Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Bike ride in the hills.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Went down to the local skate park and did some waist high drops.

mtbr member
    Went riding with friends at Ringwood...broke my chain in the trail. Borrowed friend's Yeti 575 to ride back to the parking lot to get the chain breaker, then performed repair on the trail...had a blast afterwards. Longest ride we did (4.5 hours) because of that on-trail repair.

On wuss patrol
    Nothing on the bike but I did some winter maintenance trail work to keep the local park trails in shape to ride when wet.

Spend a few hours every month or 2 on your local trails. Give back. Represent the mtb community well. You'll thank yourself.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

banned
    Sep 2012

Went OTB..

Riding down the Luge (local trail):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    Riding down the Luge (local trail):
    what part? Im riding there tomorrow and id like to avoid your line lol.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCapps View Post
    what part? Im riding there tomorrow and id like to avoid your line lol.
    It was on the bottom section. It wasn't a real technical part actually, I was just trying to loosen up after clearing the real rutty areas and caught my front wheel then did a nice OTB onto my head. Chit happens. Have fun tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    "What did You Wish do today on your mountain bike?"

All of the above

mtbr member
    Hit my local trail. Ill miss it in a few months when I leave here, but that and the LBS are about the only things worth attention at this place. Forgive the cellular-phone like quality. These images were captured by a cellular phone...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-536702_432766943439808_515451363_n.jpg  

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-311109_432767263439776_1655563367_n.jpg  

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-550749_432767050106464_1119357905_n.jpg  

"Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It was on the bottom section. It wasn't a real technical part actually, I was just trying to loosen up after clearing the real rutty areas and caught my front wheel then did a nice OTB onto my head. Chit happens. Have fun tomorrow!
    Gotcha. well, I made it through without any OTB's. On the way up the mud was very slick and kinda worried me about the downhill. I was surprised at just how well my tires did even when they were fully caked. I ended up going much faster then I had planned to be able to. Riding a hardtail with flats I lost my footing and now I will be extending my pins to full cheese grader setting lol. It was fun and the group I went with made it even better.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Gotcha. well, I made it through without any OTB's. On the way up the mud was very slick and kinda worried me about the downhill. I was surprised at just how well my tires did even when they were fully caked. I ended up going much faster then I had planned to be able to. Riding a hardtail with flats I lost my footing and now I will be extending my pins to full cheese grader setting lol. It was fun and the group I went with made it even better.
    You guys climbed up it then rode back down? We took Santiago Truck Trail up the down the luge. Anyways, glad you had fun! It's a great trail and the reason I fell was me being a dummy and not paying enough attention in a not so technical spot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You guys climbed up it then rode back down? We took Santiago Truck Trail up the down the luge. Anyways, glad you had fun! It's a great trail and the reason I fell was me being a dummy and not paying enough attention in a not so technical spot.
    Bare with me as I don't know the area well. We parked at cooks corner and rode up the street till we reached a dirt trail. All I know is it was a lot of uphill to reach the flag lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Did 18 miles in the mountains of Southwest Virginia!!!

mtbr member
    Rode for about 2 hours today on the trails around my town..saw lots of people, most of which were college students (I am one as well.) Got lots of compliments on my new fuel ex, and had a blast bombing down some of the steeper single track.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Rode an hour and a half Sat and then was getting ready to ride yesterday afternoon and noticed a nice rip in the sidewall of my rear tire! So went to the LBS (only one that was open), bought a new tire and replaced it. Now I have a specialized rear tire with a rapid rob on the front...on a scott bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rode 42 miles on the Nickel Plate Trail!

Nickel Plate Trail - YouTube
    Last edited by zephxiii; 11-19-2012 at 05:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Usual Tuesday morning ride, seemed tough today. Installed ergon GS1 grips. Tried to move brakes inboard so I can switch from middle finger to index finger braking. Didn't work so if we cross paths I swear I'm using my brakes and not flipping you off lol.

mtbr member
    Burned off all of my Thanksgiving calories before I ate them. 13 miles of very gnarly singletrack! Beautiful morning for a ride!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Earned my first beer and worked up an appetite by going for a quick 5 mile ride.. decent climbing involved though. Happy Thanksgiving!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My bike is tore own to frame only, I stared at it thinkning of the shinny new parts that will be on it in the spring. does that count?
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    11.6 miles of fun. Proved that I need new tires when both washed out on me at once. Thankful to whoever built the hump that kept me from going over the side of the trail lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nothing, I've done absolutely nothing an I'm having withdraws!!! I can't wait till tomorrow!

mtbr member
    15 miles/65 and clear at Settlers Ridge. Fun, fast and surprisingly empty! I still enjoyed the ride!

Village Newbie
    Made my trek across the desert, I ran across trails that I didnt know about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Test ride my new (like new used) Stumpjumper Comp HT 2009 for 2.5 miles around the neighborhood. I walked out of the bike several times in attempts to do a wheeli. Huge difference between my old Trek 820 ST and this beauty.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Busted fork.. Hopefully I can pick up new parts today...

Edit Fixed the fork, a spring broke in 2 spots but it had 5K miles on it though. Riding tomorrow!!
    Last edited by OscarW; 11-23-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Holiday!!!

Riding on thanksgiving Slid out on the way down when my front wheel went too far out on the edge of a turn and dug onto loose ground. Afterwards, slammed my right arm onto a tree trying to go somewhat fast

mtbr member

Took my new bike for a ride. So far, I'm loving the way it handles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Smile

I was testing out the new brakes... all the way over the handlebars...
    all in all, good day.

mtbr member
    This. Season is wrapping up unfortunately. Frozen drivetrain was the order of the day. Still great ride.

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1353888222381.jpg  

Last edited by phoenixnr; 11-25-2012 at 05:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Went on a ride to check out the local, umm... art.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    im still out of the fun waiting for my next paycheck so that i can hopefully buy a new fork. i can't remember if i put it on here but bout a month and half ago. was riding on the local college 4x track and was practicing some smaller jumps. came down hard on the front shocks and the top part that holds the springs in flew off and the spring shot out. scare the crap out of me. hopefully getting some Fox Vanilla forks to replace the garbage suntours that were on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Put in 15 miles on the trails around my house and spent yesterday laid up with a sinus infection.

Good news is that the underarmor cold gear shirt really does keep you nice and warm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Edirty6 View Post
    im still out of the fun waiting for my next paycheck so that i can hopefully buy a new fork. i can't remember if i put it on here but bout a month and half ago. was riding on the local college 4x track and was practicing some smaller jumps. came down hard on the front shocks and the top part that holds the springs in flew off and the spring shot out. scare the crap out of me. hopefully getting some Fox Vanilla forks to replace the garbage suntours that were on it.
    That sux! I'll find myself hauling arse down a trail and about 1/2 way down I remember the videos ive seen of cheap forks breaking on youtube, and I remember that I too have a suntour. So I slow down lol.

mtbr member
    That sux! I'll find myself hauling arse down a trail and about 1/2 way down I remember the videos ive seen of cheap forks breaking on youtube, and I remember that I too have a suntour. So I slow down lol.
    I know right

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i installed my xt rear Deraileur WITHOUT using a stand!!!!!

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    I smash my suntour NVX fork on the trails and it never showed any signs of coming close to breaking. But I guess I should go a less hard on my fork.not. But srsly, don't want another mechanical...
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Attempted to remove my rear wheel on my Giant Faith only to discover the last time it was serviced the mechs have tightened up the rear axle on one side such that I can't seem to get it off. First free weekend in months and it looks like I won't be able to ride, at least no where fun as it won't fit in my car with wheels attached.

The drive side nut comes off no worries. The other side is clamped on to the frame tight and wont let go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    I smash my suntour NVX fork on the trails and it never showed any signs of coming close to breaking. But I guess I should go a less hard on my fork.not. But srsly, don't want another mechanical...
    dont get me wrong the fork feels solid and honestly works perfectly. The spring seems to be just right for my weight and ive never needed more travel. But last week I noticed the pesky warning label telling me its meant for lil stuff only. So when your like 4 ft in the air that and the videos cross your mind lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sat and stared at it... busy working... no riding... boo... :-(

mtbr member
    nearly did a superman over the bars riding through a thirty foot long, deep muddy puddle, near the end my front wheel sank 18 inches............lol

mtbr member
    Took the Jamis out for our maiden voyage.

no trees are safe
    I was fine tuning my rear der. for about an hour. Shifts like a dream in any conditions now though!
    Last edited by Millfox; 11-27-2012 at 06:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I rode about 10 miles on a perfect black squiggle bordered by blinding white snow under a full moon. It was awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle Logical View Post
    I rode about 10 miles on a perfect black squiggle bordered by blinding white snow under a full moon. It was awesome.
    Wow I am jealous, sounds like an awesome ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    dont get me wrong the fork feels solid and honestly works perfectly. The spring seems to be just right for my weight and ive never needed more travel. But last week I noticed the pesky warning label telling me its meant for lil stuff only. So when your like 4 ft in the air that and the videos cross your mind lol.

you should have rode on my previous forks, you wouldnt hit anything more than 6 inches off the ground.

if you had someone hold onto the lowers really tight, and you pushed on the handle bar, there was a good 30-35mm gap between the stanchions and the lowers. and yet i pushed the limits on it until it did break. and when it did break. bricks were shat. lol

if your doing jumps that high and you wanna consider a new fork just for jumping, the marzocchi DJ dart forks are on sale at pricepoint.com right now. here's a link
    Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 3 Fork 2012 at Price Point

that one being a base model, and then they have others with the QR, and 20mm TA as well for just a few bucks more. I actually, am buying my forks from pricepoint as well when i get paid next week, after that, im upgrading all my components to the SRAM x-9 build kit they have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well, changed the rear tube for the first time, and the installation was disastrous. I didn't figure out the way I have to attach the chainwheel to the chain, and now I have a front der. that needs adjustment, and let's hope nothing else. I wish I learned that on my old bike, put never had a flat on the rear tire on her!

At this time, with the load of paper, no riding that counts, unfortunately.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I noticed some very suspicious oil residue near the rebound adjuster on my 318 domains right lower.

mtbr member
    Put on new rotors, which dropped some weight. Very high bling factor also.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member

10 miles, loving this bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    still lazy to clean after 3mths weekly riding dirt~
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    This was last week. Awesome ride. Snow smoothed out the trail and everything was frozen underneath. Fast quiet and surreal.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1354483566961.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    20 miles at Brown County State Park, 26 miles yesterday. (Didn't ride Schooner though )

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1354498723887.jpg  

'12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp
    '9x Spec' Hardrock Cromo rigid

mtbr member
    ^ In Indiana?? Used to live near Bargersville many years ago...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    bought an Easton MonkeyBar 2cm riser bar today

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Did the front hub yesterday, today its the rear's turn to get overhauled

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixnr View Post
    This was last week. Awesome ride. Snow smoothed out the trail and everything was frozen underneath. Fast quiet and surreal.

Lovely. Used to ride solo in Chicago at Palos Forest when I was in grad school. I remember my first solo snow ride well, as I was coming from Southern California. Got lost, of course, and had visions of Survivorman with me stuck in the snow somewhere.

Got out alive, of course.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Saw my bike go sliding across the pavement as I was going too fast around a wet turn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    fitted hydraulic brakes in the front, and took my bike for a few meters in the snow

banned
    Sep 2012
    Modified my head tube so that I could install a tapered fork:

-S

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I tried to go on a nice long ride today. But 2 miles in this happened to my chain...so I walked home. Picking up some MissingLinks tomorrow.

NOOB
    Nov 2012
    lets see i ordered alot of new S**T lol

mtbr member
    Washed it off washing my car.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I Ordered new forks. Manitou Tower Pro.

My Brain Hurts!
    Swapped the 1.95 Tioga tires out for Bontrager XR2's in 2.10. Got the pair of tires
    for $15 (new) at The Milwaukee Bike Swap last Sunday. Need better performance
    in the sand and am hoping the less aggressive tread than the 2.10 Nevegals that
    came with the bike and the wider width than the Tiogas that were on the bike now
    is the ticket.

Tomorrow I am gonna go run the bike at a local trail to see how they work in the
    root strewn, sand and loose gravel, rocks, loam, and hardpack that exists there....
    I will run em in the sand next trip....unless there is 3 feet of snow...

Before

After

And dig that crazy sculpted orange shag carpet and dark paneling! Yes folks, it is
    1978 in my house....
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 12-05-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby View Post

And dig that crazy sculpted orange shag carpet and dark paneling! Yes folks, it is
    1978 in my house....
    Complete with the Dual-Cassette unit.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutgyr View Post
    Complete with the Dual-Cassette unit.
    You saw that huh? That stereo is older than my oldest son! I run my computer output through it so I can play along to music with my bass guitars.

Rock and Roll!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    switched from 105mm to 80mm stem and went for a ride. Saw improvement but might want to go even shorter.

I4NI
    Today I rotated my tires.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member

Went for an evening ride in the hills.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Not a god damn thing! Still looking at buying the first mb. No it won't be nice.. But I will love her so much.

mtbr member
    towed the munchkin around in the trailer on the ole rail trail & around the local minor league ball park - short ride but she seemed to enjoy it

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sent my bike to get powder coated and got my box of goodies from Chain Reaction Cycles and waiting for my other order to come in at my LBS, bikes going to be all new except forks and frame.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Village Newbie
    I popped my rear tire in a rock garden, Stans took forever to seal a 1/8" hole. I got to use my Co2 inflator which was cool, but on the way out of the garden I lost it on the trail. didnt realize it until I was at the trail head, I had to go back and get it because I still needed more air to make it home. Think the Specialized 2bliss tire casing saved my butt even at less than 10psi it still wouldn't burp or roll of the rim.

notes to remember, puncture a tire 10 times with thorns be sure to refill with sealant before riding again . upon refilling the tire I noticed 2 more large thorns in the rear tire, 1 sidewall and 1 on the edge of the tread/sidewall.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Took my new GT Sensor 9r Elite out for it's first test ride after final assembly. Short ride around the neighborhood streets to check out brakes, shifters, seat height, etc. This was my first online bike purchase, and since I still consider myself a noob, I wanted to be close to home for this ride... Just in case. So far so good. Hope the weather will cooperate at least one more time to allow an actual trail ride this year.

mtbr member
    Did 10.7 miles on the Jamis Dakar, did it in 1:42, my best time yet, it was a 1000 ft climb on a fire road, rode my fav rocky technical trail, then rode down some smooth flowy singletrack, best ride to date! And sorry no pics I was busy getting my @$$ kicked by the 1000 ft climb, it was also my furthest/highest climb to date.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Bike around the neighborhood and then went online to shop for some bargains on parts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Fell. Like a lot lol.

Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Received my Mavic Crossmax 29ST wheels and a RockShox SID RCT3 dual air. Can't wait to install them and ride!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    today for the sport of mountain biking I...

Got a camelback LOBO, some shimano mtb shoes, some shimano spd M540's, a lizard skin chainstay protector. and even had time to squeeze in a ride. but it was super muddy and the nine line tires didn't want to grab any form of traction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I moved to a new town a month ago, I'm determined to get back into MTBing so I took my 01 jekyll out for a spin and did alittle bit of scouting to find potential trails or riding areas.

So far I've just about come up dry, I found some old BMX jumps that were look like they were not touched in 3-5 years. The area is SMALL but could give me a nice close to home trail to test changes before a ride.

It also pushed me over the edge to upgrade some of the components on the bike. The Deore Brakes make a perfect turkey call and have horrid stopping power. the crank has a creak in it and no matter how much I adjusted the deralier it does not keep gears very well. I've got BB7's and the X9 drivetrain group on the way. I'm still looking to grab another lefty wheelset or a road bike for cheap.

mtbr member
    not today (today is bike trainer day) but last night I went out for my first night right...
    talk about a blast

mtbr member
    Tackled a moderately steep hill.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Today I sat helplessly at work as I received an email from FedEx saying that they attempted to drop off my new bike but were unable to because there was no one to sign for it. Gonna be the same story tomorrow

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i pumped air in the tires. gonna ride it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Jut got my bbg bash guard. Trvativ HOLZFELLER SL HANDLEBAR and RACE FACE DEUS XC STEM

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    broke a 13t cog.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Did 6 miles on some trails near the house. Good day!

mtbr member
    I did my first 20 mile ride today. It was a blast and was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just cleaned it is all.. =(

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ordered some ebay night riding lights bout a week ago. beginning to order everything i need to rebuild my hardtail. new fork, deciding on X9 build kit or to order shimino xt parts separate. new seat, grips, Flat Downhill pedals and some 5-tens to go with them, and some Maxxis tires. and then i'll start getting new riding gear as well. hopefully all this done before early spring gets here so i can go ride. because 27 degree weather just isnt my cup of tea right now

mtbr member
    Ordered a BBG Bashguard. Time to get rid of my 42t bent and broken chainring.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Went on my first snow ride today, with my son. Good conditions for our first time on the snow. Mid-40’s, about an inch of snow, but had a few stretches of sloppy mud as well. I had my FS 29er, and he had his Mamba 29er hardtail. Swapped bikes for awhile and could really tell a difference between his 2.2 Bonties and my 2.1 Maxxis Aspens though. I'll definitely take my Mamba next time. Had an absolute blast and can't wait to go out and play in the snow again!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

first bike wash

first bike wash after being rejected by couple of lbs for checking/brake pads replacement from after trailed rides, this i cant understand whats the theory behind servicing bikes with some dirt~ dont these bike shops provide cleaning services?! i dont even mind paying extras!

never been a cleaning person so planned of using 30mins but ended up over an hour and still not clean~ really tough doing it.

couldnt go on and lubed chain/cassettes/crank/RD with leftover castrol & brush~
    Attached Images Attached Images     

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by primussucks View Post
    Did this today, it was in the mid to high 90s, but this was mostly in the shade, but still when I stopped for whatever reason, it was HOT...

What do you use to track your rides?

banned
    Sep 2011
    Did a town-to-town road ride with a nice ex railroad bed shortcut. Mud and spots of snow on it...

I did around 32 miles all together.

mtbr member
    Nothing today

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    I test fitted the Reba fork to my '08 RH Disc.

That made your ride feel brand new all over again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Drooled at pictures of it online, as it hasn't gotten here yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    rode saratoga gap trail in CA

Last edited by bob13bob; 12-27-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3