1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    1.21 Jigowatts!

New question here. what do you carry with you

when you go out for a good ride what all do you carry with you? what do you carry it all in?
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    In my little MEC hydration pack...

Water, tools, pump, first aid kit, cel phone, camera, snacks, rain gear.

I carry enough tools to do pretty much anything except remove the BB and this includes a spare tube for whatever I'm riding.

The rain/wind gear is really lightweight and is there in case the weather goes sideways while I'm out.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    Definitely depends what kind of ride it is, but...

I pretty much always carry:

-Bike Tool
    -Pump
    -Phone
    -ID/Cash
    -Spare Tube
    -Water (in my Camelback, which is where the rest of this is stuffed into)
    -Zone Bar and/or dried fruit.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Depending on how far I'm planning to ride:

CO2 cartridge and valve, phone, spare tube, ID/Cash/Health plan card, bottle with sports drink, and some Powerbars if I'm planning to go for a longer ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Usually I ride solo, so I have pretty much on me when riding.
    In the saddle bag - all the tools and parts I need. By the way, the bag is attached so that it won't interfere with moving the Southernmost part of my back as far behind the seat as needed.
    List of the tools: a multitool, separate chainbreaker, flat repair set including a small bottle of acetone and piece of fabric, small Leatherman-like tool, locking pliar(I don't actually know the English word for this thing, in Hebrew it is pliar patent), Presta - Schraeder adapter, 2 tyre removing levers.
    Parts: 2 spare tubes, several Presta valves, nuts and caps, a few chain links, a chain pin, a derailleur hanger, miscellaneous screws just in case. A few cable ties.
    In the pouch(pretty big one) - 3 half litre bottles of frozen water in the summer or 1 bottle and rain suit in the winter instead. The headlight - in case I am planning a long ride.Spare batteries for the light. Some money, keys. If I get to the trail by car - keys of the car as well.
    Also in the pouch: first aid kit. In the kit: polydine ointment, a small bottle of alcohol, chilling spray for dry bruises, bandages - regular and elastic, plaster, glucose pills.
    On the belt of pouch: a holster with cellular phone on the right and on the left - a small bag with flashlight mounting on the head - extremely helpful for repairs at night or in poor lighting conditions.
    On the frame - 0.8 litre bottle of water and pump.
    I prefer not to wear a backpack and for me it works.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If you will be riding in a sketchy area (meth cookers, hobos and the like) it is not a bad idea to carry a small concealable pistol. There are various fanny packs with built in holsters that will make it completely unobtrusive.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

junk in the trunk

Boy you guys sure carry around a lot of stuff!

A.K.A. junk in the trunk.....

I have pared it down pretty good over the years. I run a quite small Nalgene hydration pack which holds two litres of water. I carry a pump, a small set of allens, and a patch kit or tube. I sometimes carry the wife's cell if I am riding solo in case I mangle myself badly.

Drew

Student
    I carry:
    -Metric allen key set
    -Multi tool
    -needle nose pliers
    -flat repair kit
    -mini pump
    -cell phone
    -chap stick
    -sometimes a vector bar
    -water
    All this is carried in my hydro pack which happens to be a Sette Flow max purchased at price point.
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]

Calm Like a Bomb
    multi too
    flat repair kit
    spare tube
    camera
    co2 cartridge/pump
    elastics
    first aid kit (homemade)
    keys
    some cash sometimes
    water (in camelback)
    map of trail if needed

mtbr member
    Water. Cell phone. Usually that's it. I don't like to carry stuff. If the bike breaks, I'll just push it out to the highway and call my wife for a ride home. Or I'll walk home. I've only had to do that one time in the past six seasons. I'm comfortable with that level of risk. Maybe I'm just not riding hard enough, but bikes today seem pretty doggone reliable.

Do bear in mind that where I usually ride I'm only, at absolute worst case, perhaps a mile or two from a road. If I'm really going somewhere remote, I'll pack more in the way of tools, spare tube, etc.

Sometimes I'll throw in a couple of granola bars if I plan to be out for a long time.

I prefer to carry water in bottles on the bike, but for longer trips I'll wear a hydration pack.

mtbr member
    Water. Cell phone. Usually that's it. I don't like to carry stuff. If the bike breaks, I'll just push it out to the highway and call my wife for a ride home. Or I'll walk home. I've only had to do that one time in the past six seasons. I'm comfortable with that level of risk. Maybe I'm just not riding hard enough, but bikes today seem pretty doggone reliable.

Do bear in mind that where I usually ride I'm only, at absolute worst case, perhaps a mile or two from a road. If I'm really going somewhere remote, I'll pack more in the way of tools, spare tube, etc.

Sometimes I'll throw in a couple of granola bars if I plan to be out for a long time.

I prefer to carry water in bottles on the bike, but for longer trips I'll wear a hydration pack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    In my North Face backpack i carry:

Frame pump
    extra tube
    tyre levers
    patch kit
    park multi tool
    small first aid kit
    chain breaker
    chain links
    wallet
    cell phone

mtbr member
    In the camelback

-Suntan lotion...I go to the beach a lot.
    -Chain links
    -Park multi tool /w chain tool on it.
    -spoke wrench
    -spare tubes
    -patch kit
    -pump
    -tire levers
    -keys
    -First aid kit
    -cell phone
    -spare cash
    -ID
    -Snake bite kit
    -Food for longer rides
    -Baseball hat when I go somewhere. Helmet hair is nasty.
    -Ulock so my bike doesn't get stolen when I go somewhere.
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

I play hard to want
    Camelbak M.U.L.E.:

• Water (duh)
    • Pump
    • Tube
    • Patch Kit/Levers
    • Alien Multitool
    • Emerson Folding Knife
    • Clif Bars/Gu/etc.
    • Cell Phone
    • Wallet/Keys
    It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Dirt Abuser
    Water (hydration system)
    Wallet / Keys
    Phone
    Spare tube
    Mini Pump
    Tire tool
    Multitool
    Chain link tool
    Cliff bar
    MP3 player
    "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

Dirt Abuser
    Water (hydration system)
    Wallet / Keys
    Phone
    Spare tube
    Mini Pump
    Tire tool
    Multitool
    Chain link tool
    Cliff bar
    MP3 player
    "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

neutiquam erro
    Since this question gets asked every few weeks or so, we should make a sticky in this forum out of one of the better threads.... Mods?

In my Wingnut Hyper 3.0 pack I have...

- An Ultimate Direction roll-top bladder. Love that design, but stick with the tried-and-true CamelBak bite valve for it.
    - Bug repellent
    - Gel packs
    - Wallet or basic ID. I also hang an old dog-tag on an outer zipper pull. Some kind of obvious medical-info ID is a good idea.
    - Cell phone
    - Keys
    - Purell hand sanitizer in small bottle. It came with a rubber case that clips onto a zipper pull or d-ring or whatever. Very nice for first aid or to clean hands for patching tires, etc. A travel-pack size thingee of baby wipes are nice to have too!
    - Misc sized zip-ties, a few zip-lock bags, and some duct tape. You never know!
    - Spare tube(s)
    - A quality air pump. Shock pump too if on the squishie.
    - Comprehensive first-aid kit, including a space blanket. Haha, now that I look, I even have some firestarter and my old BlastMatch in there still. As is my signal mirror...
    - GPS sometimes.
    - Tools:
    - Good multi-tool (I like the Topeak Alien II)
    - Patch kits & tire levers
    - Small but powerful flashlight
    - 2 SRAM powerlinks and 5-6 spare chain links
    - Spare derailluer hanger
    - I also keep a basic leatherman for the pliers and some other options not on the Alien II.
    - A loud whistle is a good idea to have (handy for group rides or survival situations), the Wingnut Hyper has one built into the chest strap. Pretty cool.

Cheers, Chris

I just wanna ride my bike

I also throw in...

...lip balm with sun screen and eye drops (nothing like trying to deal with a dried out contact lens or dust in the eye in the middle of nowhere).

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    In my back pack:
    water
    Bike lock
    House keys and keys for my lock

and thats about it so far. I need a better backpack because my bag i use right now is starting to rip and a tool kit and spare tubes.