1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

What a good budget bike from your experience?

Hey! Sorry for all the post, but i was wondering what your favorite bikes and recomendations are. My budget is about 1000. I know its small but i need a bike. What has worked for you guys. What hasnt?
    Thanks so much!

Fat-tired Roadie
    My best sub-$1000 bikes have been used. The very best is one I bought from a friend. I did relatively okay and quite well on two from Craig's List.

With used bikes, you still get what you pay for. The more recent bikes were both a bit more expensive - $450 and $350, give or take, and have mostly done well. The $450 bike is geared, and one of the shifters (SRAM road) took a dump a while ago, so that was a bummer.

I also have two bikes I bought for under $1000 retail. To their credit, both have solid enough frames. Both had several crappy parts that didn't last the first season. I even tried to warranty the headset on one, but racing voids that. :-P I actually don't think the companies are trying to screw anyone. They're trying to provide what customers want, for each pricepoint. It's that the bike industry produces relatively low quantities and too much diversity of equipment, so things are expensive.

The "from a friend" bike, I found by whining on Facebook. As with all life, networking can get you a lot. The CL bike took me a few weeks to find. I set up a saved search and waited.
    IME, road bikes get good at a lower pricepoint. Friends of mine have done well with $600 on the secondary market.

Hope that helps.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Like Andrew above, I have found all my deals on CL. There are apps that you can create criteria and it will send you a notification when that criteria is met. That is how you be the first to contact for the best deals.

I have not spent more than $700 on any of my bikes (yet). Normally I have bought the bikes at a great deal, and sold them for more than I bought them for and upgraded. Being patient and knowing what to look for is key.
    Noob Guide to Buying a used MTB

mtbr member
    If you want the new bike smell look for the better specd bike on your price range, for under 1k the Giant Talon is a great bike but there are others close to it. You'll usually get ok drivetrain parts, maybe hydro brakes but most of them will have a crappy fork that you'll eventually want to upgrade. Take that into consideration because good forks aren't cheap.

If buying used the previous posts are spot on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    definitely used. For $1k you can get a pretty decent bike that is about 5 years old with way higher level and more reliable components than a new $1k bike would have.
    2013 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish Elite XXL/23"
    120mm 29er

2004 Santa Cruz Bullitt XL White
    170mm 26er

mtbr member

Re: What a good budget bike from your experience?

What size? I have a pretty nice medium Superlight I am looking to sell for around 1K.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm awaiting delivery of my Airborne Goblin. Great components and a value that can't be beat for $1100.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Genius
    Well, What/where do you intend on riding? Are you in the Rocky mountains or in the flats? $1000 can be plenty or simply not enough. It all depends on what your intentions are.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thats the thing i would love to do some technical stuff, and some normal riding on trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    Well, What/where do you intend on riding? Are you in the Rocky mountains or in the flats? $1000 can be plenty or simply not enough. It all depends on what your intentions are.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Unless your trails are multi-use paths, "normal" still takes a decent bike. And unless your "technical" is trials, the same bike can do that fine too.

Anyway, I think any decent XC or trail bike is a fine starting point. For many of us, it's a fine ending point too. While I can see having something else if I did lift-served or dirt jumping, I'm very content just having XC mountain bikes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx