1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 34 of 107 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 84 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Ordered a ROCK SHOX RECON GOLD TK AIR , then went for a ride to remind my self how bad the Sunturd really is , cant wait to get it
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have seen deer, wild turkeys and a fox while riding.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    ^ I'm a noob, and it's been cold here, so I haven't been on trails in warm weather yet, but my biggest....probably irrational.....fear is falling, and landing face to face with a snake. *shudders*

I'm no Indiana Jones, but I hate snakes. Someone here posted a video out in AZ with a humongous rattle snake just smack dab in the middle the trail. I almost sold my bike lol. Other animals don't bother me, and we don't have bears in St. Louis, but f'n snakes man....give the creeps.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Treyness View Post
    There was blood everywhere man. I don't know if I'll ever be able to ride again, because the worst part is that when I called the park rangers they told me it happens all the time, and I shouldn't worry about it. They said it was really only safe to ride there with a gun, or bear mace. Just kidding
    I admit: you trolled me so hard, Trey. Good stuff, man.

Riding here in Idaho, I've encountered mule deer, moose, foxes, coyotes, mountain lions, skunks, martens, grouse, pheasant, and one black bear. But no wolves, elk, or grizzlies to date.

The moose always put me on edge, but it's still a thrill to see them--they add a little bonus to the ride.

I forgot to mention the snakes. Only seen one rattler in seven seasons of riding, but I've come across countless bullsnakes, western racers, garters, and my all-time favorite: rubber boas, one of the most amazing species I've ever observed.
    Last edited by hdparrish; 03-26-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: I forgotz da snakes!

mtbr member
    still safer in the woods then in the ghetto
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    Attached my contour roam to the seat tube for a different pov.
    Lake Chabot - Deer Canyon & Redtail Trails MTB - YouTube

mtbr member
    Rode from the Downtown area to Memorial Park, hit the purple trail, tested yellow trail for the first time and back.

mtbr member

Re: What did You do today on your mountain bike?

Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Attachment 784490

New Pedals!!
    Nice! Who makes these?

mtbr member
    May 2010

What did You do today on your mountain bike?

Got my avid hs1 180mm front rotor now waiting for USPS to get here with my front caliper adaptor. Pumped to upgrade that clean sweep 160mm front need a little more power and I am a heavier rider so should help to keep cool and not fade

mtbr member
    May 2010

I am so excited. For riding season this year first season with a full suspension. And love that I picked and built my new ride gives me more appreciation for the sport and for the bike

mtbr member
    finally started riding with better riders. got my ass stomped and taken down some techy rock stuff that provided a good workout for my sphincter muscle

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish View Post
    I admit: you trolled me so hard, Trey. Good stuff, man.

Riding here in Idaho, I've encountered mule deer, moose, foxes, coyotes, mountain lions, skunks, martens, grouse, pheasant, and one black bear. But no wolves, elk, or grizzlies to date.

The moose always put me on edge, but it's still a thrill to see them--they add a little bonus to the ride.

I forgot to mention the snakes. Only seen one rattler in seven seasons of riding, but I've come across countless bullsnakes, western racers, garters, and my all-time favorite: rubber boas, one of the most amazing species I've ever observed.

Enough with the snake talk!!!! Ha. I was a bit drunk, and had a good laugh typing that. I don't know what got in to me. (beer)

Today I rode my all time longest. I just got my bike two weeks ago, and trails are super mushy still. I've been doing about an hour a day....10 miles or so, I always forget to stop the GPS when I take a piss or something.

I rode about 30 miles today. I rode 8 miles to the train, went downtown and rode around with the traffic. Everyone else I saw was riding road bikes, or fixies, but I tore it up lol. My legs hurt. The train is down the river valley and as I'm going about 35mph down having a blast I hit the bottom and realize...Oh ****...I have to go back up later. It was brutal. I'm hurting, but it feels so good. Reminds of those 8 hour days training for basketball season. I'M LOVING THIS SPORT SO FAR!!!!

I had a chicken, bean, pico, and jalapeno burrito on the ride at a Mexican spot downtown, and was about 3 minutes from crapping my pants on the way home. Threw the bike down, disrobed, unloaded, and straight to the shower haha.

reading comprehension wat
    Attempted to learn how to huck and on my first attempt, I landed crooked and crash tested my knee pads for the first time. Continued my ride, not really thinking it hurt enough to stop and check. Now at home, I see that it's a light bruise, but it hurts like hell the muscles around it feel weaker. Now I have to explain a limp with only a wussy bruise to account for, and the very occasional pop when bending my knee.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Broke my mtn bike clipless shoes. Have a ride on Sunday Monday so may have to bite the bullet buy a more expensive pair than I needed just so I can ride this weekend

mtbr member
    Test rode the new front tire and suspension set up. Ordered a set of hydro's that should be in Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Did a quick trail at North Meck to get the legs and heart pumping and back in shape.

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364673922.488419.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010

Going to my house to pick up my Santa Cruz to hit up trails tomorrow morning and Monday!! Just replaced my old broken shoes with specialized mtn comp shoes. Feels super comfy over my bontragers

mtbr member
    Rode some trails... Shot a little video of 1 small section at the end of my day. See the quickie edit below...

Disclaimer: I know I was riding slow... I was bushed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDesertRat View Post
    Rode some trails... Shot a little video of 1 small section at the end of my day. See the quickie edit below...

Disclaimer: I know I was riding slow... I was bushed.
    Nicely done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyk76 View Post
    Nicely done.
    Thanks...

29ers Forever
    The snow has almost completely melted here in Pomfret, VT. Muddy conditions result in muddy bikes. Insane fun though!
    Sorry, no pics.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Mohican short loop today (7 miles would be my guesstimate) a little muddy but felt great getting back out for the year!
    First ride Mohican
    First ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Re: What did You do today on your mountain bike?

First Spring ride on my favorite loop!

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1364775718473.jpg

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just finished up a quick ride at the local trails...saw a couple of the guys from my LBS. One was riding a rigid fixed gear and he flew by me on short but steep climb ...that was a wake up call for me haha. Guess I need to start working out more and ride my bike more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I rushed home from work and threw my bike on the car to take it to the bike shop to get my new fork and pedals put on. I could do the pedals myself but I figure Id have the shop do it since Im getting them to do the fork also. I pull in the parking lot and they are CLOSED. I forgot they are closed Sunday AND Monday. Ill try again tomorrow.

Page 34 of 107 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 84 ... LastLast