mtbr member
    Jul 2008

What was I thinking!?!?!

Hmmm.... So I made an executive and compulsive decision on buying a bike for a surprise gift. I had a low budget of $300-$350 for an entry level bike for my girlfriend and I had two bikes that I had been looking at the Marin Bolinas Ridge and the Trek 3700 (see my other thread). I then decided I didn't like the price on Marin and didn't even check out the Trek.

I LEFT WITH A GT AVALANCHE 3.0!!!! I paid $310 for it and while I know GT is a decent brand, I can't help but wonder if I made a bad choice. Thankfully the bike shop has a Return Policy of 30 days provided it's still brand new. (This was more of a "SURPRISE, heres a bike" " OK now lets go and actually get a bike that fits. ) UGH.... Can anybody tell me if this bike is OK?

I FEEL SO UNSETTLED. I USUALLY DO DETAILED RESEARCH ON EVERYTHING!!!!!! GAHHHH!!! I wasn't even pressured by the salesman, He didn't say a word about buying it. Just let me ride around and answered my questions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That's not a terrible bike....but it's a very basic bike. I have a very comparable Haro and it's nice....but the fork is terrible! Your bike and my haro have the same fork. I also have a Trek 6000. I don't think I'll ever buy any other kind of bike. It's so nice. I think if I were you I'd return that GT and pick up the trek.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Horrible bike...it will explode after 200 miles leaving nothing but a few distorted memories...

Just Ride
    Jun 2008
    Not a bad bike for a beginner. My friend rode his for almost a year and it took some brutal punishment on the trails. Sure it needed some fixing but overall for a $300 bike it held up quite well.