1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

What kind of shoes for platform pedals?

I have been using clipless pedals for a long time and I want to move to flatform as my riding style is changing. Is there something specific I should be looking for when picking out shoes?

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: What kind of shoes for platform pedals?

Flat bottom. Etnies, chucks, 410's etc... Look for something more bike friendly, but a flat sole helps to maximize your surface contact.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    thanks appreciate it

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Pin type and height have an impact. With short pins or fatter pins you can use trailrunners. With higher pins 5.10s have the bottom material that will hold up. Here's an example of thicker pins. Keep your heels low when you are on the pedals and a bump will drive your foot into the pedal not bounce it off.
    Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What kind of shoes for platform pedals?-wellgo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Vans

mtbr member

What kind of shoes for platform pedals?

If you're getting good flats with metal pins, nothing beats 5.10s for sticking your feet to the pedal. Teva makes couple bike shoes too. I went years just riding with skate shoes and was blown away when I finally tried 5.10s.

squish, squish in da fish
    for me i have used a pair of DC's & 5.10's on hope f20 pedals and can't tell a difference. they both stick good, but like mentioned before if you go with a taller pin then your average shoe will get ripped up in no time. bike specific shoes though usually have stiffer soles with special formations to hold the pedal, heel cups and toe boxes for protection. i just got the danny macaskill freeriders and they are real nice clark

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: What kind of shoes for platform pedals?

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    for me i have used a pair of DC's & 5.10's on hope f20 pedals and can't tell a difference. they both stick good, but like mentioned before if you go with a taller pin then your average shoe will get ripped up in no time. bike specific shoes though usually have stiffer soles with special formations to hold the pedal, heel cups and toe boxes for protection. i just got the danny macaskill freeriders and they are real nice clark
    I get jokes. Lol love that movie.

Picture Unrelated
    Buy good pedals first then think shoes. Good pedals will grip any flat soled shoe but a crap pedal won't grip even the best 5.10 rubber. I rode DC skate shoes for many years before moving to 5.10 impacts; the DCs worked fine but the 5.10s are a world of difference. Spend money on pedals, buy skate shoes, then when those wear out buy a cycling shoe like the 5.10s or the Teva Links.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?