1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: What I learned

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

What I learned

Yesterday, I rode at a bike park with an 11-year old kid. This was his first dirt ride on a mountain bike, but he had ridden motorcross since he was like 6. I took him on a series of easy trails, which is about all that I really enjoy riding there. He was a natural and his one complaint was that twisting the grip did not make it go faster.

I learned a lot from him.

First, I learned that what I though was pretty fast on the straight sections, was not fast at all.

Second, I learned that what I thought was pretty fast through the turns, was not, either.

Third, I learned that the dip that has always given me trouble and worried me about OTB is no big deal. Just point the bike and let go of the brake; it knows what to do.

Fourth, I learned that the bump that I have always just rolled up and then back down, can be jumped.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    It's never too late to 'go to school,' even when the teacher is 11 years old. Sounds like you had a good time.

Once you get the suspension set correctly, jumping is fun. If it's not set up correctly, it can be a nightmare ;~)

Slower than you...

What I learned when I turned 45...

Is that I don't bounce like your garden-variety 11 year old.

I am comfortable with my limitations.
    Start slow, then taper off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tdhood View Post
    Is that I don't bounce like your garden-variety 11 year old.

I am comfortable with my limitations.
    Long ago I learned that I'm not as resilient as I once was. However, I did get a refresher on Saturday when I hit my shoulder on something.