1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

what do you guys think of this bike? little lost. Thanks!

I'm looking at this bike on craigslist, here it is. What do you guys think of this one for the price.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/725938777.html

Cheezy Rider
    No back brake, is it a fixie? Rims appear to be aluminum, which is good. Free Spirit was a department store brand, I don't recall who sold them. I don't think I'd pay more than $25. In fact, unless that brake works a lot better than I expect it will, I wouldn't ride it. I like to be able to stop.

mtbr member
    Well, since you're asking about this particular bike in a mountain bike forum, I'd say it's a bad idea.

However, if you just need a beater to get around town, it looks fine. Single speeds are very low maintenance, which makes them fairly practical commuter bikes. Fresh rattle-can job and it would look nice and sleek, but I'd try to talk them down a few bucks anyway.

EDIT: Good eye Rufudufus. I never noticed the brake. If it is a fixie, that's fine, but I'd be hesitant to recommend such a bike to a beginner. Fixies are great, but you really have to have them set up properly, and if that IS a fixed-gear conversion, the price suggests it's not a quality build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    wow, you guys are awesome. yea, itll just be for commuting, thanks for the input. ill go have a look at it myself

mtbr member
    Free Spirit was the Sears brand, I used to sell em. Most customers asked what kind of bike I rode, fully expecting me to take them over to it on the floor. Well, um, yeah.. at that time I was riding a Manitou HT.

On the bright side, the "Just Riding Along" warranty questions were great.