1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

What was I thinking!?!?!

Hmmm.... So I made an executive and compulsive decision on buying a bike for a surprise gift. I had a low budget of $300-$350 for an entry level bike for my girlfriend and I had two bikes that I had been looking at the Marin Bolinas Ridge and the Trek 3700 (see my other thread). I then decided I didn't like the price on Marin and didn't even check out the Trek.

I LEFT WITH A GT AVALANCHE 3.0!!!! I paid $310 for it and while I know GT is a decent brand, I can't help but wonder if I made a bad choice. Thankfully the bike shop has a Return Policy of 30 days provided it's still brand new. (This was more of a "SURPRISE, heres a bike" " OK now lets go and actually get a bike that fits. ) UGH.... Can anybody tell me if this bike is OK?

I FEEL SO UNSETTLED. I USUALLY DO DETAILED RESEARCH ON EVERYTHING!!!!!! GAHHHH!!! I wasn't even pressured by the salesman, He didn't say a word about buying it. Just let me ride around and answered my questions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That's not a terrible bike....but it's a very basic bike. I have a very comparable Haro and it's nice....but the fork is terrible! Your bike and my haro have the same fork. I also have a Trek 6000. I don't think I'll ever buy any other kind of bike. It's so nice. I think if I were you I'd return that GT and pick up the trek.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Horrible bike...it will explode after 200 miles leaving nothing but a few distorted memories...

Just Ride
    Jun 2008
    Not a bad bike for a beginner. My friend rode his for almost a year and it took some brutal punishment on the trails. Sure it needed some fixing but overall for a $300 bike it held up quite well.