Results 1 to 48 of 48
  1. #1
    Hardtail Warrior
    Reputation: opivyattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    509

    What do you do to keep sweat out of your eyes?

    The other day I was riding in Mount Diablo. I started at macedo ranch/wallpoint and wanted to get to rock city without stopping. I had almost made it when I had to stop because my eyes were burning too much from sweat pouring into them lol. This isn't the first time it has happened and I doubt I'm the only person that has had this problem. So what do you do to prevent this? Also it is important to note that I don't want to cover my whole head. We all know our head is where most of the heat escapes so there's no reason to trap it all in there.

  2. #2
    Hardbooter
    Reputation: KingCrimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    534
    Didn't you see the Royal Tenenbaums?

    Buy one. They're cheap, they work, and if you're lame enough to not get a haircut (like me) they keep your hair in check!


  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,062
    A sweat band or dew rag might help for the first 20 min. on a hot ride. Then you have to wring them out every 5 minutes or so.

    You might want to Google this: Sweat Gutr Sweatband

    I haven't tried it, but I've read good reviews.

    Or you could wear a light baseball cap under your helmet. Although it'll make you hotter overall, the sweat will wick to the tip of the visor and drip from there. Not a good solution, but proves the potential.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,529
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Skullcap.aspx

    edit: I missed the part where you said you didn't want to cover your whole head.

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Headband.aspx

  5. #5
    Hardtail Warrior
    Reputation: opivyattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    509
    Hey thanks for the input. This one actually looks sorta cool (as cool as this type of thing can get........)

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Headbands.aspx

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: adoble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    197
    Under Armor Skull Cap

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    286
    I use the Halo headband and it works well.

  8. #8
    Hardbooter
    Reputation: KingCrimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    534
    Admittedly sweatbands do need maintenance, but not to that extreme.

    Another solution is deprive yourself of fluid intake 2 days prior to riding..

    The HALO 2 was going to be my recommendation if you wanted to go the route of headbands.

    UC Cyclery in SD had a display set up for a while with a little irrigation system running down a dummy's head, but the band sucked up and redirected all the water, and the dummy's face was dry.

  9. #9
    Hardtail Warrior
    Reputation: opivyattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    509
    Ya for $13 the halo 2 looks like it's worth a try. I like that it would probably be hard to tell that someone was even wearing one with a helmet on. That's probably what I'm going to end up with. Thanks again.

  10. #10
    Hardbooter
    Reputation: KingCrimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    534
    Let us know how it works out for you!


  11. #11
    jalopy jockey
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    551
    +1 again on the Halo. I use the bandanna, and it works the whole thing is soaked and dripping of the back.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cyrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    735
    Take old t shirts you don't wear, but off the sleeves from the shoulder. Put on head.

    Viola. Cheap and effective.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: parkp81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    342
    I went to Sports Authority and picked up the Under Armour Skull Wrap works great.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: billee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    435
    I have eyebrows like Albert Einstein. The sweat rolls along the top and down the sides. The only problem is that the sweat runs in my ears and I can't hear anything.

  15. #15
    Moooo!!!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    257
    I'm so damned mean the sweat runs up and jumps off the top of my head to get away rather than fall in my eyes... I honestly just don't even notice it even though I do sweat likea pig on a cookout.

  16. #16
    Hardbooter
    Reputation: KingCrimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by billee
    I have eyebrows like Albert Einstein. The sweat rolls along the top and down the sides. The only problem is that the sweat runs in my ears and I can't hear anything.
    Really? That's pretty cool!

    As I sweat more when I push myself, I notice my hair sucks up LOADS of sweat, and then when I pull off my helmet, it's like a big swamp cooler.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6
    I'm yet another halo fan, it works great for me and is comfy under the helmet.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    114
    You need to grow some man eyebrows!


    but honestly I use my gloves thats why they have that nifty pad on the back.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    111
    I used to have the same problem, then I bought a $2 bandana from Target, now problem solved.

  20. #20
    Hardtail Warrior
    Reputation: opivyattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by swmarc
    You need to grow some man eyebrows!


    but honestly I use my gloves thats why they have that nifty pad on the back.
    A lot of gloves don't have that nifty pad, including my Troy Lee Air XCs. My Pearl Izumi's have them though. The problem is that they only work for shorter rides, 1-2 hours. After that they're just so soaked they don't even make a difference. Or maybe I'm just a sweaty ape. I should probably look into that. I like 3-5 hours rides when I can get them in and I think the Halo II will really help for these types of rides.

  21. #21
    don't move for trees
    Reputation: BKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,832
    just wear goggles, little hotter then glasses, but you don't ever have to worry about them coming off or stuff getting in your eyes, plus sweat just goes around.
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    24
    I just use a bandana rolled up and tied around my head as a sweatband. I still get a little sweat into my eyes, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to bother me or irritate my eyes at all.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,062
    I've tried a coolmax dew rag, and terrycloth headbands. On a hot day, neither help for long enough to make a difference. And both felt like they actually made me hotter.

    This guy tried the Sweat Gutr and the Halo, and wrote about it here: http://www.nordicskiracer.com/cgi-bi...sp?NewsID=1774

    I think I'll try the Gutr next, as it doesn't include any unnecessary insulating material.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trekbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    304
    I shave my head and it doesn't take long for me to have the issue you are talking about. No hair to slow down the sweat! 90% of my riding is done in high humidity too.

    Headsweats dew rags are the only thing that work for me. They will work like a jersey does. Wicking away the sweat. My noggin actually feels cooler with one on than if I don't wear it. They also have a sweat band sewn into them. I actually wear mine down low enough to cover my eyebrows. There is less uncovered surface area to have sweat roll into my eyes. If I don't wear them I will have sweat running down my glasses lens within 5 miles.
    Don't talk back to Darth Vader or he'll getcha!

  25. #25
    MTU
    MTU is offline
    Scary Audio Guy
    Reputation: MTU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    57
    I've used the Halo for a few years now and it has worked well for me. Having a thin(ing) head of hair, the sweat pours right into my eyes otherwise. It's rather effective and I've done plenty of miles out on/around Mt. Diablo with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This Message Approved By MTU

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrix
    Take old t shirts you don't wear, but off the sleeves from the shoulder. Put on head.

    Viola. Cheap and effective.
    Cool.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  27. #27
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Reputation: StompinStu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    249
    I went with an Under Armour skull cap for awhile, but it didn't do much for me. Recently went to a UA sweat band. Much better, but I think I am going to go with the GUTR.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pagey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    630
    another Halo 2 fan here
    cheers
    Pagey

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    19
    I just wipe it off with my gloves

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    548

    You guys are so "soft". . .

    I mean, common, "borrow" your girl's Maxipad - the thing is absorbent beyond compare and comes with the nifty adhesive-backing that keeps it in place on your forehead - once you're done, just put it back in with the others. . . it's all about leaving the smallest "carbon-footprint".

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HardRockCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson
    Didn't you see the Royal Tenenbaums?

    Buy one. They're cheap, they work, and if you're lame enough to not get a haircut (like me) they keep your hair in check!

    What about Semi-Pro?


  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LaLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    430
    i've played Halo, Halo 2, and Halo 3, but none have kept me from sweating when i ride. now i just keep and OR Nurse on my handlebars at all times and shout "sponge" when the sweat starts to role . but seriously, i like the Halo 2.

  33. #33
    MTU
    MTU is offline
    Scary Audio Guy
    Reputation: MTU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by LaLD
    i've played Halo, Halo 2, and Halo 3, but none have kept me from sweating when i ride. now i just keep and OR Nurse on my handlebars at all times and shout "sponge" when the sweat starts to role . but seriously, i like the Halo 2.
    I should try the OR nurse, how do you them attach to the handlebars?
    This Message Approved By MTU

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LaLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by MTU
    I should try the OR nurse, how do you them attach to the handlebars?
    Clipless panties?

  35. #35
    (not that fast)
    Reputation: fastale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    958
    any feelings towards which is better, the original halo or halo 2?


  36. #36
    Ride'n Dirty
    Reputation: Probie1Kenobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    A sweat band or dew rag might help for the first 20 min. on a hot ride. Then you have to wring them out every 5 minutes or so.

    You might want to Google this: Sweat Gutr Sweatband

    I haven't tried it, but I've read good reviews.

    Or you could wear a light baseball cap under your helmet. Although it'll make you hotter overall, the sweat will wick to the tip of the visor and drip from there. Not a good solution, but proves the potential.
    Damm, I might have to try that!!
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by fastale
    any feelings towards which is better, the original halo or halo 2?
    I suspect they're both about the same, because the technology is identical, as can be seen in the pics. The rest appears to be a matter of style. Admittedly, I haven't tried either.

  38. #38
    MTU
    MTU is offline
    Scary Audio Guy
    Reputation: MTU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by LaLD
    Clipless panties?
    nice!
    This Message Approved By MTU

  39. #39
    MTU
    MTU is offline
    Scary Audio Guy
    Reputation: MTU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by fastale
    any feelings towards which is better, the original halo or halo 2?
    I like the Halo 2. No knot to interfere with the helmet.
    This Message Approved By MTU

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by MTU
    I like the Halo 2. No knot to interfere with the helmet.
    I have been using the Halo for a few months now and have had no issues with the knot. I was concerned about that but it turned into a non-issue.
    It works great BTW. I have not had to wipe sweat from my eyes since I bought it. Don't know how I rode before that.

    /just my .02
    Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    273
    Halo 2 Headband....

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,062
    I just picked up a halo 2 and tried it out yesterday. It didn't work for me. Every time I looked down, all the sweat collected by the plastic strip dripped into my eyeglasses, as you might expect. I had to stop every 15-20 minutes and wring it out, then find a dry spot on my clothing to wipe my glasses.

    Perhaps if the plastic strip were curved, and higher in the middle, gravity would pull the sweat to the sides. In hindsight, it doesn't even look like it would work, unless you constantly tilt your head way back.

  43. #43
    Back at it and LOVIN' it!
    Reputation: hncreature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    273
    HALO 2...forget the tying - I sweat a lot and it has worked for me
    Ride Hard - Ride Safe - Have Fun

    Go s#!t...I'm not a fish

  44. #44
    Hardtail Warrior
    Reputation: opivyattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    I just picked up a halo 2 and tried it out yesterday. It didn't work for me. Every time I looked down, all the sweat collected by the plastic strip dripped into my eyeglasses, as you might expect. I had to stop every 15-20 minutes and wring it out, then find a dry spot on my clothing to wipe my glasses.

    Perhaps if the plastic strip were curved, and higher in the middle, gravity would pull the sweat to the sides. In hindsight, it doesn't even look like it would work, unless you constantly tilt your head way back.
    I haven't actually bought mine yet but I'm planning to (along with some lock on grips). What I understand from the article that someone posted about the GUTR vs the Halo is that you can't look down. Plus we're not roadies, you shouldn't be looking down anyways. You need to look ahead to be sure that you're in the right gear and to help you pick a good line while you're climbing (unless you're on singletrack of course). So that really should be a non factor. Just work on not looking down.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by opivyattack
    I haven't actually bought mine yet but I'm planning to (along with some lock on grips). What I understand from the article that someone posted about the GUTR vs the Halo is that you can't look down. Plus we're not roadies, you shouldn't be looking down anyways. You need to look ahead to be sure that you're in the right gear and to help you pick a good line while you're climbing (unless you're on singletrack of course). So that really should be a non factor. Just work on not looking down.
    Yeah, I posted that article. In hindsight, I regret not taking it to heart. I should've got the GUTR instead. My bad; $10 lesson learned.

    With the Halo2, I'd have to look at the sky or at least the tree-tops 100% of the time (while looking at the trail out of the bottom of my eye sockets), in order for it to work. That means: Don't look at that big fallen log across the trail. Don't attempt to adjust your brakes or derailleur on the fly. Don't look for rocks in the creek crossing. Don't look at that squirrel or groundhog darting out in front of you. Don't look down to grab a water bottle or your camelback hose. And heaven forbid, don't look in your pack for anything.

    I hope it works better for you than it did for me. As far as head-bands go, it's up there with the best. It just doesn't do any of the sweat-channeling stuff they claim. Not in the least.

  46. #46
    Back at it and LOVIN' it!
    Reputation: hncreature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    273
    Aaahhh...the GUTR...could be the next one to try
    Ride Hard - Ride Safe - Have Fun

    Go s#!t...I'm not a fish

  47. #47
    Hardtail Warrior
    Reputation: opivyattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    Yeah, I posted that article. In hindsight, I regret not taking it to heart. I should've got the GUTR instead. My bad; $10 lesson learned.

    With the Halo2, I'd have to look at the sky or at least the tree-tops 100% of the time (while looking at the trail out of the bottom of my eye sockets), in order for it to work. That means: Don't look at that big fallen log across the trail. Don't attempt to adjust your brakes or derailleur on the fly. Don't look for rocks in the creek crossing. Don't look at that squirrel or groundhog darting out in front of you. Don't look down to grab a water bottle or your camelback hose. And heaven forbid, don't look in your pack for anything.

    I hope it works better for you than it did for me. As far as head-bands go, it's up there with the best. It just doesn't do any of the sweat-channeling stuff they claim. Not in the least.
    Oh ya I get what you're saying. I don't think that I sweat on my head super profusely so I'm thinking that the Halo 2 *should* work for me. It's only a $10 gamble and it's gotta be better than using nothing like I am now. Plus there are a lot of people in here that have experience with it and having said to give it a go so I'm willing to try it. Thanks again.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    794
    Under Armor Skull Cap
    I wear one of these heat gear under armour skull caps under my helmet and it is nice and cool (I have a white one so it doesn't collect heat from the sun) and the wind coming through my fox and trek helmets both cool down any sweat that collects from the skull cap.

    If it's really humid I wear a pair of these with the skull cap

    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=426492

    They don't look the coolest, but hell if they are good enough for the boys in uniform they are good enough for me.

    In the winter I look like a damn SWAT team member with a black baklava, black glasses, black army parka, black pants, and black gloves.

    I look damn sweet on my cobia though haha

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •