1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What happened to bar ends???

I'm sure I could have searched and bumped an ancient thread back to life.....this may have pissed some folks off. The fact I am starting a thread about bar-ends may also piss some folks off, but I am retarded and want to talk about bar ends.

Where the hell did they go? When I raced sport/expert in the early nineties, everyone had them. Flat bars to boot. Now that I have started riding singletrack again, I am literally the ONLY old head out there with them, and get some curious looks from the young guys.

In my opinion they offer infinite hand positions to eliminate fatigue during long spins or grinds, can position your weight way out over the front wheel when it gets light, and can seriously open up your chest for better cardio. Why does no one use them anymore?

Former Bike Wrench
    Well the popularity of Riser bars which are wider and have more sweep than the old school flat bars is the main culprit to the demise of bar ends. But don't worry, there are plenty of users out there still.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    They aren't cool.

mtbr member
    OK let's see, we're gonna hear the cons
    get caught on trees
    not cool
    Not needed because...
    more modern bike geo has put rider more upright
    riser bars
    wider bars
    and of coarse the "do a search it's been talked about a million times"

The pros
    good for climbing
    good when out of saddle
    good for comfort and different hand positions
    better breathing

Did I miss any?
    Can say that I agree with them all except that they're not cool. Couldn't care less if someone thinks they're not cool. I still have a nice big almost 90 deg bend ends on 1 of my ht's. Covered with some nice thick, grippy bar tape to add a bit of diameter, comfort, and grip, especialy when I'm sweaty. Althou I don't use that bike much anymore, I'll sometimes take it on epic rides just because of the bar ends. If you're catching trees, don't think you should/can blame the bar ends......so I say, if you like em, use em.
    Oh, and welcome to the site
    Last edited by theMeat; 07-27-2011 at 10:46 PM.
    Round and round we go

Fat-tired Roadie
    They showed up on Wal-mart bikes. Homeless alcoholics point them straight upwards to have a more upright riding position.

I have a set on my bike. Pointed mostly forward, thank you. And they're still on a lot of pro bikes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've been eyeing these for awhile:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Bar+Ends.aspx

A lot of the benefits you talk about but are much more low-key(visually and physically). I imagine they would glide well when I clip that occasional tree.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    They showed up on Wal-mart bikes. Homeless alcoholics point them straight upwards to have a more upright riding position.
    hahaha +1for the homeless alchoholics

thats going in the sig
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How about the Ergon grips with the nice ergo palm rest and the integrated bar ends? Seems to me they are a relatively new thing and I have read very nice reviews of them. They will be one of the next (first) mods on my Diamondback, "cool" or not!
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just bought some for my hardtail 29er. Since that's the bike I take on long distance rides, I wanted more hand positions.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by USATorque55 View Post
    I've been eyeing these for awhile:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Bar+Ends.aspx

A lot of the benefits you talk about but are much more low-key(visually and physically). I imagine they would glide well when I clip that occasional tree.
    Check these out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Agree that the "pointed up ones" are very ghey looking, and have done a disservice to proper bar end use, but getting hooked on trees? Mine are so long and curved they actually serve as a knuckle guard and aid in allowing the bars to careen off of trees smoothly, not get "hooked" on them.

Thanks for the responses, and for the welcome, too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am eyeing the Ergon GC3, which have the longer bar ends (as opposed to the GC2 with very small ends) and they curve in nicely so I don't think hitting trees would be a huge problem, could be wrong though.

TheMeat, what model are those grips you posted? They look like they might be interesting but the picture is a little hard to tell.
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    How about the Ergon grips with the nice ergo palm rest and the integrated bar ends? Seems to me they are a relatively new thing and I have read very nice reviews of them. They will be one of the next (first) mods on my Diamondback, "cool" or not!
    Gotta say I tried the big ergo grips and hated them. Tried every possible angle and could not get to like em. My hand are big and I just didn't feel a good grip on the rough stuff because of the shape. They seemed like a great idea but because of the lack of feel for a grip I was holding too tight which led to arm pump all the time, or leaning too hard which caused wrist discomfort. I tried for a month or so and in the end they came off. Some while later there was a guy on here fro Ergon, who recommended smaller style grips for off road. Like the GA1 and I'd have to agree.
    FWIW, I haven't tried the GA1 but I have ODI lock on Rogue, and Oury and love em both.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by theMeat; 07-27-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Um not sure which one you're talking about but the bar ends are Cane Creek, and the later posted grips are Ergon's GA1
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Gotta say I tried the big ergo grips and hated them. Tried every possible angle and could not get to like em. My hand are big and I just didn't feel a good grip on the rough stuff because of the shape. They seemed like a great idea but because of the lack of feel for a grip I was holding too tight which led to arm pump all the time. I tried for a month or so and in the end they came off. Some while later there was a guy from Ergon on here, who recommended smaller style grips for of road. Like the GA1 and I'd have to agree.
    FWIW, I haven't tried the GA1 but I have ODI lock on Rogue, and Oury and love em both.
    Will definitely take this under advisement, thanks. The GC3s do come in 2 sizes, I would assume since you said you have large hands you tried the large grips? Wonder if maybe the small size would be better. I rode dirt bikes for years and arm pump is not really something I had problems with, but I am considerably older and in worse shape now so it certainly could be a problem now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Um not sure which one you're talking about but the bar ends are Cane Creek, and the later posted grips are Ergon's GA1
    Yeah thanks, it was the Cane Creeks I was asking about and a simple google search was all I needed to find em. They look interesting but I am not sure if I would like ones like that which go forward and back of the bar or the Ergon style that are all out in front of the bars.

mtbr member
    I too road dirt bikes and arm pump wasn't an issue for me either. Not trying to brag but I'm in pretty good shape and was when I tried them also so don't think that was an issue either
    Yes my hands are large, and yes I tried the large. The smaller ones may be better but again, it doesn't get much better than ODI lock on and if the Ergon guy said GA1 for off road? Don't think it was the size of that flap ergo thingy, but just the ergo thingy shape. At least for me.
    Round and round we go

dirtbag
    I put a set on my recent SS build. Used a flat bar and wanted the extra hand positions a bar end offers. Mine are slightly angled up from horizontal, not upright like an Atari joystick.

I say if you wanna use em go ahead. Who cares what people think.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I too road dirt bikes and arm pump wasn't an issue for me either. Not trying to brag but I'm in pretty good shape and was when I tried them also so don't think that was an issue either
    Yes my hands are large, and yes I tried the large. The smaller ones may be better but again, it doesn't get much better than ODI lock on and if the Ergon guy said GA1 for off road? Don't think it was the size of that flap ergo thingy, but just the ergo thingy shape. At least for me.
    You are probably right about the shape being the problem. I have heard good things about the ergo grips but am not really sure, I completley believe what your saying. The big size could certainly lead to a death grip on the bars, which definitely contributes to arm pump. The moere I think about it the more I think I will not be trying them, the price is too high for an experiment for me. I guess a nice set of lock ons might be the ticket, and the ODIs look pretty nice.

Just a tad curious what the Ergon guy said the ergo grips are for though. They advertize them as MTB grips, they had a big banner add for them here on MTBR a while ago, and they def aren't road grips, so what kind of riding would he recommend them for? I know sometimes an honest rep will tell you the advertising is wrong, sounds like a case of that here.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010

I have a set on my bike. Pointed mostly forward, thank you. And they're still on a lot of pro bikes.
    I legit lol'ed at that one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I got a Control Tech Stumpy on the way. It's going on a project bike I find that when I'm just cruising that I hold the handlebar by its ends so these bar-ends should give me a more comfortable hand position and better grip.

mtbr member
    You are probably right about the shape being the problem. I have heard good things about the ergo grips but am not really sure, I completley believe what your saying. The big size could certainly lead to a death grip on the bars, which definitely contributes to arm pump. The moere I think about it the more I think I will not be trying them, the price is too high for an experiment for me. I guess a nice set of lock ons might be the ticket, and the ODIs look pretty nice.

Just a tad curious what the Ergon guy said the ergo grips are for though. They advertize them as MTB grips, they had a big banner add for them here on MTBR a while ago, and they def aren't road grips, so what kind of riding would he recommend them for? I know sometimes an honest rep will tell you the advertising is wrong, sounds like a case of that here.
    Seems like some do like em. I found them ok, not great, for smooth stuff but not good for rough. Since I only bought them because they looked like a cool new design that would be an improvement, and not because I was having any issues, and since they gave me issues instead....
    Last edited by theMeat; 07-28-2011 at 09:35 AM.
    Round and round we go

InCharaWeTrust
    I'm going to get some for my 29'er.....but I'm a nub so I don't have to worry about being .

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I put a set of Ergon GX2 grips on my new bike and I have to admit I actually chose them partially because of the bar ends. Been out of riding for 5 years but even back then I always liked having the ability to switch hand positions.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Why does no one use them anymore?
    They can add a little extra danger in racing situations and are against the rules in some sanctioning bodies.

I can personally attest to the fact they are not the best for racing/passing situations. When making a safe pass on a wide part of the course in a short track race recently, my bar end hooked the chain bracelet on the wrist of another racer. We both went down hard. Me: broken thumb in 2 places, cracked helmet, chipped left elbow. Him: bruised and scuffed pretty badly. If I had removed the bar ends before the race as I usually have in the past, chances are good we would not have crashed as we would have made only light contact. The bar end made light and manageable contact into a pretty serious situation. Never will they be on my bikes for another race. Trails, yes, love 'em.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast