1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 99 of 102 FirstFirst ... 49 89 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 2549
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    did a 5 mile urban ride on knobbies......liking the lightness of the rockhopper over the heavy arse bikes I was riding before
    97 specialized rockhopper....$5 garage sale find, rebuild project

beater magna great divide urban commuter bike-RIP

29ers Forever
    12 miles yesterday and 7 miles today on my old Gravel bike.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    back in the day when I was much younger, I would ride all day long with my riding buddies sometimes covering 60 miles or more in one day..... todays 5 mile ride is the longest I have ridden in awhile due to health issues
    97 specialized rockhopper....$5 garage sale find, rebuild project

beater magna great divide urban commuter bike-RIP

mtbr member
    Got in a quick 20 today.

2 1/2 weeks before my B race!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Replaced the cassette and chain!

mtbr member
    Picked up my rear wheel after getting it trued. Put it on my bike and took a quick ride up the block. Then went back to work on my daughter's bike. Got it pretty much ready for the weekend. It's an old ozone my Dad gave her. We will have a family ride / picnic this weekend.
    Riding that old Ozone definitely makes me appreciate my Jamis. Conversely I know there are kids who would love to have that bike.
    The bike doesn't make you go fast.
    You make the bike go fast.

mtbr member
    Got to ride with 3 guys I had never ridden with before yesterday. They showed me some new trails. Later this week I want to show them some of the trails that I hit.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Soooo...I made some noob mistakes today. At the recommendation of a few people I decided to upgrade my stem. So I have never done this before but figured "hey how hard can it be?" I was right! Super easy.

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-imag1646.jpg

Then came the realization that my old 90's era handlebar will no longer fit. Oops. So then I find out that to get a new handlebar I should go wider than the short straight bar I have. Well I decided to test out a wider bar...by doing this...

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-imag1645.jpg

Yeah I rode around the street after marking the length of the new handlebar I am getting on a garden hoe. Wow I have to say this is going to be an adjustment. The new bar will be adding over 2 inches on both sides. And it will be a riser. But hey I guess this is all part of the learning process. If I don't like it I can always go back. I have to say even though I'm stumbling through these fixes and upgrades I am really enjoying it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Went out on my second ride today. Good, but stinking hot. Got about 4 miles down and had to call it. Next time going out earlier in the day.

mtbr member
    Went for a 2hr 15min killer yesterday, lots of climbs and head winds... today 45 min cruise with kids
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Hucked out a 6.6 mile brake burn-in ride today. Accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake. Boring but the brakes work great now so there's that. Also made a new cable retaining clamp for my fork after breaking the original one. This one is black linen micarta (looks like carbon fiber - sort of) and much stronger than stock. God bless my dremel tool and drill press.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: What did You do today on your mountain bike?

Took my fat bike for a spin

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Went to holbridge again. Found out I'm still outta shape. 6 miles in this humidity and I'm beat. Me and a buddy both went over the handlebars at the same time. That was pretty funny. But the whole purpose was to test out the new stem and handlebars. The final verdict: they are one hell of an upgrade.

29ers Forever
    5 mile ride at Pine Hill Park. It was a great ride, but I broke a spoke and didn't realize it until I got back to the car.
    That's the second broken spoke in a month.

Forth Eorlingas!

29ers Forever
    11 mile gravel road ride today before the rain.

Forth Eorlingas!

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    I rode 12 miles with the wife and just beat rain also. Must be the day for that.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    5 mile ride by myself. Paved trail. (yeah I know.) I was still riding. Trying to find my lights so I can ride after dark. I may ride today. We shall see. Hot and I am kinda tired. Had to work today so I am now feeling lazy and I have tomorrow off. Might ride tomorrow instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Installed new seat, handle bars and grips

mtbr member
    Won't be doing much today... Planned to do a ride, but there's a gunmen on the loose! Lurking around the trails where I am...

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Helped my son put on a pair of carbon fiber handlebars then we hit the single track for a seven mile ride.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014

Re: What did You do today on your mountain bike?

Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Won't be doing much today... Planned to do a ride, but there's a gunmen on the loose! Lurking around the trails where I am...

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad
    Out of personal preservation...where is this at?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Will be riding about dark again tonight. small handfull of miles. Nothing serious. Just getting some saddle time. That is what matters right now. Getting saddle time.

29ers Forever
    19 miles on my Misceo at the local rail trail, just to get a lot of fast mileage before the week.

That was a total of 35 or so miles for me this weekend.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Squeezed in 9 mile at Dupont Friday evening after work. Went back Sunday afternoon for 10 miles with a bud. Rode Ridgeline trail for the first time(awesome!)
    Went today to Green River Gamelands and rode Turkey Gut to Stairstep to Bear Branch and down Bishop Branch. My climbing legs were toast.
    Great weekend though!

mtbr member
    Fixed an annoying creak on my Salsa. I thought it was coming from the BB, but it turned out to be a loose pivot bearing.

Of course I had to pull the crankset and chain guide in order to get at the bearing bolt, so I checked the BB and re lubed everything while it was apart.

Good as new!

Then I did a 6 mile road ride with it and bunny hopped a bunch of times and practiced riding wheelies. I'm getting better!
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

Page 99 of 102 FirstFirst ... 49 89 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 LastLast