1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 6 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast
    undercover brother
    Had the best ride of my life last night. Everything just clicked. Cleared a line of table tops as smooth as melted butter on top a pick ol' pile of flapjacks...yea. Of course, I had a fall (or two) but its all part of the fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    just looked at it since we hit another record temp of 100 deg f. again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    just looked at it since we hit another record temp of 100 deg f. again.
    for the past two weeks its been 99 and up every day with 80% or more humidity here. haha.

just had Three big rains though and if its dry tomorrow morning im gonna go ride in 70 degree morning air

Master Shredder
    Had my first ride in about 3-4 years on my new (Used) Trek 4300 with my little brother (His first ride ever). Went on a short, technical trail near me. I'm BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hit a short rocky trail in about 95+ degree temps with my son tonight. Was up way too early this morning, not enough food (I guess) during the day and hot, muggy conditions so I was a hurtin' unit at the end of the ride. Had my Camelbak and tried to stay hydrated but ended up flat on my back in the trailhead parking lot while my son loaded the backs on the rack for the trip back home. Yes... he's a good son! Thinking I'll probably take tomorrow off from the trails... another 100+ day forecast for tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What did You do today on your mountain bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1342670262911.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Making due...
    Stared at the stripped frame and took inventory of my growing pile of parts for the Raleigh build.

- Shimano Deore LX M572 Holllowtech Crankset
    - Shimano BBES-25 Octalink Bottom Bracket
    - Shimano Alivio 8 Speed Shifter / Brake Lever Combo with Cables
    - Easton EA50 110mm Stem
    - Felt 640mm Aluminum Riser Bar
    - Mavic 221 Rear Wheel with Shimano Deore LX Parallax Hub and SRAM 8 Speed Cassette
    - Hayes MX4 Mechanical Disc Brake with 160mm “Fear Factor” Rotor
    - eBay Chinese Lock On Grips with Red Anodized Lock Rings (not bad for $8)
    - Red “Venzo” Neoprene Chainstay Protector
    - Red Raleigh Frame Decals (for more speed)
    1991 Trek 830 Antelope (Commuter/Street/Paved Trail Duty)
    2006 Raleigh Mojave "Lager" Hardtail (XC Budget Build)

mtbr member
    Ordered a set of Cont Trail Kings and the DT Swiss UST kit, cant wait to make the switch.

I also went for a ride earlier but that ended quickly, snapped the rear derailleur off after 2 or 3 jumps.. Crossing my fingers that the shop can get it back to me before my work week returns : /

mtbr member
    Went for a twelve mile power line ride on my Superfly 100. Almost got run over three times by the same two dizzy chicks driving some kind of four wheel vehicle way to fast and with reckless abandon. The passenger actually took pictures of me with her phone.

Gcappy
    Full Tilt Fitting Oswego NY

mtbr member
    i rode 22 miles today on mine was great gotta love a 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I trimmed my bars by 1 1/2"

mtbr member
    Rode clipless for the first time....also crashed for the first time (yes the two are related )
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    I took it for its first ride on trails at monte bello loved it

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Rode out farther than usual for me, about seven miles (I'm still a beginning rider). Then got way over-heated due to my overkill of a helmet and ended up having a bad ride.

mtbr member
    Did my first jumps over logs, stumps, rocks, drop-offs and NEVER fell or crashed!! The irony is I fell a couple of times on easy parts of the trail. Go figure. No matter the ride was awesome as always.

Where: Hurkey Creek, Hemet, CA

GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Well, Sunday is a regular work day in my part of the world, so no ride for me today. Instead, I bled a hydro brake first time. Loss of virginity went pretty smoothly, I didn't even make a mess in my storage room. Quite a success (and a big sigh of relief, I hate works that take patience and precision).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice photo. I'm from that area or thereabouts. Good ol' SoCal. How are you liking that Forte Classic saddle? Mine is a huge upgrade from the numbing stock saddle. The price was right too.

We rode the trails around here early, quick 6 mile out and back. It's going to be 103 here today.

Quote Originally Posted by henmar77 View Post
    Did my first jumps over logs, stumps, rocks, drop-offs and NEVER fell or crashed!! The irony is I fell a couple of times on easy parts of the trail. Go figure. No matter the ride was awesome as always.

mtbr member
    Did this today, the best climb I've done so far, so of course, the best descend so far.

“You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    Nice photo. I'm from that area or thereabouts. Good ol' SoCal. How are you liking that Forte Classic saddle? Mine is a huge upgrade from the numbing stock saddle. The price was right too.

We rode the trails around here early, quick 6 mile out and back. It's going to be 103 here today.
    Seat is great. The gooch relief cut out really works great. and it has nice give.

Im actually from Chino but i have a friend that lives in Hemet so i go out there to ride. The weather wasnt to bad yesterday but still hot. great ride though. I like Hurkey more then the Hub. Do you go there often? I dont go very often and when we go its usually on sat. However, we are considering doing Sun. mornings too. maybe ill see you out there sometime.
    GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by henmar77 View Post

im jealous of your bike and that trail.
    soon as i get my full time job, a GT force 1 or 2 will be on my list
    it looks sick. i crave a trail that last more than ten miles here. most trails in my area are only 5-10 miles and go up and down constantly. its deff a work out, but i'd love to have some trails like CA, UT, and CO have

mtbr member
    Nice ride with my wife at one of the only decent trail systems in Chicagoland.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edirty6 View Post
    im jealous of your bike and that trail.
    soon as i get my full time job, a GT force 1 or 2 will be on my list
    it looks sick. i crave a trail that last more than ten miles here. most trails in my area are only 5-10 miles and go up and down constantly. its deff a work out, but i'd love to have some trails like CA, UT, and CO have
    Cant say enough about the bike. you will not be disappointed. PM me if you have any questions about it.
    GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpledesign View Post
    Random stuff along the trail from today

heeeeeeeeeeey me and my son know where that is we ride at that park every now and then i was going to take picks of those last time we were out but forgot the camera
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Today I finished the Rapha Rising challenge on my Surly Ogre. Took it out and did hill repeats across cobblestones, broken pavement, a little light trails and the like to clock up the last chunk of climbing. I'd used it to complete the entire challenge, because someone at work complained that their bike was too heavy to do it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    havent had time to upload. got to ride last sunday and took few pics, Going tomorrow as well, maybe the same place, this trail is freaking awesome. the climb up sucks, but going down was the most fun ive had this month due to work schedule.

Page 6 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast