1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: What is a GURU

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

What is a GURU

I went to my LBS a few months ago and they suggested the Giant Talon 29er and I was pleased with the suggestion. Now they have a GURU bike fitting contraption that they are trying to get everyone to try out. The prices for a fitting are $199 (basic fitting) and $299 (custom fitting)....that kind of turned me off from that spot because only $100 goes toward the purchase of a new bike and I am not independently wealthy.

My question is, has anyone ever heard of this GURU system and is it worth it. IMHO, I always thought the best way to choose was jumping on a bike and ride.....or am I showing my age????

mtbr member
    Everything I've read about it seems to be geared more towards road/triathlon riders who are after the perfect fit for competition type riding. It does seem to be a bit overkill for your application, and given the spec level for a Talon, I'd almost go as far as to say they are trying to get you to pay for something you don't need.
    Read more about it here - Bike Fitting: Dorel - and decide if you think it's worth it. I don't, not for the amount they want to charge you.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

Unpredictable
    If your bike store does not at least get you on your new bike and adjust it to fit on the spot, then why would you buy there? Any bike shop owner and staff should be able to get it right purely with you measurements, let alone when you have to ride it out the door. In addition, with a new bike, how could you know if that $299 fit was going to be right in 1 month? If you want a frame and bits, buy online, but any LBS should set your bike up.

No Stranger to danger....
    199 OR $299 is a disgraceful price for a fitting no matter how they try and make it out, i think thats an insult and i would walk out and not use that shop again, might sound harsh, but i think they are trying to get money out of you and treating you as the fool.
    I am very much against this sort of crap for somebody that just wants a bike and i actually think its nothing less than a scam for that price.
    If it was $50 fair enough, but for $200 or $300 thats nothing less than a piss take on the customer, out of morals i wouldnt shop at a shop like that..
    cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

No Stranger to danger....
    And not to mention you are looking at a bike with the RRP of only $1099, so they want to charge you 20% of the price of the bike on a fit that most shops are happy to help you with for nothing if your serious about using a bike.
    Sound like they are scammers, and taking their customers for fools, id avoid the shop or learn how to fit yourself for a bike, its not hard at all..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Getting a Retul fit done in this area is right around $150 or so, so it's not entirely unreasonable. Often times those very expensive services can take a few hours to do, and sometimes include the cost of the components/services they will need to do (stem/spacers/cutting the steer tube/different seatpost).

That said, it's not a complete waste of money, but it might be better spent clothing, a saddle, helmet, etc.

What is a GURU

The shop where I just got a pt job does high end fits like that. The $250 fit is guaranteed for as long as you own the bike and all adjustments are free if anything changes like the saddle, pedals, you get an injury, you get older, fatter, and less flexible, etc.

We don't even recommend the high end fittings for mtb, though. You move too much on a mtb for that to be worth it. It is for the road and tri people.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: What is a GURU

If I'm spending ~$700 on a MTB, I'm not going to drop $200 to make sure it's the right fit. Especially because I'm buying the bike for recreational use. Plus, for just the cost of the bike I'm getting free life time tuneups and basic maintenance.
    Now if I was going into competitive cycling, I might give it a second look...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    We don't even recommend the high end fittings for mtb, though. You move too much on a mtb for that to be worth it. It is for the road and tri people.
    I agree. I never worried about fit on the mtn bike as you move around a lot and position impact balance and traction front/rear. You can't really get that perfect in a shop.

For road bike fit is key as comes down comfort and power. A bad fit on road bike will mean that it hurts to ride the bike and that is no fun. Plus there is balance between comfort and power output and aero drag. When you looking at stuff like that a good fit can make a big difference. I have never been fitted for my road bike, but I have spent a lot more time dialing in the fit.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    It costs so much cause they have to remove your bones and meashure them.

Rogue Exterminator
    $200-$300 buys a lot of beer.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    $200-$300 buys a lot of beer.
    I was thinking more like Southern Comfort.....LOL!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006

What is a GURU

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    The shop where I just got a pt job does high end fits like that. The $250 fit is guaranteed for as long as you own the bike and all adjustments are free if anything changes like the saddle, pedals, you get an injury, you get older, fatter, and less flexible, etc.

This!
    After a couple years of riding I invested in one of these fits with my road bike and it was an excellent investment if your on your bike for lots of hours (and are getting older, fatter and less flexible). And by bike I mean road bike. Mountain bike fits are much less complex and less precise. as Nate mentions you move around lots on the mountain bike.