1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 7 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I rode carvins cove in roanoke va. I think that is my new favorite place to ride. Cant wait to go back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Bought a new used bike today but its a little hard to handle.. Its a mountaincycle 9.5 shockwave. Im trying to tune it to my desired comfort but its very hard. Tried it out a few times but it can never go up for a long period :P Guess whats what you get for a heavy downhill bike ehh?? haha

mtbr Beginner
    Once again, after an injury (this time bruised ribs) I finally got back on my bike today. Its only been 2-3 wks but I was dying to ride again. Only did a few miles but I felt soooo happy to ride!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    RCA trails in Rocky Point, NY. Did about 6 miles today with wife and 2 kids.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Managed to get in a 8.5 miles in after work @ deer park in NJ

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Had my worst ride yet. My son & I took the bikes down to a local trail. Pretty rocky, but we've been on it several times before. Unfortunately, I've been working about 70-80 hours a week for the last month and probably was way too worn down to properly tackle this trail. Crashed within the first 10 minutes (sloppiness on my part, clipped a tree with my bar). Constantly dabbing in spots I rarely had to before. Went down again within another 10 minutes. Lack of focus, tired mind, tired legs, tired arms. Bad combination. My son was pretty much leaving me in the dust, but just couldn't seem to pick up the pace. At about the farthest point from the trailhead, something felt wrong on the back end. Hopped off & saw the back tire almost completely flat. Tried to air it up to see if it would hold air. No dice... No spare tube. No more riding for the night. Son finally rode back & found me walking the bike. Sent him on ahead and ended up walking about 2 1/4 rock-strewn miles back to the car. Treated myself to Starbucks on the way home. Only redeeming feature of the whole evening. Better luck next time I hope.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I upgraded my tires. I had the factory specialized tires on it, and bought Kenda Nevegal 2.35 and put on it. Let me tell you I was riding stuff I normally wouldn't touch. I was riding up rocks and taking corners with no problem. But holy crap those tires wear me out. I can't understand how something so minor as changing the tires can make such a huge difference in how much strength it takes to ride. I also felt like I was riding really slow. But since I prefer more technical stuff, I am thinking once I get used to them they are going to work out a lot better for me than the other tires did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Rode my daily 10 miles through the city i've been keeping up with for the past month. Yesterday I fixed a flat!

mtbr member
    Took a spill on a low-speed, off-camber and rooted hairpin that's been defying me for months. Dab city. Thankfully, pine needles lubricated the slide.

Picked up a Titus Pluto low-riser in town and ordered stem for same. Ok, "stems"; deciding on a stem fitment is like picking an ice cream, I swear.
    Gunnar Rockhound - Hardtails in Reynolds 853 and True Temper OX Platinum are still a great idea.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This morning I converted my GF's bike from Gorilla Tubeless back to tubes & added slime. Wheels were stock Spesh/Alex & I couldn't get the rear to stop leaking. On my bike I added a 50/50 Slim & Stan's mix. We are going for a night ride in the desert in a few hours.

mtbr member
    Not much sadly, aside from wipe my bike down and add some air to the tires. I have been feeling crappy the last few days and today it was 100 by 8am. Maybe tomorrow morning if the storms were supposed to get hold off.

mtbr member
    20 kms of tight singletrack
    Was great!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Bought my first MTB today, actually 2 bikes. One for me, a Specialized Hardrock and one for the wife, a Specialized Myka. I rode it up and down the road for a total of about 6 miles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I got 14 stitches from a crash >:-(

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Researching like mad to find the perfect bike, Looking forward to posting pictures from my first ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ouch!!

mtbr member
    Installed new 11-34 cassette, brake pads, and rotor.

mtbr member
    Rode 6 miles of slightly muddy singletrack. It was a blast.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I rode 4.5 miles on slightly muddy, and the rocky section of Hillendale. Still trying to get used to the fattires. Loving the ability to ride everything and ride in the mud with no problems especially around corners. It is just really killing me how quickly I get tired. I usually ride 9 miles before feeling like I need a break. I have only gotten around 4 miles the last couple of days. I am hoping it is just riding a different area. No up and down like riding in the mountains so no downhill recovery like usual. Otherwise I am like a noob all over again. All weak and slow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Sunday ride

I rode 22 miles through Philly...rode the trails in Wissahickon...then rode to Kelly drive...to downtown...rode past Rocky...chilled for a minute at Love Park...then headed home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I rode another 5 miles or so on paved pathways with my daughter. She's only 5 so its kind of a good thing for me to take it easy and get more familiar tp my new bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Practiced bunnyhops in the driveway, I think I managed to get the back 2 inches off the ground.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Raced the root 66 Hodges village dam. First timers div. And came in 2nd

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    A quick 15k this morning on the local trails near my house. Was trying to beat the heat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    upgraded brakes to elixir cr's, lowered spacers, and bought a lizardskin chainstay protector
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-asdasd.jpg  

Page 7 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast