1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 23 of 107 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 73 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    still lazy to clean after 3mths weekly riding dirt~
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    This was last week. Awesome ride. Snow smoothed out the trail and everything was frozen underneath. Fast quiet and surreal.

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1354483566961.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    20 miles at Brown County State Park, 26 miles yesterday. (Didn't ride Schooner though )

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1354498723887.jpg  

2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    ^ In Indiana?? Used to live near Bargersville many years ago...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    bought an Easton MonkeyBar 2cm riser bar today

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Did the front hub yesterday, today its the rear's turn to get overhauled

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixnr View Post
    This was last week. Awesome ride. Snow smoothed out the trail and everything was frozen underneath. Fast quiet and surreal.

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."
    Lovely. Used to ride solo in Chicago at Palos Forest when I was in grad school. I remember my first solo snow ride well, as I was coming from Southern California. Got lost, of course, and had visions of Survivorman with me stuck in the snow somewhere.

Got out alive, of course.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Saw my bike go sliding across the pavement as I was going too fast around a wet turn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    fitted hydraulic brakes in the front, and took my bike for a few meters in the snow

banned
    Sep 2012
    Modified my head tube so that I could install a tapered fork:

-S

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I tried to go on a nice long ride today. But 2 miles in this happened to my chain...so I walked home. Picking up some MissingLinks tomorrow.

NOOB
    Nov 2012
    lets see i ordered alot of new S**T lol

mtbr member
    Washed it off washing my car.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I Ordered new forks. Manitou Tower Pro.

My Brain Hurts!
    Swapped the 1.95 Tioga tires out for Bontrager XR2's in 2.10. Got the pair of tires
    for $15 (new) at The Milwaukee Bike Swap last Sunday. Need better performance
    in the sand and am hoping the less aggressive tread than the 2.10 Nevegals that
    came with the bike and the wider width than the Tiogas that were on the bike now
    is the ticket.

Tomorrow I am gonna go run the bike at a local trail to see how they work in the
    root strewn, sand and loose gravel, rocks, loam, and hardpack that exists there....
    I will run em in the sand next trip....unless there is 3 feet of snow...

Before

After

And dig that crazy sculpted orange shag carpet and dark paneling! Yes folks, it is
    1978 in my house....
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 12-05-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby View Post

And dig that crazy sculpted orange shag carpet and dark paneling! Yes folks, it is
    1978 in my house....
    Complete with the Dual-Cassette unit.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutgyr View Post
    Complete with the Dual-Cassette unit.
    You saw that huh? That stereo is older than my oldest son! I run my computer output through it so I can play along to music with my bass guitars.

Rock and Roll!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    switched from 105mm to 80mm stem and went for a ride. Saw improvement but might want to go even shorter.

I4NI
    Today I rotated my tires.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member

Went for an evening ride in the hills.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Not a god damn thing! Still looking at buying the first mb. No it won't be nice.. But I will love her so much.

mtbr member
    towed the munchkin around in the trailer on the ole rail trail & around the local minor league ball park - short ride but she seemed to enjoy it

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sent my bike to get powder coated and got my box of goodies from Chain Reaction Cycles and waiting for my other order to come in at my LBS, bikes going to be all new except forks and frame.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Village Newbie
    I popped my rear tire in a rock garden, Stans took forever to seal a 1/8" hole. I got to use my Co2 inflator which was cool, but on the way out of the garden I lost it on the trail. didnt realize it until I was at the trail head, I had to go back and get it because I still needed more air to make it home. Think the Specialized 2bliss tire casing saved my butt even at less than 10psi it still wouldn't burp or roll of the rim.

notes to remember, puncture a tire 10 times with thorns be sure to refill with sealant before riding again . upon refilling the tire I noticed 2 more large thorns in the rear tire, 1 sidewall and 1 on the edge of the tread/sidewall.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Took my new GT Sensor 9r Elite out for it's first test ride after final assembly. Short ride around the neighborhood streets to check out brakes, shifters, seat height, etc. This was my first online bike purchase, and since I still consider myself a noob, I wanted to be close to home for this ride... Just in case. So far so good. Hope the weather will cooperate at least one more time to allow an actual trail ride this year.

Page 23 of 107 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 73 ... LastLast