1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: What to get...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

What to get...

First of all please keep in mind I am just asking for opinions I am not affiliated with any online bike company at all I am just a NOOB! Ok so here is my delema. I am ready to buy my first MTB and am so torn on what to get. I am trying to stay under $800 so LBS is out. I am looking at BAMF, Airbourne and BD. I am also torn about a 29er or a 26 FS. The trails by me are pretty rugged and there is a skills park that has multiple trails for jumps, drops etc. I want a bike that will be able to do a little of everything and take a licking and keep ticking. I am 6ft 240 (I am also looking to get back in shape). I want to get out there and have a blast!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No one has anything to add/suggest come on!!!

MilitaryBrat
    Aug 2012
    I wish I could, I'm a huge noob too. I wish you luck though! I'm learning about all of this myself My used bike is in the shop, waiting rather impatiently for it to be ready next week so I can start whipping myself back into shape!

mtbr member
    Well I went with the BD route but my budget was smaller and I ordered a Moto 450HT -it just hasn't arrived, what I've learned through this forum is that is better to get a higher end HT than lower end FS, depending on what you are planning to ride, if you want FS your budget might need expansion I didn't go the craigslist route because I'm no expert on bikes so I'll be learning mechanics as I go. I'm having a buddy help me put it together so I can learn instead of taking it to my LBS (which I will for final adjustment/tune up) Once I get my bike I can give you better feedback. Hang in there the experts will ptich in eventually

nOOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyduckdavis View Post
    First of all please keep in mind I am just asking for opinions I am not affiliated with any online bike company at all I am just a NOOB! Ok so here is my delema. I am ready to buy my first MTB and am so torn on what to get. I am trying to stay under $800 so LBS is out. I am looking at BAMF, Airbourne and BD. I am also torn about a 29er or a 26 FS. The trails by me are pretty rugged and there is a skills park that has multiple trails for jumps, drops etc. I want a bike that will be able to do a little of everything and take a licking and keep ticking. I am 6ft 240 (I am also looking to get back in shape). I want to get out there and have a blast!
    Well since you've said LBS are out and on a budget of $800. If I was you at that price point I would stay away from a FS until you get a little ride time. I would say your best options are Airbourne - Sabre or Skyhawk for 26ers. And the Guardian for a 29er. BD has a ton of great bikes for under $800. 26ers and 29ers. Perfromance bikes/ Nasbar has a good range of bikes also. Good luck and I hope you enjoy whatever you decide on.
    '09 Cannondale F7
    '00 Specialized Hardrock Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    800$ at a bike shop would get you a decent hardtail to start with. The 2013 models are starting to come out ,discounts on the left over 2012's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You need a fork with rebound dampening adjustment and your weight works best with an air fork to set the sag. A Reba like on the new Goblin would be a good choice. A deal on a Scott Scale Elite(3012) below 1300 would be a great find. Avoid anything with a Suntour X series fork"punishing offroad".

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jlallak View Post
    Well since you've said LBS are out and on a budget of $800. If I was you at that price point I would stay away from a FS until you get a little ride time. I would say your best options are Airbourne - Sabre or Skyhawk for 26ers. And the Guardian for a 29er. BD has a ton of great bikes for under $800. 26ers and 29ers. Perfromance bikes/ Nasbar has a good range of bikes also. Good luck and I hope you enjoy whatever you decide on.
    What about the Zepplin Elite from Airbourne?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well, I am a newb too so this is one newb to another, but I bought a 2012 Trek Marlin and I like it alot. It does everything I want it to do, and I feel it is a good bike for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks Acon glad you are enjoying your trek!

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    My advice would be to wait at least four months, while adding to your bike funds. $50/mn = $200 extra dollars. $1,000 in pocket four months from now puts you in the position to walk out of a shop with a new 2012 bike that currently is selling for $1,500-$1,800. I speak from actual experience.

Some online dealers are respectable. Some not so much. Whichever route you take, proper fitment will determine how much enjoyment you get out of riding.

At 6' tall, I would not rule out 26" hardtails. Forget about full suspension at your pricepoint.Not only is the quality of suspension components bottom level, but product managers are forced to spec low level wheels, brakes & drivetrain to hit their pricepoint.

I ride both a 5" HT & a 6"X6" FS. My DH rig collects dust.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    DirtyDuck.. Im in the same position you are. Im fairly new to the MTB scene but have ridden recreationally all my life. At 31 yrs old, 6' and 270 im looking at alot of the same bikes you are. Keep us informed as to what you decide. I have heard alot of people saying to wait even a few weeks for the '13 stuff to come out cuz the '12's will be cheap

mtbr member
    Save up $200 more for the Goblin. 2x10 and reba.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    BD had a $800 26 inch rebate equipped Gravity. I would wait to see if they introduce another gravity rebate equipped bike.

Or go used. U prob can get a fox full suspect on that budget. If u want new. Def recommend hardtail

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

I like bikes.
    BD online ordering is prob your best bet. As far as choosing between 26 and 29. You'd better go test one out before you buy. For me, the 29er was a no brainer. Fit me much better . I'm 6'3" and 190lbs and chose a Large. Fits perfect.
    The 26 feels like a bmx bike to me now, but if I wanted something to really pound on and DH race with...I'd go back to a 26.
    The 29 is very easy on the trails. My friends have a hard time keeping up with me. Technical lots of tight turn trails, I slow down due to the lengthened wheelbase.
    29er forks are a bit more expensive, wheels seems to be similarly priced.

I too would get a hardtail, you'll get more bang for your buck. You really ned to find a 29er to ride to make sure it's for you. The wheels will hold up your weight so as long as they are descent. You can get a set of Mavic TN719's brand new for $220shipped online if you ever had any issue's. Super solid wheelset. Just remember, almost all wheels these days are double wall constucted so they are much durable than the oldschool standard equip bike wheels were.

Good luck and be sure to post up pics of what you got!
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.