1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 53 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 103 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2613
    mtbr member
    I think I finally got my rear brake to quit dragging.

Hope to ride it tomorrow to confirm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    rode 1km to the train station for the commute to work...and flatted 200m from the station. spent 40min on the hour 30 trip into the city changing my innertube. all fixed then on the way home stopped off at parramatta sydney to pick up a spare innertube and co2 canister to replace what I used today.
    the old innertube was a write off as the rubber had split at the base of the valve

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajaguars View Post
    I think I finally got my rear brake to quit dragging.

Hope to ride it tomorrow to confirm.
    Was it a rim brake or disk?
    Both my Cobia(disk) and F9(rim) have dragging brakes. I keep trying to fix the F9, with mixed results.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

mtbr member
    Disc.

To be fair, I screwed them up twice. First on install, i squeezed the lever per Avid's instructions, but a little too much.

Second time I had the wheel out and went to grab the front brake instead of the back. Pads touched and it has never been right since.

What I did was loosen the bleed screw on the caliper and put the pad spacer in. It forced a bit of the fluid out and allowed the pads to retract just enough that I think I am no longer also overcoming the brakes. It felt a LOT easier to pedal around the backyard.

If you do this, turn that screw out just enough to get the slightest bit of fluid to bleed. Anymore than that and you run the risk of letting air into the system.

mtbr member
    TODAYíS RIDE
    I set out on one of my usual routes down the road a half mile to the power line trail. Hang a left and you go towards the power plant, hang a right and you go towards, well towards nowhere. I must have had my route already set in my mind because without giving it any consideration I turned left and hit the gravel at speed. I was on my 29er trail bike but it didnít matter what bike I was on. All I thought was Iím riding my bike on this beautiful day all alone and I was free! I was listening to my wifeís i-pod which I donít normally do but today I decided to have some music. The only other people I ever see out there are four wheelers and today would be no different. I had a young guy come up from behind very fast and cut off on a side trail and on the way back an old guy giving his very young granddaughter a ride. As I rolled along keeping cadence with the music I wondered how many other people are doing something they love right now. It wasnít about the speed I kept or how far I went. For one segment in time I was suspended between the two ends of the route I was on. As long as I stayed out there riding with the music playing I was free of every other demand and commitment in my life. I got to my turn around and took a moment to have an energy bar and look at the now empty Osprey nest nearby. I had watched the parent Osprey protect and care for the young that grew there until they flew out on their own all summer long. I could feel the season change coming in the air already and my natural reaction to shun it. Slowly I remounted and started back. I took my time in some spots and even some detours to check out areas previously uncharted. At one point I climbed a huge slippery hill, then wondered who would ever find me if I crashed on the decent. No worries as I made it down just fine, as if something could go wrong on this day! I kept on my ride/tour and rediscovered some areas I had not been to in a while. Somehow they looked different, new even. As I got back to the main trail to head back I was beginning to tire, but it was sweet. The last sections of the trail are fast and so was the music. I was pushing hard and jamming with the beat. Through the water crossing and as my foot entered the water I was again reminded by the cold that fall is here. Up the hill on the other side and back on my pace. One more section between two roads and I hit the start point of the ride. Just as I finished the ride Bon Jovi said his last, (Have a Nice Day).

mtbr member
    ^ I read all that fully expecting an "and all of a sudden out of nowhere..." LOL. Sounds like a great ride.
    GTA
    Ontario

oį<o NYC pebble jumper!
    I put air in my suspension... That's all. Probably go for a ride tomorrow afternoon.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    3.75 mile, early morning ride. When I made it back to the trail head (parking lot of local state park), the local Thunderbird car club was there for a picnic. Got to see some nice T-Birds.

Two Wheeled Terror
    Scared the crap out of myself.

Went down a steep incline and didn't see that after a little flat part there was a good 2' drop. Never did any drops before and since I'm not in the hospital its safe to assume that my bike laughed at me and took it like a champ lol.

Beamed from my dumbphone

29ers Forever
    Crashed. On the first corner after the trailhead. Maybe a 20 degree turn that was very smooth. Took a chip out of the paint and bloodied my knee up. Proceeded to ride 6 miles at Pine Hill Park, including my first ride on Halfpipe.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It's been a hot and humid east coast summer. Only road MTB a handful of times a month in July and August. Went to Rockburn Skill Park for some fun practice yesterday. Stepped up to the intermediate run and I didn't go flying off on the jumps, though it was close a few times. Getting better and got some baby air....

mtbr member
    Adjusted brakes and shifters. Pulled cranks to clean all the mud and gunk off. Cleaning the wheelset. Will probably check to makes sure the Stan's hasn't dried out.

Got my 1st 6 hour race next weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    Scared the crap out of myself.

Went down a steep incline and didn't see that after a little flat part there was a good 2' drop. Never did any drops before and since I'm not in the hospital its safe to assume that my bike laughed at me and took it like a champ lol.

Beamed from my dumbphone
    Did similar things today, including dropping some rocks while coming fast on a flowy section.Had I been coming slowly, I would've thought twice before committing. Well, it wasn't that scary, but I surprised my self.

I rode some trails for the first time, and met a great guy going to the same route. Though I must've slowed him down a bit, he was very helpful showing me the trail. Thanks Steve!

While the trails have some walker sections, the remaining sections were challenging and entertaining at the same time. I ended up having a flat in the front tire, which explained the three almost washouts at the end of the ride.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Went through some fairly easy trails and worked on my cornering and braking techniques and my form. Think I made some improvements . Watching videos on youtube works wonders.

ragley blue pig x

Re: What did You do today on your mountain bike?

asd
    Last edited by manbat; 09-17-2013 at 03:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Went to an mountain biking skills class today sponsored by CORBA. All in all it was a very good class. Somethings I was doing already, they showed us some climbing techniques as well as the three L's. Low, Look and Loose.

vbx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I upgraded my bike with the Shimano XT groupset (front and rear derailleur, cassette, chain, crank, etc etc.). Replaced my cheap fork with another cheapy (Raidon XC with remote lock), new rim with Shimano hubs, new pedals (the previous one cut my leg up pretty bad).

All in all, I spent over $700 plus $150 to install all this.

But the ride is now smooth as butter.

I then gave away my old parts via craigslist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Woke up early. Got my first mountain bike yesterday and went riding today with friends at Sherman Branch in Charlotte NC. Knew beforehand I wouldn't be able to keep up and told them to have fun and I would catch up or meet back at the car. Took my time and got used to my new (used) bike. Had a great time flying through some berms (although I was probably not going that fast it felt like warp speed), did a few small jumps (totally raged six inches of air), got winded and walked up a few hills taking in the scenery (saw a cool spider starting his web for the day) and drank more water than I usually do. Got a great work out. Probably rode for and hour or two.

Came home and chilled out, had some chicken legs and broccoli for diner, now I'm having some random beers out of this New Belgium mix box.

It was a good day. Back to work tomorrow. Can't wait to go riding in the woods again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I went on my first bike trails today after replacing my street tires with knobby tires on my Trek 820 yesterday.
    It was exhilarating and kinda scary. Fell off a bunch; just scrapes, cuts, and a slight strain of my ankle. I stopped back by the bike shop to ask about the trail (near Lake Kinkaid). It seemed a lot more difficult than I had envisioned mountain biking to be. He said it's one of the more technical trails around Carbondale, IL. Apparently I didn't pay much attention to the website. It was a hell of a lot of fun when I could stay on the bike though. There were lots of twists, small rocks and roots to ride up and over. There was a fork where you could ride along some logs or cut off to the right. Out of enthusiasm, I chose the logs. Somewhat thankfully, I fell off halfway due to incompetence, the remainder looked even scarier, lol.
    Later in the day I went over to the trail at Cedar Lake. Apparently the portion I rode was on the steep hilly half. Too much hiking up and down the hills; I called it a day and rode/hiked back. Apparently it's considered a hiking/equestrian trail according to the sign at the trailhead.

All in all, I loved my time out there today. I can't wait to ride more and hopefully get better.
    Trail info:Shawnee Mountain Bike Association: Home

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I road my mountain bike in a 25 mile road race (actually only 22.5 miles), my first organized ride to this date. I finished 13th out of 26 people finished 22.5 miles in 1:18. ----- on a mountain bike.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Did my first mountain bike race on a mountain bike. Done 2 before but both were on the cyclocross bike. Didn't get last...

29ers Forever
    Took my F9 for a nice short ride at the trails at my house. For these short outings, it is a no brainer NOT to use my 26er. It handles brilliantly and is more "fun" going fast down a wide bumpy dirt road.
    29ers are better climbers and are more fun going fast down long long long trails, where a 26er would eventually tire you out from all of the bumps.

mtbr member
    Rode with the wife for the first time on her new Trek 820. Just on the local bike / walking path and it was more then enough for her.
    1997 Haro Vector V3 - 2003 Giant OCR 3 - 2013 Dawes Haymaker 1500 - 2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I rode mine to GT's Factory Outlet store (in my home town), little did she know (9 year old Mongoose Rockadile ALD Pro) I was on a mission to replace her. I was able to find a GT Karakoram 2.0 29'er 2013 model for $399(msrp $1000), which in my mind was an incredible find. I hope this will be a significant upgrade from my previous ride! I feel like a kid at Christmas!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Did a 10mile ride today and got caught in the rain. I was trying to get in a 15mile road ride before lunch. 20 minutes into it the skies opened up and I got a serious soaking. Have to admit I kind of enjoyed it. I'm trying to shed a few lbs and today was the start of a regiment I hope to keep up at least three times a week.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

Page 53 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 103 ... LastLast