1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast
    Mountain Bikes For Life
    went to ring wood did the blue, ringwood/ramapo, yellow had a good time

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Rode to the start of Cholla trail at Aliso - Woods Canyon. Baby steps.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-mountain-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Got hired today for a full time job!! an all mountain bike is in my future, GT Force 2.0 hopefully

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yesterday, I got my new bike, a 2012 Jamis Durango Comp. Today, I rode it around the parking lot at my apartment complex a few times and got a chainstay protector. Saturday, gonna hit the trails with it for the first time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    What did I do today on my mountain bike? I watched its progress from California to my house via FedEx tracking. Its excruciating. Its been “on the truck ready for delivery” since 7:50am and still hasn’t arrived. Now no one’s at the house and I fear it will have to wait until tomorrow. Patience. It’s a virtue. But I’m SOOOO not virtuous…

As for the other mtn. bike, I admired its fine lines and current bikepacking setup during my lunch break. Then I took the road bike back to work. Eh, life could be worse…

mtbr member
    If 1am counts as earlier today I realized my park tool would remove my crankset. I was getting a noise from that area so I tore the BB out and cleaned and lubed everything. No more noise!

mtbr member
    For the first time in almost 2 years, I finally got a solid trail ride fit in to my busy schedule. After moving across the country and having a new baby girl it was nice to finally get out and ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Rode to my friends house after i left my keys in his truck.

mtbr member
    8k on the trail with the fiancee... Plus a 20k round trip riding there on the road.
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Ended up just riding around town with a friend, first time I've tried clipless pedals.

And, ended up falling over twice coming to a stop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Rode Fairland Regional...fun!!

mtbr member
    Tightened everything down for tomorrow morning.

mtbr member
    Was able to ride up the Boccardo Trail @ Alum Rock park for the first time. Only walked parts of it twice. If it wasn't 95 degrees today I probably could have muscled up the too steep parts. 1 hour to get up and only 10 minutes to get down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb_flare2010 View Post
    For the first time in almost 2 years, I finally got a solid trail ride fit in to my busy schedule. After moving across the country and having a new baby girl it was nice to finally get out and ride.
    con grads to you man. you'll have to get her out there with you in a few years
    always rewarding when you have to wait for so long to ride. it just makes it that much more enjoyable

mtbr member

Lack of Experience

Crashed going between a tight pair of trees. Caught my left grip on the tree, flipped over the right side of the bars, did a summer-salt and landed on my back. I think I broke some ribs, got cuts everywhere and broke my brand new tofosi sun glasses. Going to get an e-ray this morning. Been mnt. biking for two months. This stuff is great!

Gcappy
    Full Tilt Fitting Oswego NY

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ^^

thats love for the sport right there. haha

mtbr member
    Rode it 4 miles,up hill....rear freewheel broke....:thumbdown:

Sent using pony express

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Flipped the bars on a downhill and bent my wheels beyond repair

mtbr member
    I moved it out of the way so I could reach a tool behind it.

Making due...
    Stripped the threads on one of the crank arms trying to pull the non-chainring side off. Then I cross-threaded it trying to get the puller back in, then the crank puller broke...

That crank arm is getting a swift death at the hands of my cutoff wheel this Saturday.
    1991 Trek 830 Antelope (Commuter/Street/Paved Trail Duty)
    2006 Raleigh Mojave "Lager" Hardtail (XC Budget Build)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DuManchu View Post
    Stripped the threads on one of the crank arms trying to pull the non-chainring side off. Then I cross-threaded it trying to get the puller back in, then the crank puller broke...

That crank arm is getting a swift death at the hands of my cutoff wheel this Saturday.
    you shoulda used some PB blaster on it and let it soak on the flanges befor you started trying to pull it off.

i did the same thing to my road bike as you did to yours, now i cant get it off and im afraid to do any thing to it in fear of hurting the frame, or other parts.

i saw the use of pb blaster on my BMW forum and i though it if works for 19 year old car bolts, sure it would work for a bike

Making due...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edirty6 View Post
    you shoulda used some PB blaster on it and let it soak on the flanges befor you started trying to pull it off.

i did the same thing to my road bike as you did to yours, now i cant get it off and im afraid to do any thing to it in fear of hurting the frame, or other parts.

i saw the use of pb blaster on my BMW forum and i though it if works for 19 year old car bolts, sure it would work for a bike
    That's the thing, I soaked the crank arms in PB on Sunday night when I got most of the bike stripped down. Re-sprayed with PB again yesterday and hit the crank arms with the puller when it hit my doorstep today. The drive side came off after some coaxing with the puller and a rubber mallet. The non-drive side, nope. Not happening.

Either way, the crank is junk, I don't mind grinding away a little metal to remove the stupid thing.
    1991 Trek 830 Antelope (Commuter/Street/Paved Trail Duty)
    2006 Raleigh Mojave "Lager" Hardtail (XC Budget Build)

mtbr member
    I changed my first ust tire. I was expecting a little difficulty getting the tire mounted, but the bead set easy with a floor pump the first time. :thumbsup

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Took my Jamis out to the trails for the first time today, got a brake pad spacer for the front, and adjusted the brakes

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My bike is in the shop. My brother rode it and came back with both tires flat. You guys are lucky you have actual trails where you live.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast