1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hardtail Warrior

What do you do to keep sweat out of your eyes?

The other day I was riding in Mount Diablo. I started at macedo ranch/wallpoint and wanted to get to rock city without stopping. I had almost made it when I had to stop because my eyes were burning too much from sweat pouring into them lol. This isn't the first time it has happened and I doubt I'm the only person that has had this problem. So what do you do to prevent this? Also it is important to note that I don't want to cover my whole head. We all know our head is where most of the heat escapes so there's no reason to trap it all in there.

Hardbooter
    Didn't you see the Royal Tenenbaums?

Buy one. They're cheap, they work, and if you're lame enough to not get a haircut (like me) they keep your hair in check!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A sweat band or dew rag might help for the first 20 min. on a hot ride. Then you have to wring them out every 5 minutes or so.

You might want to Google this: Sweat Gutr Sweatband

I haven't tried it, but I've read good reviews.

Or you could wear a light baseball cap under your helmet. Although it'll make you hotter overall, the sweat will wick to the tip of the visor and drip from there. Not a good solution, but proves the potential.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Skullcap.aspx

edit: I missed the part where you said you didn't want to cover your whole head.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Headband.aspx

Hardtail Warrior
    Hey thanks for the input. This one actually looks sorta cool (as cool as this type of thing can get........)

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Headbands.aspx

mtbr member
    Under Armor Skull Cap

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I use the Halo headband and it works well.

Hardbooter
    Admittedly sweatbands do need maintenance, but not to that extreme.

Another solution is deprive yourself of fluid intake 2 days prior to riding..

The HALO 2 was going to be my recommendation if you wanted to go the route of headbands.

UC Cyclery in SD had a display set up for a while with a little irrigation system running down a dummy's head, but the band sucked up and redirected all the water, and the dummy's face was dry.

Hardtail Warrior
    Ya for $13 the halo 2 looks like it's worth a try. I like that it would probably be hard to tell that someone was even wearing one with a helmet on. That's probably what I'm going to end up with. Thanks again.

Hardbooter
    Let us know how it works out for you!

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    +1 again on the Halo. I use the bandanna, and it works the whole thing is soaked and dripping of the back.

mtbr member
    Take old t shirts you don't wear, but off the sleeves from the shoulder. Put on head.

Viola. Cheap and effective.

mtbr member
    I went to Sports Authority and picked up the Under Armour Skull Wrap works great.

mtbr member
    I have eyebrows like Albert Einstein. The sweat rolls along the top and down the sides. The only problem is that the sweat runs in my ears and I can't hear anything.

Moooo!!!
    Aug 2008
    I'm so damned mean the sweat runs up and jumps off the top of my head to get away rather than fall in my eyes... I honestly just don't even notice it even though I do sweat likea pig on a cookout.

Hardbooter
    Quote Originally Posted by billee
    I have eyebrows like Albert Einstein. The sweat rolls along the top and down the sides. The only problem is that the sweat runs in my ears and I can't hear anything.
    Really? That's pretty cool!

As I sweat more when I push myself, I notice my hair sucks up LOADS of sweat, and then when I pull off my helmet, it's like a big swamp cooler.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm yet another halo fan, it works great for me and is comfy under the helmet.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You need to grow some man eyebrows!

but honestly I use my gloves thats why they have that nifty pad on the back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I used to have the same problem, then I bought a $2 bandana from Target, now problem solved.

Hardtail Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by swmarc
    You need to grow some man eyebrows!

but honestly I use my gloves thats why they have that nifty pad on the back.
    A lot of gloves don't have that nifty pad, including my Troy Lee Air XCs. My Pearl Izumi's have them though. The problem is that they only work for shorter rides, 1-2 hours. After that they're just so soaked they don't even make a difference. Or maybe I'm just a sweaty ape. I should probably look into that. I like 3-5 hours rides when I can get them in and I think the Halo II will really help for these types of rides.

don't move for trees
    just wear goggles, little hotter then glasses, but you don't ever have to worry about them coming off or stuff getting in your eyes, plus sweat just goes around.
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just use a bandana rolled up and tied around my head as a sweatband. I still get a little sweat into my eyes, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to bother me or irritate my eyes at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've tried a coolmax dew rag, and terrycloth headbands. On a hot day, neither help for long enough to make a difference. And both felt like they actually made me hotter.

This guy tried the Sweat Gutr and the Halo, and wrote about it here: http://www.nordicskiracer.com/cgi-bi...sp?NewsID=1774

I think I'll try the Gutr next, as it doesn't include any unnecessary insulating material.

mtbr member
    I shave my head and it doesn't take long for me to have the issue you are talking about. No hair to slow down the sweat! 90% of my riding is done in high humidity too.

Headsweats dew rags are the only thing that work for me. They will work like a jersey does. Wicking away the sweat. My noggin actually feels cooler with one on than if I don't wear it. They also have a sweat band sewn into them. I actually wear mine down low enough to cover my eyebrows. There is less uncovered surface area to have sweat roll into my eyes. If I don't wear them I will have sweat running down my glasses lens within 5 miles.
    Don't talk back to Darth Vader or he'll getcha!

MTU
    Scary Audio Guy
    I've used the Halo for a few years now and it has worked well for me. Having a thin(ing) head of hair, the sweat pours right into my eyes otherwise. It's rather effective and I've done plenty of miles out on/around Mt. Diablo with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike U

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast