1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 33 of 106 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 83 ... LastLast
    Rogue Exterminator
    Not raining on this side of the state yet but it is moving this way.
    Should be sunny tomorrow though.

I will think about you as I go riding tomorrow.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2012

What did You do today on your mountain bike?

Finally, finally got back on dirt again. Heavy snows and rain left me "settling" for road rides. I don't mind keeping the tires spinning on pavement to keep the legs in shape, but nothing beats a good single track ride. Took my nephew and his buddy on their first ride at e Lawrence River Trail. I'm an "older" guy so nephew means mid-20s age in my case. He's a pretty avid roadie and triathlete but rarely rides trails. We're both racing there next weekend so I gave him the tour ride first. Slower pace than normal for me, but they both enjoyed the trail and my nephew got a decent look at the track. Plus I got to try out my new Nobby Nic for the first time on this particular trail. Gotta say, I'm loving the Nic so far.

Then they left and I rode another lap and set a new PR by nearly a minute and a half. Pretty stoked about that, especially coming a week before my very first MTB race. Hope the good ride carries over to next weekend! A very good day on the MTB.

mtbr member
    15 miler at Sewanee.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Rode it like i stole it! and put it away wet.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just got back from a short evening ride - very muddy, very slippy, very hard work!

At least I got to test my new brakes out...

Cheers

Danny B

mtbr member
    Went to my local park for a fun evening ride. Got to give props to Manitou for making great forks. My rides have been so much more comfortable thanks to my Manitou Match.

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-img0218ud.jpg

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-img0047drv.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-img0218sx.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010

11.25 miles at local park today. First ride on my new 2008 Santa Cruz blur xc full suspension after I built her and wow what a difference coming from a hard tail. Drops and ledges and trees are much easier when you got some cushion under you

mtbr member
    May 2010

mtbr member
    May 2010

Also ordered a spare chain
    Rockshox motion control damper with adjustable low speed compression
    Cane creek s-8 headset
    Headset spacers
    Debating going to a 180mm front rotor as well

mtbr member
    My friend let me try out his Yeti. The ride was super smooth compared to my hardtail. Makes me want a full suspension now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    hit-up saratoga this morning. my buddy bonked early on and that made for a quick day.

mtbr member
    Went for a quick ride @ Duthie Hill Mt. Bike Park outside of Seattle; 2+ loops on Bootcamp, some skill building (drops and skinny logs) then out via Steppin' Up. Came away wanting more....
    2011 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29'r
    2009 Roubaix Comp
    that's all my wife will let me have......

mtbr member

Re: What did You do today on your mountain bike?

Went from this,
    What did You do today on your mountain bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1364153584295.jpg

To this,
    What did You do today on your mountain bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1364153605862.jpg

Time for a test ride.......

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey all,

New to the forums, after a quick mile ride last night on my new to me Cannondale, I realized I needed a new saddle. Went to the LBS this morning and picked up a new one along with some much needed chain lube and T9 Beoshield for everything else. I went on a 5.5mile ride today, and the new seat is much better. I plan on commuting to work when I can cut it. So excited to get back into riding. Its been 17 years since I've "ridden".

mtbr member
    Sence it is Monday this is fromthis weekend so not "today"
    NorthWest Cali Redwoods
    What did You do today on your mountain bike?-102_3717.jpg
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Rode this...

Down from this...
    Copperhead Rd, San Diego County...
    Had to hike most of the way up though. Too fat for now to ride up! lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What I did YESTERDAY on my mountain bike.... a pretty easy little 10 mile ride with my 9 year old son. Pretty much all flat (haven't gotten him the mountain bike yet, he's still rolling on his BMX, but he'll get the MTB for his birthday that's coming up), half street, half dirt/gravel trail, but still a nice way to get out in the sun and fresh air with the boy. Once he DOES get the MTB, looking forward to getting him on some real trails.

Trail Addict
    Cold ride today but quiet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-image.jpg  

#JdubGriff
    KHS Comp St Hybrid

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364247961.639031.jpg

New Pedals!!
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Today I rode around the fens as final decision making... Then back to the store to take home my new Giant Trance X 29!
    Tomorrow will be its intro to my life.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I took yesterday off, well I just plain ran out of time, but I did get back out today. What I thought was a 5.5 mile ride was actually a 6.4 mile ride. I did the same thing today, and amp pretty pumped. Granted this is all rode riding but riding is riding right?

Trail Addict
    Fixed a flat in my tube...went on a 30 minute ride with the wife. 40 degrees out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-image.jpg  

#JdubGriff
    KHS Comp St Hybrid

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by STidrvr View Post
    I took yesterday off, well I just plain ran out of time, but I did get back out today. What I thought was a 5.5 mile ride was actually a 6.4 mile ride. I did the same thing today, and amp pretty pumped. Granted this is all rode riding but riding is riding right?
    Yep this is true, the GF and I are going to try and do a 20 mile ride Saturday, just a road ride to ge the legs ready for spring, still going to be another 1-2 months before the trails are dry enough to ride with out destroying them.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Rode 10 miles today on mostly rode, and snow covered paved bike paths. Trails are way to soft, and wet still. Saw a big ass wolf, or fox (not too sure, probably fox though) about 100 yards down the path just sitting there eyeing me. I stopped to see if this fellow was protecting something, and/or aggressive or just wandering. I rode really slow, and he started backing off, and ran. I tried to double back and warn a couple dog walkers I passed up on the trail but it was too late. The wolf/fox had already killed them, and cleaned most of their bones before I could find them again. There was blood everywhere man. I don't know if I'll ever be able to ride again, because the worst part is that when I called the park rangers they told me it happens all the time, and I shouldn't worry about it. They said it was really only safe to ride there with a gun, or bear mace. Just kidding, I doubled back, and found nothing......the dog walkers had taken the short cut back to the main park area and were by their cars. I passed them on my way out....the were very alive. haha.

Unfortunately, my phone was dead before I left, so I left it home to charge, or I would have got some sweet pics. That was my second wild animal encounter in three days. I almost got hit by a friggin' deer the other day riding along a creek bed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    DP....Whoops.

Page 33 of 106 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 83 ... LastLast