1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

What Lube to Use on My Mountain Bike?

Hey guys, it's come time for my first cleaning and I'm wondering which lubrication to use on the chain, gears, etc. I have some Liquid Wrench Lithium Grease, but I'm not sure if it is as "bike friendly" as the lubes made especially for this kind of thing. Please post your recommendations.

Thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    Been using Dumonde Tech for over 5 years with fantastic results. No need to lube gears...only the chain. Also works well for cables and derailluer pivots.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Lube it often (is the first and most important thing)

Then get some bike specific lubes, they really are a bit different and work better.

There are wet,dry, lithium, teflon, waxes, etc.

Pick one that seems to represent (extra dry, wet) your conditions, when it is gone, try something that you think will help out with your challenges that you just learnt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    but is this liquid wrench stuff ok to use for now?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would keep it off the chain and fork, shock stanchions.
    I think it is a spray thing, so be careful on the seals, rubber stuff.

For the chain it will gum up pretty quick, i'd try motor oil before I went to a lithium grease.

So I wouldn't, but then I am 20 mins. to the LBS open on Sunday.

Actually I have some of that and use it on the garage door, car door hinges, exposed sliding, rotating parts.

...idios...
    Lithium grease doesn't really have an application for bicycle maintenance. It's too thick for chains but too thin for bearings, and it washes off/out way too easily. A reasonable trio of lubes would be Finish Line Dry Teflon for dry chain application and suspension stanchion/shock piston; Finish Line Wet for rainy chain application; and Pedro's Syn Grease for bearings/threads/joins (seatpin/frame). There are variations, of course, but these are the applications you need to consider the most often. I use Purple Extreme on my chain as it works well in wet and dry conditions (very important in the UK!), but keep the Finish Line Dry for suspension lube. Pedro's Syn, Rock n' Roll and also Phil Wood greases generally come highly recomended.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler