.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCraft View Post
    What about for a 5'6" girl not looking to do much that's super technical but doesn't want something super janky, either? Under $300 would be even better.
    For under $300 and not super janky you will be better off buying used or buying online at some place like bikesdirrect.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2