1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

What else should a first time rider buy?

I am hopefully going to buy my first mountain/trail bike within the next few weeks. What else would you recommend outside of just the bike itself? I am looking into:

Better pedals
    Helmet
    Possibly a small saddle bag to keep my phone, wallet and keys in
    Gloves (are they necessary?)
    A more comfortable seat (possibly)
    DC Skate shoes (are these worth it upfront or am I better off to wait? I only have running shoes right now)

Am I missing anything or anything on here I don't need? I don't want to be that person that overloads on crap I don't need but I also want to be prepared.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Better pedals - wellgo mg1, best value pedals, strong, light, durable sealed bearings. $35-40 on ebay
    Helmet - buy what fits you best. For me the giro universal fits were the best.

Possibly a small saddle bag to keep my phone, wallet and keys in - when shopping for a saddle bag, stuff it with items you intend to to make sure it fits.

Gloves (are they necessary?) - mechanix gloves at homedepot fit me best and work well. also much cheaper than lbs gloves. home depot has better variety of gloves, so you most likely get better fit.

A more comfortable seat (possibly) - saddle fit is important. but give your existing saddle some time. you need to play with all your bike adjustment settings before you develop a preference in fits. When you're new, you don't have the experience to do this. Just ride more. you need to play with tilt, for and aft, as well as saddle height.

DC Skate shoes (are these worth it upfront or am I better off to wait? I only have running shoes right now) - just continue with your running shoes for now imho. at least until you get a better sense of what you like.

mtbr member
    Spare tubes, tire levers, floor pump, portable pump, chain lube, helmet, and hydration (bottle and cages). Some type of frame or seat bag to carry flat repair kit (spare tube, portable pump, patches). Its the accessories that nickel and dime you to death. I would rock the stock pedals and tennis shoes if your bike has them until your finances recover from the essential purchases.

mtbr member
    Personally I skipped the saddle bag and went straight to a hydration pack with several pouches. For a few reasons, I can carry a lot more if I'm planning a more remote ride (survival kit, first aid kit, food, spare parts, tools, etc), I can carry more water (3 liters) and lastly it adds a level of spine impact protection. For $35, it's a worthwhile upgrade.

I would also recommend picking up a cheap pair of skate shoes (don't have to go DC) just so you have more pedal contact, my old Vans work great.

Helmet, I went with the Giro Feature and I absolutely love it, fits perfect and doesn't look nearly as dorky as many of the offerings out there.

The gloves you get don't really matter, I picked up some from my LBS because they had gel filled palm pads and made of a breathable material. Fairly cheap, less than $20. Regular mechanics gloves are just fine or you can go without if you don't mind a little road rash. Quick tip, NEVER use your hands to break your fall unless your about to smash your face. You will break your wrist or your arm easily. Learn to tuck and roll, wear some basic pads if you foresee some gnarly downhills in your future.

mtbr member
    I wear a camel pack to drink out of and to hold my wallet, phone, and keys etc. Also I wear a pear of vans skate shoes when I ride for a lack of anything else and I don't have clipless pedals. Also plastic pedals suck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What else should a first time rider buy?

Agree on the camelbak, it does double duty for hydration and storage. Get a saddle bag later on if you still think you need it. There's a sticky on this forum with countless suggestions on what to pack. Read the first few pages and see what makes sense for you (the thread gets a bit ridiculous toward the end, so don't waste your time). Learn some basic maintenance so you can change a tube, fix the chain or do some basic adjustments on the trail. Lots if good resources in the stickies.

Don't overthink it if you're not going for huge rides. Focus on safety and basic repair items and just have fun on your new ride. Ride for a while and figure out what feels 'limiting' to you (pedals, shoes, seat, whatever), and change those out as you need.

BTW, gloves are good - full gloves and not the ones that leave your fingers exposed. If you bail, your hands will hit the ground one way or another. If you're in the rough stuff, you'll want gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannas View Post
    I am hopefully going to buy my first mountain/trail bike within the next few weeks. What else would you recommend outside of just the bike itself? I am looking into:

Better pedals
    Helmet
    Possibly a small saddle bag to keep my phone, wallet and keys in
    Gloves (are they necessary?)
    A more comfortable seat (possibly)
    DC Skate shoes (are these worth it upfront or am I better off to wait? I only have running shoes right now)

Am I missing anything or anything on here I don't need? I don't want to be that person that overloads on crap I don't need but I also want to be prepared.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2