1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

What exactly are "lock-on" grips?

For example: http://lizardskins.com/products/view...&page_number=1

What's the difference between these lock-on grips and regular slip-on ones? Would I need a specific handle bar to install the lock-on ones?

Double-metric mtb man
    The difference is in how they are secured...the handlebar is the same.

Slip-ons require friction to hold them in place...making them harder to get on and off (hence hairspray and other such methods being suggested for getting them on)..but they can also slide off if things go wrong (which is why some riders wire them on as well).

Lock-ons use two bolts to tighten a pair of rings (one at the inboard end, one outboard), which basically clamp the grip to the bar in the same fashion that the stem holds the handlebar.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

semantic blockage
    Yeah - what Mike said,

I've had good luck w/ these - the collars are aluminum, so they're easily stripped by the screw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    how do yall think these will look (white grips with red clamps) on my rockhopper (red/white color scheme -- added a white avatar gel saddle as well)

too much white?

mtbr member
    I just mounted my first pair of lock on's today, they are FAR superior than the old slip on grips. It's going to make working on the bars WAY easier! They look pretty nice also and mine are a larger diameter as well and are way more comfortable than my old skinny ones.
    I will never buy a slip on grip again. A.H

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have done slip ons and lock ons, lock ons are nice in case you do want to remove handle bars, brakes, or shifters, for whatever reason. That said, my favorite grips are still the old Salsa Juegos, they are very sticky, slightly bulged in the middle, cheap, and most importantly seem to be the least painful to my hands. Oh, and guess what, they come in both slip on and now lock on's as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oliveryou
    how do yall think these will look (white grips with red clamps) on my rockhopper (red/white color scheme -- added a white avatar gel saddle as well)

too much white?

i have the white peaty grips on my DH rig, there sick, super grippy ,well worth it. plus they look sick