mtbr member

We the people ... What do you guys use for security while leaving your bike?

I just use a simple cable one with a lock. What kind of lock do you secure your bike with?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    in truth I simply don't leave the bike, but do fear that day when I MUST avail myself of the nearest porta-potty "for a sit down" and have to hope and pray. I do think that if riding trails, MUP and the like, I suspect that some simple lock will be okay. My thoughts are that other folks using the environment are in all likelihood actively exercising and not necessarily on the prowl for opportunistic occasions for larceny, I would have high concerns either way if I had to lock up in the city or 'burb civilian scene.

DynoDon
    there is no good, safe lock, keep it out of sight, buy a beater, or walk, don't chance a good bike to a lock.
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker View Post
    there is no good, safe lock, keep it out of sight, buy a beater, or walk, don't chance a good bike to a lock.
    I'm not going to live my life in constant fear. Someone can break in/steal my car, that's not going to stop me from owning/enjoying driving a car.

Same with a bike. I have insurance. If it happens, it happens. I will take reasonable precautions, but if I'm riding my bike downtown and feel like popping in my local bar for a pint and some good conversation, I'm going to lock it up in as safe of a place as possible, and maybe take a look at it every so often.

That's just me... I've had two bikes stolen in my life, in both situations I was younger and dumber and didn't take the reasonable precautions I should have. But that's not going to stop me from locking up my bike occasionally now.

mtbr member
    the only lock i would trust for more than five minutes if my Kryptonite u-lock. if you use a cable of any sort on your bike, don't come crying on here when it gets stolen.

this guy will steal your bike in less than ten seconds if you have a flimsy cable lock:

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    There's too many bicycle thefts to even consider leaving the bike out of my sight. So it's either with me, inside the house (not the garage) or inside the car under the supervision of the corner of my eye.

EDR
    Kryptonite New York Forgetaboutit 13mm hex chain with lock. This attached to a 14mm D-Ring that I drilled into and set in my truck bed. The threads below the bed are covered in JBWeld so it's never coming out. I still feel nervous leaving my bike in my truck

Nickel Havr
    I use one of these... It works well but I'm thinking of getting a longer cable.

Walmart.com: On Guard OG Series Mini U-Lock with Additional Security Cable, 5510: Bikes & Riding Toys
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I hooked up the power supply unit from an electric cattle prod to my frame. Would be thieves are in for a shock.

Speaking seriously, the only bike I'll ever leave unattended is my beater bike which is pretty run down and dirty looking. I still lock it to a solid metal object with a sturdy u-lock when I need to park it somewhere.

born to chill
    To break any U-lock lock, thieves can simply insert a car bottle jack in there and start cranking. If a 12 ton $20 jack doesn't do it, a 20 ton can be obtained for $60. If they want your stuff, they are going to get it.

I don't really leave my bikes unattended, if someplace where I want to go inside or whatever and I lock it up with a cable lock, I've got my eye on it most of the time anyway.
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

29 and Single
    Oct 2009
    When my bike isn't in my house I put a Chevy Suburban around it.
    Some days you eat the bar, some days the bar eats you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DParks View Post
    When my bike isn't in my house I put a Chevy Suburban around it.
    Do you ever ride it?

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    this guy will steal your bike in less than ten seconds if you have a flimsy cable lock:
    If that was my complex... That guy would meet this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

29 and Single
    Oct 2009
    Correction, when my bike isn't in my house, OR UNDER MY ASS, I put my Suburban around it.

Smartass.
    Some days you eat the bar, some days the bar eats you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flowmaster View Post
    To break any U-lock lock, thieves can simply insert a car bottle jack in there and start cranking. If a 12 ton $20 jack doesn't do it, a 20 ton can be obtained for $60. If they want your stuff, they are going to get it.

I don't really leave my bikes unattended, if someplace where I want to go inside or whatever and I lock it up with a cable lock, I've got my eye on it most of the time anyway.
    Yep. If a bike thief wants your bike, he'll get it. There is no 100% safe bike lock.

I never leave my bike unattended. I even get paranoid when my bike is locked on my car.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    No matter how good your lock is, it will just delay a bike thief. Any lock will prevent a homeless guy from pinching your bike. But a dedicated bike thief, bike is gone! Sometimes it is 20 seconds, sometimes it is 3 minutes, but your bike is GONE!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DParks View Post
    Correction, when my bike isn't in my house, OR UNDER MY ASS, I put my Suburban around it.

Smartass.
    C'mon man, just havin' some fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for your sharing.

mtbr member
    noob here <----- Are those kryptonite locks pretty good?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by llb_dll View Post
    Every system, lock, chain can be defeated. The 13mm hex chain makes it very difficult for bolt cutters to get a "bite" on the chain. The lock is large and heavy duty but any lock can be defeated by a knowledgeable thief.

The advantage to my set up at least, is that I've all but eliminated the chance of theft by an opportunist passing by. Someone with lock picking skills or power tools is going to have to break my chain. If that's what they want to do then there is not much I can do about it other than never leave my bike unattended.

The idea is to make my bike as difficult to steal as I reasonably can. I'll tell you what, when I have my big-ass chain on my bike hooked to my D-ring, and my buddies bikes are in the back held together with a cable lock, who's bike do you think will be the first target?

mtbr member
    ^^ Yeah, it's just like with cars. I remember back in the early 2000's, Honda's were so sought after and I had my 2000 Honda Civic stolen. I had to provide layers upon layers of security and it still got stolen. Now, after reading the above, I have to look at my bike(s) the same way in regards to security. Fortunately, I only ride bikes to trails, on trails, and on my way home. I've never been the type to take my bike to a store and leave it there chained up. In Portland, bikes are hot a commodity to thieves so extra precautions must be taken for thieves.

EDR
    Fortunately, I only ride bikes to trails, on trails, and on my way home. I've never been the type to take my bike to a store and leave it there chained up
    I would never every take my mountain bike to a store and chain it up either, I have way too much money and time invested in it. My concern for security of my bike comes during road trips...and in my garage. It's locked up there as well in hopes that a would-be thief will not take the time to break the lock/chain and just take the easy stuff.

Go to youtube and search "breaking into garage". Takes about 3 to 5 seconds to break into almost any garage with a door opener. To that point, I have removed the rope from my garage door latch and zip tied the latch in place so it cannot be released without much effort.
    Garage break-in's are very common.

mtbr member
    I like to keep mine in my house locked up, when I go riding I lock it to my 4Runners roll bar until i'm actually riding it. I've had too many bikes stolen as a kid to not take any chances now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just bought a kryptonite evolution mini u-lock to lock my bike up when I'm at the gym. I got it for $36 off amazon with free shipping.

edit: bike is the trance x.
    Last edited by dangerzone9k; 08-29-2011 at 05:47 PM.

banned
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by llb_dll View Post
    I have one for the fact that the company will replace your bike if it gets stolen using a Krytonite lock. Al yo uhave to do is send them the broken lock and a certified police report.

banned
    Mar 2011
    I like the advice given here about getting a beater for trips to the store and the like. Save your "machine" for the trails when it's very rare you'll have to lose sight of it.
    Bikes are a HOT item for theft.... The police department in my town routinely stage a "lonely bike" outside a store with no lock. It's a great way to weed out bike theifs from town.