1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 24 of 102 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Did 10.7 miles on the Jamis Dakar, did it in 1:42, my best time yet, it was a 1000 ft climb on a fire road, rode my fav rocky technical trail, then rode down some smooth flowy singletrack, best ride to date! And sorry no pics I was busy getting my @$$ kicked by the 1000 ft climb, it was also my furthest/highest climb to date.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Bike around the neighborhood and then went online to shop for some bargains on parts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Fell. Like a lot lol.

Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Received my Mavic Crossmax 29ST wheels and a RockShox SID RCT3 dual air. Can't wait to install them and ride!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    today for the sport of mountain biking I...

Got a camelback LOBO, some shimano mtb shoes, some shimano spd M540's, a lizard skin chainstay protector. and even had time to squeeze in a ride. but it was super muddy and the nine line tires didn't want to grab any form of traction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I moved to a new town a month ago, I'm determined to get back into MTBing so I took my 01 jekyll out for a spin and did alittle bit of scouting to find potential trails or riding areas.

So far I've just about come up dry, I found some old BMX jumps that were look like they were not touched in 3-5 years. The area is SMALL but could give me a nice close to home trail to test changes before a ride.

It also pushed me over the edge to upgrade some of the components on the bike. The Deore Brakes make a perfect turkey call and have horrid stopping power. the crank has a creak in it and no matter how much I adjusted the deralier it does not keep gears very well. I've got BB7's and the X9 drivetrain group on the way. I'm still looking to grab another lefty wheelset or a road bike for cheap.

mtbr member
    not today (today is bike trainer day) but last night I went out for my first night right...
    talk about a blast

mtbr member
    Tackled a moderately steep hill.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Today I sat helplessly at work as I received an email from FedEx saying that they attempted to drop off my new bike but were unable to because there was no one to sign for it. Gonna be the same story tomorrow

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i pumped air in the tires. gonna ride it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Jut got my bbg bash guard. Trvativ HOLZFELLER SL HANDLEBAR and RACE FACE DEUS XC STEM

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    broke a 13t cog.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Did 6 miles on some trails near the house. Good day!

mtbr member
    I did my first 20 mile ride today. It was a blast and was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just cleaned it is all.. =(

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ordered some ebay night riding lights bout a week ago. beginning to order everything i need to rebuild my hardtail. new fork, deciding on X9 build kit or to order shimino xt parts separate. new seat, grips, Flat Downhill pedals and some 5-tens to go with them, and some Maxxis tires. and then i'll start getting new riding gear as well. hopefully all this done before early spring gets here so i can go ride. because 27 degree weather just isnt my cup of tea right now

mtbr member
    Ordered a BBG Bashguard. Time to get rid of my 42t bent and broken chainring.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Went on my first snow ride today, with my son. Good conditions for our first time on the snow. Mid-40’s, about an inch of snow, but had a few stretches of sloppy mud as well. I had my FS 29er, and he had his Mamba 29er hardtail. Swapped bikes for awhile and could really tell a difference between his 2.2 Bonties and my 2.1 Maxxis Aspens though. I'll definitely take my Mamba next time. Had an absolute blast and can't wait to go out and play in the snow again!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

first bike wash

first bike wash after being rejected by couple of lbs for checking/brake pads replacement from after trailed rides, this i cant understand whats the theory behind servicing bikes with some dirt~ dont these bike shops provide cleaning services?! i dont even mind paying extras!

never been a cleaning person so planned of using 30mins but ended up over an hour and still not clean~ really tough doing it.

couldnt go on and lubed chain/cassettes/crank/RD with leftover castrol & brush~
    Attached Images Attached Images        

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by primussucks View Post
    Did this today, it was in the mid to high 90s, but this was mostly in the shade, but still when I stopped for whatever reason, it was HOT...

What do you use to track your rides?

banned
    Sep 2011
    Did a town-to-town road ride with a nice ex railroad bed shortcut. Mud and spots of snow on it...

I did around 32 miles all together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Nothing today

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    I test fitted the Reba fork to my '08 RH Disc.

That made your ride feel brand new all over again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Drooled at pictures of it online, as it hasn't gotten here yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    rode saratoga gap trail in CA

Last edited by bob13bob; 12-27-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Page 24 of 102 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 ... LastLast