Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,300 of 2924
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: What did You do today on your mountain bike?

Did 15 miles on a trail I haven't been to. It was definitely fun. I haven't been lost in a long time lol

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

29ers Forever
    I rode a short but very fun 5 mile loop at Pine Hill Park today.
    That totals up to 16 miles this week on trails (three short rides).

Keep pedaling
    Yesterday I went up Chaney Trail, up Mount Lowe fire road, thru Mueller Tunnel, and up to the top of Mount Disappointment.

Me at the top of Mount Disappointment:

mtbr member

Rode Tunnel-Otero for the first time on my new Troy. The day before they close the forests for the summer.

2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Well, it was on Sat. Besides doing my morning trail ride. I made a repair on my rear brake. It was working fine. I have a 2000 Magura Loiuse that needed a new piston in the master cylinder (There's a thread about it in Brake Time). So I've had the part sitting around for a couple weeks so I finally had a chance to take out the old one and replace it with the new one. I did need to do a little bleeding too, so I took care of that. Then of course I checked to see that it was working properly. And on Sunday I went for another morning ride. No problems at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Spent some time in the lab over the past couple days...built up a new bike and revived an old one.

Custom steel by a friend of mine. Screaming short chainstays, Ecc. BB machined down to fit American BMX shell, ready for gears, discs, cantis....super versatile little frame - probably end up gearing it and going with a 4" fork; got some nicer fit parts on the way too.

This has been out on long term loan to a friend. Got it back the other day and gave it a good 1-over and some fresh bits. Handmade by Frank the Welder. 'Nuf said.

My 10 y/o hijacked it as soon as it was done. Said he 'can't find anything wrong with it" and knocked off his first jumps on a 26".

Also spruced up this dump-score:

...and put the finishing (for the moment) touches on out pumptrack project this past weekend. It's been a good couple days as far as a biking goes around here.

The boy on his 18"

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Went for a ride yesterday and got a thorn in my tire apparently so had to patch that. And put a bash guard on and a new middle ring cause my old one was 8 years old and pretty much a mess.

29ers Forever
    Added new Raceface Aeffect pedals to my Cobia.
    They are expensive and awesome.

mtbr member
    Rode 14.8 miles at Canyons Resort in Park City UT. Took the Red Pine Ganjala up an rode the Mid Mountain trail to Ambush trail and took that to the base. Had so much fun we did it a second time. Used an app on my phone that told me we did 1266 ft up and 2404 ft down over the 7.4 miles each lap with a time of 1.09.20 and 1.04.50 for the two laps. Best part is I made it in one piece as did the bike lol.
    Such a long long time to be gone, such a short time to be.

mtbr member

Spending most of the day with friends and family. But was able to get my butt out of bed at 7 to go for a 9 mile ride through an easy trail 5 minutes from my house. Very relaxing. Mixed it up on some paved paths and some single track. It's a holiday so decided to take it easy.

mtbr member
    May 2012

What did You do today on your mountain bike?

Maybe not today, but this week at least... I went on my 1st group ride on Wednesday. About 13 in my group, doing a pre-race loop thru the course for a July 6th race. Not exactly up on group ride etiquette but I guess it's mostly common sense anyway. I'm used to riding with my son and am usually right on his back wheel so had to catch myself a couple times riding up on someone's back tire. No mishaps though and I had a great time. It was a no-drop group which is just my speed these days! Looking forward to more group rides.

mtbr member
    Went to Palo Duro & rode the Lighthouse Trail. About 6 miles round trip. The downhill on the way back is worth the climb.
    Only crashed once bombing a dry creek crossing when I hit some deep sand. Trails are rutted from the recent rains but not terrible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    DT Swiss 29'er Taco.
    What did You do today on your mountain bike?-20140704_132028_zpsa002b5a3.jpeg

Give'er!
    ^---Well there's your problem!

I changed out the grips with better ones and replaced the plastic pedals with aluminium ones (studs were wearing off)

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHB View Post
    ^---Well there's your problem!

I changed out the grips with better ones and replaced the plastic pedals with aluminium ones (studs were wearing off)
    I did both of those before my last ride and man did that help, major grip on both ends.

+1 for Shimano Saint MX-80 and Peaty Lizard skin grips.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by xeasternskies View Post
    DT Swiss 29'er Taco.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140704_132028_zpsa002b5a3.jpeg 
Views:	156 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	905862
    That must have caused a crash. Is that a 2012 Trek X-Cal?

Today I rode 6.5 miles at Pine Hill Park. There were a lot of downed branches and trees that I had to walk the bike across, but there was one tree laid across the trail that I cleared perfectly.
    I rode the banked turns higher and rode over all the obstacles. It was a very fun, windy ride. It was arguably the best ride of the season (although not the longest).
    I'll ride again tomorrow. I can't wait.

mtbr member
    Anyone have hints on posting pics from instagram?
    Last edited by velo99; 07-06-2014 at 02:25 PM.

IH, HYHT.
    Rode 10 miles with my wife and then she gave me a present (new dish brush for bike cleaning). Turns out today is national "Clean the Mulberries off your Wife's bike" day. Which is weird, cause after I cleaned her bike I googled it and I couldn't find anything about it online. On the plus side, I have a good brush and she has a clean bike.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Co Springs
    I had a good few days over the holiday/weekend with some family.

Brother-in-law was here from TX and recently got a bike to get in shape and healthy. I helped him decide between 3 he was looking at (city-path types w/ 700c wheels) and he showed up here at 6800 ft on Wednesday afternoon.

Main concern was not overdoing the workout for a new biker coupled with elevation here and hills every-which-way. We (my wife her brother and I) did some paved and redrock hardpack doing 3 and 5 miles rides with slight elevation changes and he did really well.
    I reminded him of how strong he'll feel if he stays with it down at sea level on the same rides he's been doing..... and not to let 3 days of dust accumulate on that bike. It's a Jamis Coda Sport and while here, we got out bike shopping so he has a multi-tool and a pump. He learned about his presta valves and we worked together to get his wireless computer working so it did more than show him the time of day and air temp.

Also while here we got in some nice scenic hikes with his photo eq along. Now my wife is starting to get more serious and interested in getting out more too.

I hope he's one of the stories about the bike making a great impact on his health and fitness like many I've read of.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Today I installed a RaceFace narrow-wide 30T chain ring going from a 2x10 to a 1x10 drive train which was good for a 377g (13.2oz) weight loss. I didn't really do it for the weight savings though but for making things a little more simple while riding and maintaining the bike. Won't get to ride it though until later in the week.

Name:  10505522_10152508300549291_8629682133923427552_n.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  39.4 KB
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS and rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member

Bled my rear brake - first time I've ever bled a hydro brake. I was surprised at how simple it is on the newer Shimano brakes. Hoping it cures the issues I've been having with my rear brake going to the bar on descents and then being normal on flat ground / climbs.

29ers Forever
    I rode 6 miles today on local trails. Those RaceFace pedals really work well.
    That means I rode a total of 23 miles this week (four rides).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Rode the local trail
    What did You do today on your mountain bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1404687924024.jpg

mtbr member
    Dodged a turtle on his way to the lake.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Took the GT out on a trail with my buddy trying to convert him from a roadie. I rode my pos Huffy and he took the GT. Finally wiped out but that little Huffy does surprisingly well and turned out to be a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Went to the LBS and got a new saddle. Replaced my serfas e-gel comfort saddle with a specialized Riva and the ride is so much better. No more soreness on the back of my thighs from moving my weight back with the wide serfas.

After installing the saddle and riding around the neighborhood I went back to the LBS to purchase the Riva and took the bike along for a fit. He straightened out the saddle install and tossed it on the trainer. We re positioned the saddle height and now the bike is more comfortable than ever. I can't wait to take it on the trail tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Went tubeless ghetto style! Maxxis High Roller 2 2.3 rear and Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front.

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1404778589.028458.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I am mainly riding for fitness the last 2 months since getting into biking and ride concrete bike paths. (down 12 pounds )

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 11.19.48 PM.png
Views: 263
Size:  108.8 KB
    Best Photo Booth in Dallas Fort Worth
    http://www.snapzsnapz.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Rode part of the planned excursion today. The plan was a 16 mile round trip, I ended up throwing in the towel at 8. Riding mostly paved roads and a little bit of dirt, with lots of hills along the way. I never had to get off and walk the bike, but I may have dropped to an extremely low granny gear on some climbs...

mtbr member
    Rode with an Ex employee (that was more like the little sister I wish I had) and her husband, who were back in town visiting friends and family. She is an avid roadie that is just getting her feet wet on the MTB trails. Good ride.

mtbr member
    Today I changed my pedals to clipless and haven't fallen on my face yet. I'll probably ride around nice flay and easy things for a little bit before I venture back out onto the trails.
    We have met the enemy, and it is us. Pogo

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Rode 10miles mostly XC. Realizing how much I love this sport

mtbr member
    Today was my forth-ever trail ride. I completed a 9 mile track with the local MTB club. That's the longest trail I've done (< 2~3 miles is my next closest).

I've never been so proud of myself. :]
    Rider Specs: new grand master of the "tactical dismount and barrel roll" combo

29ers Forever
    Today was a great trail ride. I rode on a new trail with a group and this trail was fun. There were some climbs, but it was mostly downhill and it was very smooth and flowy in some areas but then some places had a lot of roots. This trail is my favourite out of all the Aqueduct Trails in Woodstock (still not as good as Pine Hill Park). I am guessing I rode 7.5 miles with the group, but I will wait until I get the actual mileage before I add it up to my weekly total.

mtbr member
    Trimmed my new brake hoses (Shimano XT). Very easy but I think I messed up a little and still need to bleed. Oh well...easy to do, just gotta get the stuff to do it.
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS and rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member

Went for a group Urban Ride around the University campus. Steps hills drops jumps curbs sidewalks parking garages. Lots of fun.

Give'er!
    I was going down a trail, clipping along at a good pace; not the most challenging trail by no means, but I was loving every minute of it. Somewhere along the way, my right leg brushed up against a shrub and didn't think much of it; it was somewhat itchy on the drive home, figured I got bit by a bug or something until I looked at my leg while unloading my bike from the truck. A few swollen and red spots...Poison Ivy! All and all, it was still a good ride.

mtbr member
    Lubed her up and took her for a ride!!

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad ™
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Rode in little circles on grass at the local park until I felt nauseous. Also started to learn front wheel lifts

yeah, baby steps

Co Springs
    This week; Switched from clipless (been riding 10 years with these) to dual pedals so I can have more options of letting a family members try my bike or myself taking a quick short spin w/o the PITA of those shoes.

Yesterday 730a; Did a 6 mile path with a 75 y/o retired Dr to explore some good uphill and a round-a-bout way of commuting to work.
    Then put some on-sale $20 fenders on my 91 Splzd for a cool updated city bike look.

6p; Met up with some riders on more tech terrain and another 5.8 miles, then a great cook out w/ quality brews.

Today at 830a; Out with the old doc again and did 12.5 miles at approx 86 degrees out there.
    Round numbers, 24 miles in the two days. Feeling stronger !
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just bought my first new bike in 10 + years a week ago. Been riding it as often as I can this week to get in shape for trail riding.

Today: 10.5 miles on a paved trail, 3 miles during my commute.

Tuesday: 3 miles during commute.

Sunday: 10.5 miles on paved trail.

So far, loving riding and being back on a bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Took a vacation. Now I'm back to riding. I missed it so much. I hate being away from my routine. I live near a nice loop and work from home so sometimes I'll hit it twice a day, but being off a bike for a week makes me lazy.

mtbr member

It sounds like you went on a wrong type of vacation....

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    It sounds like you went on a wrong type of vacation....
    Sounds like it to me too. The last 2 years my vacation has been going out to Utah and riding with one of my sons. They have been some of the best trips ever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    6 road miles today so far But it was with my 9 year old to go see the new planet of the apes movie so
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitr0 View Post
    Rode the local trail
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1404687924024.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	906274
    Does that happen to be Idawild Park near Burlington Kentucky?
    I was there today. Went down a wooden thing(no idea what it is called) that looked just like that, AND it starts with a hill like that.

29ers Forever
    I rode 29 miles in three days. That makes 31.5 miles this week (5 days). I don't know if I'll do much riding this weekend, but I will stop by the Mountain Bike Fest at the STAB trails in Brownsville to demo some bikes if I can.

mtbr member
    Did a much needed maintenance day. Went over every bolt to ensure proper tightness. Cleaned the rear derailuer and chain. Bike was in need of a little tlc. Now she's all ready to go for tomorrow's ride.
    "The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
    -Douglas Adams

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Went on my first ride with a fork made in this century -- a new to me 2008 Reba Team mounted to my DBR Ti hardtail. We happily made our way around Centennial Cone. The 2700ft of climbing in <17 miles started to get to me.

On the final, fast, steep with drop-offs to one side descent, my front tire dramatically flatted. Instant deflation, handling disappeared. Did everything I could to keep myself from falling down the drop off. A bit of blood, a bit of wracked nerves, and a new tube later I wandered the rest of the way down.

Today I learned:
    1. Whoa -- air forks are pretty rad. As is a bit more travel. My hands are not killing me.
    2. 24 PSI is a bit too low of pressure.
    3. Front punctures + lots of speed + loose terrain is pretty scary.

mtbr member
    Today was my second 9+ mile ride (somewhere between 9 and 12 miles).
    I learned that taking the handlebars straight to the gut does not feel good. Also flipping over them was kind of painful, too.

I will conquer you one day, small creek crossing.
    Rider Specs: new grand master of the "tactical dismount and barrel roll" combo

29ers Forever
    I didn't do anything on my bike today, but I looked at some new ones at the VMBA fest in Brownsville, VT. They had some bikes there that I wanted to ride, but I didn't want to spend $65 to demo a few bikes. I'll be back next year for the full weekend, weather permitting.

mtbr member
    Did a 23km road ride today. Haven't done this circuit in a few months and my legs were burning after..... time to get back into shape I think!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Gave the beast a good wash and fitted some new wellgo platforms to replace the composite (plastic) ones that it came with. Haven't ridden in 2 weeks withdrawals setting in, bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm going to check out some downed trees today on one of the local trails and see if I can clear it.. And I'll ride some too lol

mtbr member

Went for a ride , went Otb
    Now sitting in the hospital
    Update with numerous bruise dirt rash and a cracked rib..
    Fml
    Last edited by Reelchef67; 07-13-2014 at 06:27 PM.
    " I don't ride park"

mtbr member

Since Thursday, 3x rides... 1st - froze my a$$ off! 2nd was like a two stage race (Heineken stop in the middle)... 3rd did some technical stuff... All in all a nice 5 days away...

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1405327892497.jpg

Today's ride (in between techy stuff)

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad ™
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    having a good confident day today, then the chain broke!

I ride bikes
    Loaded up for a camping/biking vacation.

Climbed some mountains. About 4200ft of elevation. My legs hurt today.

Some extremely fast fun single track on the way down. Broke my front brake. Ran out of water.

Got back to camp, sat in the river and re-hydrated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-20140711_140513_resized.jpg  

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-20140714_095336_resized_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Reelchef67 View Post
    Went for a ride , went Otb
    Now sitting in the hospital
    Update with numerous bruise dirt rash and a cracked rib..
    Fml
    Ouch lol.. Ribs suck. I broke a few a couple years ago.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    crazy a"s day today, 1) got Waay lost ended up doing 21mi, 2) on my way back on a bike path a deer in front of me ran off to oncoming traffic almost hitting a car, 3) about 1/4mi in front of me a truck spun out from the highway into the bike path, then the diver comes out with no pants, wtf?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was on a paved bike path last month and an Asian woman made a turn off the Parkway and drove though it nearly hitting several people before somebody ran after her to let her know that the painted white lines about 4' wide weren't car lanes...... I think she had pants on but it didn't matter she shouldn't be driving lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    lol.. thats pretty messed up, asians driving, murica should know better..jk yeah plus i almost hit a roadie on the trail, i was going pretty fast then missed him by an inch, he yelled something but i had my earbuds..too emotional ama take a break, jeeze

mtbr member

Went to ride some local trails early but they were a muddy mess and I felt like crap. Did four miles on the trails before I went home.

Once home I swapped tires and did four miles through my hilly neighborhood. Decided to quit because my knee started giving me fits again.

29ers Forever
    I rode 9.5 miles today with a group. I need to work on standing and cornering, that will help me turn, but other than that I have improved my riding style a lot this year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Was gonna go riding today but some stuff came up. Damn life. Put my new gxp crank on and a new stem. I'll have to go riding tomorrow instead.

mtbr member
    Its been raining like crazy but the trails were dry enough to hit up today. One was very overgrown and I got dozens of tiny painful cuts from going through tall grass that was growing onto the trail. Overall, it was good to get back out there.

IH, HYHT.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I rode 9.5 miles today with a group. I need to work on standing and cornering, that will help me turn, but other than that I have improved my riding style a lot this year.
    I work on standing/cornering and keeping by balance neutral or rearward quite a bit. Too many years riding over road bars has me washing out occasionally.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    I usually let my two dogs run wild on the trails while I bike along. They always keep within sight. The older dog will follow along just fine and keep to the side if we are on a road. The young one loves running and goes back and forth, he probably runs twice the distance I bike. I can't trust him yet alongside a roadway.
    Today, for the first time, I spent a while with the young one on a lead beside me while I biked. He did a really good job 'heeling', stopping, turning. We only had one problem on one reversal.
    ...Terry

Co Springs
    Out on the trails yesterday a 0645 after some big rains the day before with a friend and a newer mtn biker just getting back into it. We got in just over 5 mi with some good trails and all in great shape considering the wet stuff.

Def had to wash down the bikes then for the heck of it, weighed the bike. Mine is 1.8 # heavier than it's twin in the garage. I added those 2-way pedals a few weeks ago and mine has the RS sus seatpost, frame mount pump, computer and one cage. Came up with 31# and 29.2#, both 7005 frames and low/mid priced h/t from 2001.

Somersault Expert
    Mar 2014
    Worked on my manual, then loaded bike on truck and headed towards Durango for the Gathering!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Spent the last two mornings on some local trails in the Bay Area. First two days riding on dirt and really enjoyed it. Was able to do all the climbs without getting off the bike. Overall, a great weekend of riding.
    2015 Norco Fluid 7.2

mtbr member
    Nothing on mine, but spent the weekend testing new bikes. Hope to make a decision on which to buy tonight

banned
    May 2014
    Bank, Groceries, Curbs, Driveway Slopes, Loading Dock, Ran a Red Light, And Now I Have To Go Back To The Grocery Store And Exchange The Light Bulbs. Probably Run Another Red Light In The Process, And Hit A Few More Driveway Slopes For Good Measure!

mtbr member
    Yesterday did 23 miles on the road then 6 miles on the Lighthouse Trail in Palo Duro. Knocked 3 minutes off my time. Didn't crash or bleed this time but had three cactus spines in my ankle
    Hey Tres. On my the last half of my road ride I did the alley, parking lot, culvert route to stay out of traffic. It's a lot more fun than straight ahead roading. Manualed over a 12" concrete barrier. Just scraped the bottom of a pedal. Just knew I was gonna crash about the time I pulled the front end off the ground. It was awesome.

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    Yesterday did 23 miles on the road then 6 miles on the Lighthouse Trail in Palo Duro. Knocked 3 minutes off my time. Didn't crash or bleed this time but had three cactus spines in my ankle
    Hey Tres. On my the last half of my road ride I did the alley, parking lot, culvert route to stay out of traffic. It's a lot more fun than straight ahead roading. Manualed over a 12" concrete barrier. Just scraped the bottom of a pedal. Just knew I was gonna crash about the time I pulled the front end off the ground. It was awesome.
    Nice! I too would much rather be the victim of my own ignorance than someone else. I waited for the green this time, since I was with my son, but we managed to hit a few skinnies instead. Little bugger has been practicing behind my back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Heavy rains equal lots of mud. Completed 4.5mi with a first time rider. Time was a bit slower, but it's good to get someone interested in riding. Going back out in 3 days hope to ride 15mi.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Took my son over to the skatepark for a couple hours, then met up with my trailbuilding partner for a 10 miler and a couple beers on our local loop to scope out some future projects. Perfect day for it.

The boy was killing it on his little 18". Man, I wish I could jump.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Took my son over to the skatepark for a couple hours, then met up with my trailbuilding partner for a 10 miler and a couple beers on our local loop to scope out some future projects. Perfect day for it.

The boy was killing it on his little 18". Man, I wish I could jump.

Skills!

mtbr member

Spent a little time on the Ouachita Vista trail. Almost ran over a turkey.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tres Bottelas View Post
    Skills!
    Crazy skills. Keeps me welll-grounded as far as thinking I can really handle a bike, that's for sure.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I converted my friend and her husband into mtbers from hikers by showing them that it's more fun to ride where they walk. They are buying some bikes this week. 15 miles and they were like alright.. Walking us boring

Give'er!
    I centred my GPS and bike light; before, they were both on the right handlebar. Had to get creative with the light. I took a regular O ring for another light I use on my helmet and mated it with the split ring that came with the light on the bars using two zip ties; worked like a charm! Centring everything didn't really change the functionality, just put some OCD stuff to rest!

The underside

mtbr member
    Went camping and rode at Ellicottville, NY (one of the Bell grant finalists this year). Lots of rain the previous couple of days made the rocks and roots even more greasy than usual, which led to a full body dab onto a downed tree which led to a possible cracked rib. All and all it was a great trip!
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

29ers Forever
    I didn't do much on my mountainbike today or yesterday (although I wanted to ride last night). I instead finished up on a trail in my "backyard" and rode it a couple times.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I did 3 5 laps yesterday about to do some more now. The wild wine berries are ripe now so I'll get to eat some too haha

Co Springs
    I too am trying to convert hiker friends to biking. Today was a hike but last two rides were both 5 + milers on trails. One of those was an intro ride for a newer biker and a fancy new bike. We are out in the morning at 7 to do some more. Thinking of an old rail bed that is 6 miles gradual uphill and basically rolling back.... a 'cheater 12 miles' but it's terribly hot out lately.... 90's plus.
    I'll slack off a bit and be happy about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I brought my hikers to where they hike to try mtbing since they knew the area, and they both liked riding a lot more. They didn't realize the exercise benefit until after riding.

mtbr member
    Hey Slap, just noticed something...
    Where`s the kids helmet?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    First ride after swapping out Conti X-Kings for a Maxxis Crossmark 29x2.1 in the rear and a Maxxis Ardent 29x 2.25 in the front along with some new ODI Rogues
    Initial impressions on the tires are favorable so far, did 12+ miles after some pretty good rainfall so the trails were still wet in some areas.I always felt the X-Kings were twitchy through some of the faster turns and the rear's sidewall was looking pretty beat up after maybe 200 miles on it, Front end felt alot lighter with the Maxxis than the X King which surprised me. The new grips are head and shoulders better than the stock ones, they are thicker and absorb a lot more chatter and they just grip my hands like Vader did the the rebel officers throat . Back to the Ardent front , it stays on the line I picked and gave me no discernible drift like the X King. I always felt the X King in front was on a razor's edge of washing out.By the way both tires set up easy peasy tubeless.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    Hey Slap, just noticed something...
    Where`s the kids helmet?
    Not to worry - it's on his melon, right where it belongs (it's black and skate style, so maybe tough to see in the pic?). That's one thing he's always been good about, though personally I wish he'd rock a full face and pads more often. I know I would be if I ever got that far off the ground.

I'll tell ya, it always bums me out how many people just drop their young kids off at the skatepark with no helmets and on incredibly shitty bikes w/ no brakes, etc and then just take off. It's in a pretty rough 'hood, so I guess that stuff just goes with the territory, but man, it's a bit depressing. I try to give away stuff, specially helmets, whenever I can to try to help out, but it's an uphill battle. Usually, out of 30-40 kids, mine's the only one wearing a helmet.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was reading that giving out helmets has zero effect on helmet use.. Nobody uses them unless they want to or are forced to be it by law or parents

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I was reading that giving out helmets has zero effect on helmet use.. Nobody uses them unless they want to or are forced to be it by law or parents

It's law in our state for under 14 y/o. There are free helmet programs all over teh place, but like you say, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference in certain areas. From hanging out and getting to know some of the kids that spend a lot of time at this particular park (which is in a pretty rough area of a depressed old mill city a couple towns from where we live), a lot of the parents aren't very involved with their kids in general. I've tried to organize some trips to different places to ride for them like indoor parks and a BMX track, but can't do jack without some parental involvement, and most of the kids are pretty much like 'no, my mom/dad won't do that'. Sad. One of the really young kids that used to be down there a lot actually was killed and dumped beside the highway last year by his so-called folks. If there's an upside, I guess in addition to learning to fly, my kid gets some valuable life lessons over there; seems to really make him appreciate how good he's got it.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

29ers Forever
    Yesterday I rode 5 intense miles with a lot of steep climbs and today I rode 8.5 miles both on my homemade Gravel Grinder (my 2010 F9 with a narrow flat bar and 1.5" wide semi-slick tyres).
    Still, riding is riding and it has been too hot lately in the afternoon to ride much, so all this riding I have done this week has been in the morning.
    Hopefully I will be able to go for a ride on the mountain bike tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    No riding today but I have confirmation that my new ride is en route. 2013 Opus Stakh 3 excited to ride it next week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I cleaned my bike today.. It was a muddy mess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nothing on the bike this week. Only one ride last week too... (I usually commute 100 miles a week and about 25 more trail riding). On family vacation so enjoying the downtime. I brought a bike with me but it is sitting forlornly in the van begging for an outing.

Back at home next week so will probably be itching to get our on the trails again. Although I think the time off has finally helped the wrist I broke in February heal up properly.
    2016 Cannondale SuperX
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2016 Scott Voltage FR 730
    2016 Radon Slide 130 10.0 HD
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

mtbr member

I looked at it....

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post

I guess if they are 'invested' in the idea it's a good policy they buy one. Kind of makes sense but it's nice to know that some hospitals give out car seats or helmets to those that may not have the $ means.

I used to peruse the local Goodwill store for books (still do) and I ran into so many trunk mount bike racks that were marked $4.99 or so, I just bought one anytime I seen one and gave them away as I'd run into others that could use one. Talk about a small price to pay ....

In recent years, GW has become a more proud of some of the stuff and prices jumped up. What used be under $10 now gets tagged at $30 in many cases.

Co Springs
    Thurs morning ride of 12.8 miles with some friends on a early to warmer - hot morning. It think it got to 95 by some point in the day but we were rolling by 730a.

I forget how pleasant riding of any sort is, be it a path of hardpack/gravel, techy, twisty stuff or moderate climbs.... We have so much terrain variety, and scenic landscape, sunrise and sunsets, I feel bad for those that can't or don't get out to enjoy it in some manner of healthy exercise or fellowship.

mtbr member
    I took a nice ride to the nearest park!

Members who have read this thread: 15