1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

What does I.C.E. mean, in relation to Suntour?

I see ads for their forks mentioning it. Suntour mentions it on their website in regards to shifters. But they don't tell you what it is.

Can anyone help me out on this one?

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Innovated Competitive Edge?
    Integrated Component Engineering?
    It Could Explode?

Quick word search through their catalog doesn't give an explanation either, although it gets a lot of results. Odd.

Fat-tired Roadie
    In Case of Emergency
    I Can't Engineer
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Integrated Control Equipment

It referred to specific remote lock-outs that we used in 2004-2006. The term has stuck around and basically suggest a fork has a intergrated lock-out.

Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    Integrated Control Equipment

It referred to specific remote lock-outs that we used in 2004-2006. The term has stuck around and basically suggest a fork has a intergrated lock-out.

Nick
    Okay, kind of makes sense. But putting that label on shifters seems kind of odd. Unless it locks out the derailleur, turning the bike into a SS.

Thanks to Andrew and Zuarte for the laughs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer View Post
    Okay, kind of makes sense. But putting that label on shifters seems kind of odd. Unless it locks out the derailleur, turning the bike into a SS.
    I think the remote lockouts that Nick is talking about were able to integrate with the shifters. Maybe kind of like the Sram matchmaker setup where you can have your shifters/brake levers share a mount? *Shimano also has integrated shifter/mechanical brake levers but you have to replace the entire unit as one component, you can't replace just the shifter for instance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_K View Post
    I think the remote lockouts that Nick is talking about were able to integrate with the shifters. Maybe kind of like the Sram matchmaker setup where you can have your shifters/brake levers share a mount? *Shimano also has integrated shifter/mechanical brake levers but you have to replace the entire unit as one component, you can't replace just the shifter for instance.
    Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.