1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

What modifications are needed to use a tapered fork?

I have a 2012 Specialized Rockhopper comp 29er. If I were to buy a fork that was tapered (really good price) what would I need to get it to work on my bike? Would this just require a new headset, adapter, or is it just not frame compatible?

Marzocchi Corsa Superleggera 29er Fork

Features:
    100mm travel
    TST Micro RC
    Micro Adjust Compression
    Rebound
    AER
    Air+ Neg. Spring
    29" Tire Clearance
    QR15 Thru Axle
    32mm Nickel Treatment Aluminum Tapered Stanchions
    Aluminum hollow crown

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If the headtube on the frame is not tapered then you can't use a tapered fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's a response to a similar question about a Trek with an internal 1-1/8" headset.

I am not sure exactly what head tube is on your bike, but it sounds like it is probably a 44mm ID headtube. (Bearings sit inside cups, and cups press in flush with head tube?) If that is the case, this is the headset you need to run a tapered steerer...

Top: ZS44/28.6 Bottom: EC44/40

Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Components :: Headsets Short Cover Top&btmName=EC44&btmProduct=110.EC44 Bottom

Call their tech support.

T.W.O.
    The only mod you can do on your bike if it does not have tapered headtube, is to change the steerer tube on the fork to 1.1/8".

duh
    I believe there are adaptors for that. Check with your local lbs or well

Tapered fork headset adaptor (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So buy the headset and I'm golden - sounds good. Still not sure what to do, however.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Good news! The guy who was selling the tires+fork said he messed up on description and said it was not tapered but 1-1/8". So that saves time and money! Think I should go for it and get the wheels + fork?

mtbr member
    Most bikes that have a zerostack headset can tape a tapered fork. I saw most because it ultimately depends how deep the reaming for the cups is in your head tube and whether the external cups can fit without bottoming out on the internal ledge.

Only issue now is that you have converted a zerostack headset to an external 1.5 cup on the bottom and added 10mm of stack height to your front end, slacking out your head and seat angles and slightly raising the BB.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What wheels/tires?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You should be good to go if it's a 1 1/8" fork. The 2012 Rockhopper Comp 29er doesn't have a tapered head tube.