1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 93 of 106 FirstFirst ... 43 83 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 103 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 2646
    Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I was reading that giving out helmets has zero effect on helmet use.. Nobody uses them unless they want to or are forced to be it by law or parents

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    I guess if they are 'invested' in the idea it's a good policy they buy one. Kind of makes sense but it's nice to know that some hospitals give out car seats or helmets to those that may not have the $ means.

I used to peruse the local Goodwill store for books (still do) and I ran into so many trunk mount bike racks that were marked $4.99 or so, I just bought one anytime I seen one and gave them away as I'd run into others that could use one. Talk about a small price to pay ....

In recent years, GW has become a more proud of some of the stuff and prices jumped up. What used be under $10 now gets tagged at $30 in many cases.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Co Springs
    Thurs morning ride of 12.8 miles with some friends on a early to warmer - hot morning. It think it got to 95 by some point in the day but we were rolling by 730a.

I forget how pleasant riding of any sort is, be it a path of hardpack/gravel, techy, twisty stuff or moderate climbs.... We have so much terrain variety, and scenic landscape, sunrise and sunsets, I feel bad for those that can't or don't get out to enjoy it in some manner of healthy exercise or fellowship.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    I took a nice ride to the nearest park!

mtbr member
    Waited til dark for the temperature to drop.100 today. Took a ride with my daughter about 6 miles on the road. She is my protoge and I am still pretty green to mtbr. We'll learn I together.

banned
    May 2014
    I rode it like a stole it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tres Bottelas View Post
    I rode it like a stole it.
    LoL nice!

mtbr member

Re: What did You do today on your mountain bike?

Stared at it after I got home at 2am for a bit.
    Finally got around to upgrading my POS brakes. Picked these up pretty cheap with new rotors.

Also picked this up for the hell of it.

Been away for two weeks for work so I may have to ride it until it rains again then I'll replace the brakes. I've been having withdraws.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose302 View Post
    Stared at it after I got home at 2am for a bit.
    Finally got around to upgrading my POS brakes. Picked these up pretty cheap with new rotors.

Also picked this up for the hell of it.

Been away for two weeks for work so I may have to ride it until it rains again then I'll replace the brakes. I've been having withdraws.
    Nice I like the cap!

mtbr member
    May 2010

What did You do today on your mountain bike?

Gave my stumpy a nice batch and lube job!!! Broke 200 miles on her the other day!!!!

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by elliott436 View Post
    Nice I like the cap!
    I prefer Niner's slogan better. Pedal Dammit.

Anyway I rode a fast 6 mile loop at Pine Hill Park today. The weather was absolutely perfect.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I've been exploring the local trail system since getting my new bike a few weeks ago. Went to the very top today, roughly 1300' up, and did some new routes on the way down. Forgot to dial my fork compression back for the descent and wondered why it was rougher than it should of been... It was a good ride, though. Probably an 8+ mile trek, but i'd like to get an odometer so I can really know how far i'm going.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-20140726_091012_zps2fd76d3d.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just use endomondo on my phone it works pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yeah, just found out it would be easy to use my phone for that purpose, and, voila, now I have an app!

Somersault Expert
    Mar 2014
    Replaced my X7 shifters with XOs. Cursed the designer of the XO cable retainer, several times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    What did You do today on your mountain bike?-image.jpg

Had a run-in with a tree. The tree always wins.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by db440 View Post
    Yeah, just found out it would be easy to use my phone for that purpose, and, voila, now I have an app!
    I recall replacing the computer on my bike over a year ago and I did the 'roll-out method' for calibration. I think it's described on Sheldon's page. I mention it because a week or so ago, I checked it against the gps / Map my ride/run program on my phone and at just over 5 miles, got two very similar results. I was impressed.

Planet Bike odo 5.26 miles
    GPS Mapmyride 5.19

.07 variation over 5 miles ...

No ride Saturday for me.... getting on task for the To Do list but it did involve hanging 4 bikes in the garage for better organization and access.

Kid and his wife moving in/storing furniture at our place for 11 days between their move.

mtbr member
    Well I didn't do anything today on the bike with the storms. But I did order my new acer single digit 7 brakes (don't laugh, it's an old bike). Also ordered two new water bottle holders and bottles. And some new Fox dirtpaw gloves. Pretty excited.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Got out Saturday morning for an early morning trail ride with some friends. Pretty beginner stuff, but definitely got the juices flowing.

Went to a park I've never been too this afternoon (Water Dog Lake in Belmont, CA) for a little exploratory ride. Just cruised around for an hour and checked it out. It ended up being quite a bit more difficult than any of the trails I have been on up to this point. Really enjoyed it though.
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 5

mtbr member
    Starting a new job last month has left me little time to bike. I work 11:30-7 and am just exhausted at night and still too tired in the morning to get a ride in. I also got a ear infection a couple weeks ago that is still nagging on so just haven't been in the mood. I am going to try this week though for sure. It has been a rainy summer for us this year but its suppose to be somewhat decent during the middle of this week.

Co Springs
    3 miles of picking out sandy gravel path and trail this morning with a few hills and moderate climbs. Def happy to be able to get out on the heels of some rain though.

Forgot how 58 degrees can feel so warm and muggy but we had it today.

mtbr member

Got to test out the new brakes. MAN what a difference.

And now that I'm getting more confident going faster I think it's finally time to replace this fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just serviced my epicon.. Gonna go ride tomorrow

mtbr member

This

2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

29ers Forever
    Today I went on a group ride with the guys from Mason Racing at the Boston Lot in Lebanon New Hampshire. Those trails were rooty and rocky, and the rain yesterday made them wet. But I kept up with the pro level riders until the very end, but my bike was not set up for those trails and I wasn't able to keep up enough momentum for my tall gearing to work and I kept slipping. But it was a fine ride altogether.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

This is where I usually go on the weekdays

Page 93 of 106 FirstFirst ... 43 83 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 103 ... LastLast