1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Rogue Exterminator

What do I have in common with the Titanic?

We both crashed on our maiden voyage. lol

Took my first ride today just to get the feel of the bike and about 3 miles in to it the handle bars came lose, my wheel went left and I went over the side of the trail.

Thought it would be as simple as tightening the two bolts, but no matter how much I torqued it, it was still loose.

So I got to take the almost 3 mile walk of shame back to the truck.

Took the bike back up to where I bought it (REI) and they corrected the issue and I was able to hit some different trails (Bent Creek) that were closer to the shop.
    Actually liked those trails better as there were no horses like there were on the other trails.

All in all, the bike worked me, but it was a good time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Welcome to the world of biking. Right when you think you're going going you crash. But as long as you get back up and keep going you're doing good, sounds like you did that. I'm in Asheville and ride Bent Creek (BC) regularly, let me know if you're looking for a riding partner.

Rogue Exterminator
    I have crashed much bigger bikes (motorcycles) and still get back on them. lol

Would love to have a riding partner but I will most likely hold you up.

Sending PM