1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 21 of 105 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 71 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Bike ride in the hills.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Went down to the local skate park and did some waist high drops.

mtbr member
    Went riding with friends at Ringwood...broke my chain in the trail. Borrowed friend's Yeti 575 to ride back to the parking lot to get the chain breaker, then performed repair on the trail...had a blast afterwards. Longest ride we did (4.5 hours) because of that on-trail repair.

FKA Malibu412
    Nothing on the bike but I did some winter maintenance trail work to keep the local park trails in shape to ride when wet.

Spend a few hours every month or 2 on your local trails. Give back. Represent the mtb community well. You'll thank yourself.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

I eat cats

Went OTB..

Riding down the Luge (local trail):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    Riding down the Luge (local trail):
    what part? Im riding there tomorrow and id like to avoid your line lol.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCapps View Post
    what part? Im riding there tomorrow and id like to avoid your line lol.
    It was on the bottom section. It wasn't a real technical part actually, I was just trying to loosen up after clearing the real rutty areas and caught my front wheel then did a nice OTB onto my head. Chit happens. Have fun tomorrow!
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    "What did You Wish do today on your mountain bike?"

All of the above

mtbr member
    Hit my local trail. Ill miss it in a few months when I leave here, but that and the LBS are about the only things worth attention at this place. Forgive the cellular-phone like quality. These images were captured by a cellular phone...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-536702_432766943439808_515451363_n.jpg  

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-311109_432767263439776_1655563367_n.jpg  

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-550749_432767050106464_1119357905_n.jpg  

"Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It was on the bottom section. It wasn't a real technical part actually, I was just trying to loosen up after clearing the real rutty areas and caught my front wheel then did a nice OTB onto my head. Chit happens. Have fun tomorrow!
    Gotcha. well, I made it through without any OTB's. On the way up the mud was very slick and kinda worried me about the downhill. I was surprised at just how well my tires did even when they were fully caked. I ended up going much faster then I had planned to be able to. Riding a hardtail with flats I lost my footing and now I will be extending my pins to full cheese grader setting lol. It was fun and the group I went with made it even better.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCapps View Post
    Gotcha. well, I made it through without any OTB's. On the way up the mud was very slick and kinda worried me about the downhill. I was surprised at just how well my tires did even when they were fully caked. I ended up going much faster then I had planned to be able to. Riding a hardtail with flats I lost my footing and now I will be extending my pins to full cheese grader setting lol. It was fun and the group I went with made it even better.
    You guys climbed up it then rode back down? We took Santiago Truck Trail up the down the luge. Anyways, glad you had fun! It's a great trail and the reason I fell was me being a dummy and not paying enough attention in a not so technical spot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You guys climbed up it then rode back down? We took Santiago Truck Trail up the down the luge. Anyways, glad you had fun! It's a great trail and the reason I fell was me being a dummy and not paying enough attention in a not so technical spot.
    Bare with me as I don't know the area well. We parked at cooks corner and rode up the street till we reached a dirt trail. All I know is it was a lot of uphill to reach the flag lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Did 18 miles in the mountains of Southwest Virginia!!!

mtbr member
    Rode for about 2 hours today on the trails around my town..saw lots of people, most of which were college students (I am one as well.) Got lots of compliments on my new fuel ex, and had a blast bombing down some of the steeper single track.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Rode an hour and a half Sat and then was getting ready to ride yesterday afternoon and noticed a nice rip in the sidewall of my rear tire! So went to the LBS (only one that was open), bought a new tire and replaced it. Now I have a specialized rear tire with a rapid rob on the front...on a scott bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rode 42 miles on the Nickel Plate Trail!

Nickel Plate Trail - YouTube
    Last edited by zephxiii; 11-19-2012 at 04:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Usual Tuesday morning ride, seemed tough today. Installed ergon GS1 grips. Tried to move brakes inboard so I can switch from middle finger to index finger braking. Didn't work so if we cross paths I swear I'm using my brakes and not flipping you off lol.

mtbr member
    Burned off all of my Thanksgiving calories before I ate them. 13 miles of very gnarly singletrack! Beautiful morning for a ride!

I eat cats
    Earned my first beer and worked up an appetite by going for a quick 5 mile ride.. decent climbing involved though. Happy Thanksgiving!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My bike is tore own to frame only, I stared at it thinkning of the shinny new parts that will be on it in the spring. does that count?
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    11.6 miles of fun. Proved that I need new tires when both washed out on me at once. Thankful to whoever built the hump that kept me from going over the side of the trail lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nothing, I've done absolutely nothing an I'm having withdraws!!! I can't wait till tomorrow!

mtbr member
    15 miles/65 and clear at Settlers Ridge. Fun, fast and surprisingly empty! I still enjoyed the ride!

Village Newbie
    Sep 2012
    Made my trek across the desert, I ran across trails that I didnt know about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Test ride my new (like new used) Stumpjumper Comp HT 2009 for 2.5 miles around the neighborhood. I walked out of the bike several times in attempts to do a wheeli. Huge difference between my old Trek 820 ST and this beauty.

Page 21 of 105 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 71 ... LastLast